• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growth rates

Started these about the same time. The chocolate Habanero have just taken off, but the baby Bhuts seem to be lagging a bit. Is this typical or should I be treating them differntly?
Graothrates002.jpg

most definitely typical.
chocolate habs are generally thought of as pretty robust plants, they'd beat anything except maybe a brain strain in terms of plant vigor (only counting c. chinense though).

Looks about normal to me too. If anyone is in a hurry for heat growing Bhuts isn't the answer. I started my BJ's on 11 January and they are still a ways off from ripe fruit.

Wow! those plants have an awesome start, kind of "a horse of a different color" between the two of them. Your bhuts look like my CPI bhuts and my THSC douglahs, in color at that stage. Wonderful start the chocolate had makes a great sauce as well as a grinder for chili powder.....good luck and post more photos!

Bhuts are slow in everything - slow to germinate, grow, produce pods and finally - slow to ripen. But they are worth it, best chili ever IMO. Patience. Those plants look great!

I guess I'm a bit backwards. Chocolate chinenses are usually the latest pod setters for me and many of these types seem only semi-productive. I never seem to have any problems with bhuts/nagas growing or germinating. Maybe its just my climate

I started my bhuts in mid feb and I JUST got my first two blooms about a week ago and now I have my first fruits setting (Pretty excited since this is my first superhot season) but the plant has bulbs/open flowers all over it! I will say that they take MUCH longer than most other C. Chinense though.. Good looking plants though, Good luck this season!

Im with Potawie, but in a totally different climate. My bhuts grow as fast or faster than many other Chinenses down here.

I'm in between Milworkman and POTAWIE in climate and geography, and I agree too. The chocolate varieties are all slowest for me. Bhut jolokia, bih jolokia, yellow bhut, dorset naga, etc. are some of my biggest and fastest growing plants aside form baccatums.

My Bih Jolokia was the 2nd of my January starts to set fruit and as of yesterday is begining to change color. Guess I also should mention that it's 2nd only to my Baccutum (lemon drop).

bhut that can't bih...sorry couldn't resist.

Given the understandable confusion between the two it's hard to say if what I have is truly one or the other but at the very least it is a jolokia. Close enough....no?

Ok, I'm always open to a lesson or two, but here's my question...so far as bhuts, bihs and nagas go are they not closely related? I'm saying if your going to compare growth and habits wouldnt a better match up be Bhut and bhi as opposed to Bhut and say something Like a scorpion or red savina? ...no?

Yes, and it can also depend on the seeds source. Some people's bhuts grow just like other people's nagas or bihs. Its hard to know exactly what everyone is growing since these types get mixed up easily being so very closely related

Yes, and it can also depend on the seeds source. Some people's bhuts grow just like other people's nagas or bihs. Its hard to know exactly what everyone is growing since these types get mixed up easily being so very closely related

+1 on the seed source. The bhuts i have been growing seem to grow at the same rate as other plants and chocolates seem a bit slow. I do agree though Brain strains just take off very fast.

My Bhuts grow faster than all others in my garden and flower a whole lot more. Only problem is 100% of the flowers always drop off of them. I don't know what is wrong with the Bhut's, but my largest harvest so far with them is... 1 pod. I'm hoping this year will be different, We'll see. I think in my case it is due to way to high a temperature both day and night for pollen. I think it just kills the flowers before they get a chance to form pods. The Bhut's do seem to flower a lot later than the rest of what I grow.

Back