Guinness

guinnessblack.jpg

I love drinking guinness, I've never tried the extra stout (like omri's pic) but will soon!
though I've drank plenty of the regular guinness & now the 250 yr stout (which is very tasty!!!)

at least the 250 special doesnt have the stupid plastic plug like the other. both say they're brewed in ireland.

DSCF2836.jpg

lee said:
We have a Irish pub where I live and had some Guinness off course. Looks like a glass of black coffee but the taste is good!!.

I agree. Just make sure it is very cold. It really does make all the difference in the world when in come to Guinness.

Guinness rocks! Try a Guinness float with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream in it or better yet the "Irish Car Bomb." - half a pint of Guinness, drop a shot of half Bailey's and half Jameson in and chug

imaguitargod said:
And even better than that is Moonshine! :P

I've only had moonshine once. Some real authentic backwoods stuff my cousin got somewhere in Western North Carolina made from pears. I got completely trashed at a hotel in Jersey, cops were involved(nobody got arrested though), fun night :)

chilehunter said:
I love drinking guinness, I've never tried the extra stout (like omri's pic) but will soon!
though I've drank plenty of the regular guinness & now the 250 yr stout (which is very tasty!!!)

at least the 250 special doesnt have the stupid plastic plug like the other. both say they're brewed in ireland.

DSCF2836.jpg
Me not liky draught... extra stout is way better. That 250 one looks a lot like the extra stout... I want one! (or ten)

chilehunter said:

Do you mean the rocket widget? If so, it's functional, it has nitrogen in it that gets released when you open it so simulate it being on tap.

So how is the 250th anniversary stuff? I've yet to find it, even at my regular beer store which is a beer snob paradise. They said they'll have it soon though.

Thanatopsis said:
Do you mean the rocket widget? If so, it's functional, it has nitrogen in it that gets released when you open it so simulate it being on tap.

yes & yes I know what its for its just that I kinda find it annoying having those in my beer, I'm not a big enoungh beer snob to tell the difference with or without them.

Thanatopsis said:
So how is the 250th anniversary stuff? I've yet to find it, even at my regular beer store which is a beer snob paradise. They said they'll have it soon though.

well that sucks for you :lol: every liqour store around here has plenty of the stuff :P my only problem is I'll drink it instead of saving it :oops:
the 250 tastes better than the extra stout & draught styles, its more smoother & .....mmmmmm.... its just tasty! sorry not much for beer snob reviews, you'll like it!

oh yea the 250 is only during 2009 so get it while it lasts, which I'm kinda surprised your store hasnt had any in stock yet.

i usually dring lager but this one i like - strong bock type. and its the only beer i know brewed traditional way and not with the industrial "high gravity" way.
now its available all year but earlier it was available only sometimes in small batches. no additives etc. try it if you have a chance.

Beerswimmer said:
You guys really need to try Beamish. I might actually prefer it to Guinness!!! :shocked:

Guiness is good but Beamish is top of my league - there's nothing quite like it. Best stout I ever had though was brewed by Courage. It was called Imperial Russian Stout and it was 11% vol. Try a Black Death - half stout, half barley wine - 4 pints of that just wipes you out.

worlok said:
Technically speaking, some people think that the farther you get from Ireland or the brew source, the worse it tastes. My wife is the daughter of Irish immigrants and she won't drink it except in Ireland. I know that any Guinness drank in North America is actually brewed in Canada, not Ireland. Same for Fosters - Canada, not Australia.

Is Guinness brewed in Canada Irish? Is Fosters brewed in Canada Australian??

Anyway, some of this is silly. My wife is silly. It's all in her head. An Indian friend was telling me that his wife won't drink Mango Lasse unless she is in India. Similar thought process at work, methinks.

The Guinness stout we get in bottles here in Australia are mostly brewed in Australia under licence by Calton United and they taste like total CRAP!!!! I've had the Stout brewed at the Guinness factory and it's heaps better...

Also (being a fan of the draught) I haven't tasted the draught from a keg poured at the factory but I do know for a fact that in Australia they use a different gas mixture than they do in Ireland in the kegs, and they are poured at a slightly higher pressure to suit the general Australian market...:( So even if we think it tastes great, we still aren't getting it exactly the same as in Ireland.

Moyboy, I've heard plenty of Irish people say the Guinness here is better than in Ireland. Might have something to do with the water quality. It's always best from the tap but I'd say the cans with the widget are quite good. I've had Guinness in Scotland and thought it was much of a muchness but I didn't drink it quite as much back then. I think my next trip to the UK will include a little detour across the Irish Sea to St. James's Gate....

fair enough then.......I guess it's really hard to seperate the story from the truth and you can only work on your own personal experience.:)

Guinness is a marketing ploy. I wouldn't call it crap, but it isn't that great either.

It is the gateway beer for the bud lite crowd.

Haven't you heard 1 too many tools say "I like bud lite and coors, and guiness"?

Sorry, but I have.

It is SO 1 dimensional.

Roasted malt and maybe some black patent.........

Also the "widget".....why does it require special equipment?

I know it provides the special nitrogen, but would Young's be better with a widget?

I think a beer should stand on it's own, without special help.

That is why Corona also sucks.

Without the lime, it tastes like arse.

cheezydemon said:

Funny how a lime used to keep flys of the bottle (in Mexico) became a staple on all Coronas here. Oh and watching the ole "thumb over top, turn bottle" college trick is hilarious.

cheezydemon said:

I agree with this 100%. Here in Australia, Corona is only drunk by most people because it's the drink to be seen with if you're a snob or want to look cool. Most of the people that are drinking it at the pubs and clubs don't even like it and you can see it on there faces most of the time...:lol:

I put a lime in a miller high life (cause those suck too) and it was better than a corona with a lime...

I take my coronas with like 1/2 a lime in each bottle to dilute out the shitty taste of the beer.;)

Like I said, limes (or other fruit) and widgets are LIFE SUPPORT for mediocre brews.

Back