• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing with Light

Stupid question here. If you have 1 bulb producing 1600 lumens, does 2 equal 3200? and so on 3,4,etc? Looking at the cfl bulbs here at work 23W CFL 100W equiv. 1600 lumens

I've been using flourecent lights. I have six sets of "hanging shop lights". Each ballast has two flourecent lights. The first one emits a light pink color, and the second emits light blue. Since flourecent lights have a half life of about 6mo, I use a sharpie to put the date on each light when it goes in and replace them after 9-12mo. I like to think of the time after the half life and before the replacement as their mini-winter. Since I plan to grow inside my apartment year round, that's the closest they'll get.

Of course this isn't ideal.... but there's no fire concern, it's pretty cheap, and it's very predictable. In my case, I want the lights as close to the plants as possible due to low lumen output.

JH4FSU: Putting two 1600 lumen bulbs next to each doesn't equal a 3200 lumen bulb. It equals two 1600 lumen bulbs. Properly placed, this can probably get close to being able to mimic 3200 lumens, but I don't think that's easy to do. The less lumens, the closer the bulbs need to be to the plant to do any good. That's not a linear relationship either. The biggest risk is too few lumens being put out with too much heat that getting the bulb close enough to do any good hurts the plant.

I'm far from a decent gardener, but I at least attempted to do my light research beforehand and I _think_ I have a decent enough handle on it to offer my thoughts. :)

That sounds good, maybe i should get my bulb a little bit closer to my plants as my bulb is a low lowwww number of 900 Lumens, Today I might stop at The Home Depot and Re Up on either More Jiffy Pellets or a Nice enough Bulb, im not sure as the bulb as its getting Hotter here in So Cal, and I can Take the Plants Outside already

Back