• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music Guilty Pleasure: Christmas Music

I...uh...I...uh

*shuffles feet*

*looks down*

I, uh, I like Christmas music.

nononononono...waitwaitwait! Not that stuff they play in the mall, over and over, and over. I like *quality* Christmas music, like Lou Rawls doing "The Little Drummer Boy" or Pearl Baily belting out "5lb Box of Money, or Louis Armstrong doing "Christmas Night in Harlem". Stuff like that. And, you know, the fun stuff, like "Walking 'round in women's underwer" or Snoopy's Christmas or Bruce doing "Santa Claus is coming to town". And some of the peaceful stuff, like one cd I have that's all guitar.

*sigh*

I feel better now that I've gotten that off my chest.

We don't celebrate Christmas here, so at least I don't have a clue what you're talking about. :whistle:
Although it does sound like a lot of fun. :think:

I don't do the holidays, but I do enjoy the music. Bing's version of White Christmas always brings a smile to my face. Hell, anything Bing brings a smile to my face.....that man can croon.

It seems like most big music stars record at least one traditional Christmas song in their musical life. And that song, good or bad, gets trotted out and played over and over from Thanksgiving (this weekend) to Christmas(December 25). Then there are the "family friendly" church/boys/girls/glee choirs that all have a go at sucking the life out of Christmas songs before recording them. Those get a lot of play at the malls, and they do a lot of live performances every freaking place I go this time of year. It's very, very easy to get thoroughly sick of Christmas music.

...but I like the good stuff.

Omri said:
We don't celebrate Christmas here, so at least I don't have a clue what you're talking about. :whistle:
Although it does sound like a lot of fun. :think:

It's ok...you're not missing much. You just can't drive anywhere for about a month. You have to dodge mad mothers in mini-vans who now think they can qualify for NASCAR and won't hesitate to take some paint off your car in the parking lot. Rude people at all of the stores and markets....not to mention long lines. Bratty, screaming kids everywhere you look. I'm not even going to talk about the awful music that's played on an endless loop....

Yep, nothing but fun.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I can't stand holiday music, even Trans-Siberian Orchestra; Savatage should have stuck to what they know best, melodic rock/metal. Thankfully I have my iPod with me whenever I go shopping, so I can dial up something to drown out the sap.

personally i can't stand the holiday music. my parents used to put that stuff on every year all the time, so i sort of grew to despise it.

could be worse though..i'll take christmas music over pop music any day.

Personally, i grew up watching "A Charlie Brown Christmas", so i finally broke down and bought Vince Guaraldi's album.

That and the fact that my old man pretty much burned Mitch Miller's holiday album into my freakin soul when i was a kid, so i wound up getting that a few years ago as well.

And my buddy just picked this one up, and i'm afraid it's so good i'm going to have to own it also.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Christmas-Cocktails-Various-Artists/dp/B0002W4UQQ
Nothing beats christmas lounge music.

I still dont know if I love christmas or hate it..I do a big meal every year for it..hell every holiday and have tonnes of guests...the way I look at it its damn expensive.The music drives me nuts but I have a tonne of christmas songs from David Allen Coe I enjoy lol

Trans-Siberian Orchestra ftw. That is all.

(Oh, and some of the classical piano christmas stuff is awesome too...mainly because I can play it =P)

~Trexxen

Last night the Puppy Au Pair was underfoot, telling me about her latest crush. I had a Christmas compilation that my brother put together called "Frosty gets Funky" that's bluesy/soul/funky sorta. She loved it, and wanted a copy. Of course, it has "Walking 'Round in Women's Underwear" on it, too, which would be enough to endear it to any teenager's heart, but she liked it before we got to that song.

Back