Growing suggestion 8,000 to 30,000 scovilles

Ok now that I have proven that I can grow hot peppers fine, I want to amp things up a bit. Could anyone suggest a hot pepper between 8,000 and 30,000 scovales, that is as useable, prolific, and wonderful as Jalapeños, but an oddessy in the garden? In other words, unique... I give a lot away and most folks will go no higher than 30,000.

My one boss that I warned about my habs ruined her spaghetti after not heeding my warning. Lol. I said no more than one hab for a pot of chili, so I imagine the spaghetti should have been half that. Well they threw a bunch in.

My husbands boss, said he could never get peppers hot enough. For some reason he doesn't like my habs. He fried some up and put them on a steak sandwich. Ouch.... Insert evil laugh...

There is nothing that comes to mind that is as usable as the jalapeno. It is in my opinion the most versatile pepper there is.

You might want to try rocotos

Geonerd said:
Big Jim Only 3k or so, but they are, well, big.
Lumbre.  The ones I've grown are toasty!

Give these a look - the hotter New Mex varieties ->  http://www.sandiaseed.com/hotvery.html

These will provide more than enough heat to feel, but not so much that you can't dump a respectable amount of peppers in a pot of chili or spaghetti sauce.  IMO, peppers should be food as well as a spice.  :)
big jims are fantastic. i had a seed pack from new mexico state university.

they were like bells tho, not really even a hint of heat. they were kinda smokey tho.

your big jims has noticeable heat tho? i might have to buy some off that company.

edit:

these http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/cart/product/39/numex_big_jim/

queequeg152 said:
big jims are fantastic. i had a seed pack from new mexico state university.

they were like bells tho, not really even a hint of heat. they were kinda smokey tho.

your big jims has noticeable heat tho? i might have to buy some off that company.

edit:

these http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/cart/product/39/numex_big_jim/

I grew my BJ from one of several BJ varieties that arrived on a seed train.  Like a dummy, I didn't note which strain I planted. :rolleyes:

Happy to send you some seeds.  They're OP, but since 90% of the other peppers I'm growing are hotter, that might actually work out fairly well. :dance:

Geonerd said:
I grew my BJ from one of several BJ varieties that arrived on a seed train.  Like a dummy, I didn't note which strain I planted. :rolleyes:

Happy to send you some seeds.  They're OP, but since 90% of the other peppers I'm growing are hotter, that might actually work out fairly well. :dance:
thanks for the offer, but idk what im doing next season yet. stuffing peppers are likely high on the list though.

ScottRobertsWeb has a pretty good list of chiles with heat and descriptions.  Quite a few in the 8-30k range.  The list can also be modified to include sauces.

dash 2 said:
     +1 for serrano. One of my favorite varieties for flavor, especially when red and ripe. Also, Aji lemon drops would be a good choice. Unique flavor and ridiculously productive.

Got the lemon drops already.  Great for Salsa!  May make a small trial batch of honey lemon drop sauce tonight for kicks.

Wow, love all  the suggestions.  I need to check out the specs on each of these now.  Extremely productive ones are a bonus.

I just adore the Jalapenos but so did the rabbits and I suspect some other creatures.  They also love my bird bath to wash em down....

Back