• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Guitar Question

Okay so I know that A LOT of you know how to play guitar. Well I have always wanted to learn so I decided now was as good a time as any. So, I have decided to start on acoustic for a number of reasons. Now on to the question.....the link below is to the guitar I am looking at buying, do you people in "the know" see any red flags or anything else I should know or look out for. The main reason I really want some input here is because I have been told if you try to learn on a junker you will get frustrated and quit. So with that said, please check it out and lemme know if you think its an ok deal.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-F345-Sycamore-Top-Acoustic-Guitar-103413217-i1166367.gc

Thanks in advance to all of you!

GK...that's a copy of a Gibson J45 essentially. Its probably one of the better copies as well. For the money, if it feels and sounds good, a good deal. If at all possible, put your hands on it and see how it feels to you.
Cheers, TB.

I will echo what TB said...Yamaha's are a good breakin guitar..

I have to agree that you should definitely try the guitar before buying it, play it, see how it feels and if it doesn't feel good, avoid it like the plague!

smilie_musik_093.gif

I'm of a different opinion. Check me, Holmes.

My father fancied himself a musician - he really is a pretty decent guitar player. His brother is a luthier, one of his childhood friends are luthiers, so I've kind of grown up around guitar players.

I'm going to tell you this:

$400 will get you a decent guitar, but $300 and then $100 at a guitar pro for a tune up will get you a REALLY decent guitar.

Yamahas are decent guitars. You don't really want to spend too much learning. But learning on a crap guitar can be painful and discouraging. You're certainly in the "safe" zone with that one. But, if you have a little extra coin, it's totally worth bringing it to a professional luthier for a "set-up." Typically costs 50-75 bucks. They'll do all kinds of stuff - adjust the truss rod for the strings you feel comfortable using, just to tweek out as much action as possible out of that thing. Have I sold you yet? Do it.

klyth said:
Have I sold you yet?

Yep, thank you and thanks to everyone else who has given their opinion. I sure do believe this is the one. Now maybe in a couple of years I can actually play a song. HAHA

First order of business with learning to play....learn your scales...

It's good you are learning on an acoustic.
The acoustic instruments seperate the men from the boys !
I like electrics too, but ... take the sound effects away from it and then it all comes down to playing.
I've seen people clap for effects because of a paticular sound. As a guitar player I am more impressed by what one can do with an acoustic or classical.
Sound effects can cover up weak playing. A straight up acoustic though tells it like it is.
I agree with AJ, learn your scales !!
Also practice every day.
Challenge yourself !

my first guitar was a yamaha..i loved that thing. however, it wasn't an acoustic. don't really know much about the acoustics really. i learned on electric and still play electric. have thought about buying my brother's ovation though.

definitely shoot for a balance of lower price and decent guitar for your first one. no need to spend all kinds of money on a guitar that has features you don't know how to fully take advantage of..or even in the unlikely event you decide you don't much care to play the guitar, or you want to play a different instrument.

good hunting, and have fun! i love the guitar because you can keep on playing it and playing it..all the while getting better and better. well..until you get to a certain point i guess.

I have been playing for almost 47 years and learn something new each time I play...I am spoiled with my Martins...won't play any other guitar except my HD-35 or D-45...

These guitars are workhorses and their warmth and depth of sound and resonance is unparalleled by any other guitar I have played or have heard played....

HD35 Left, D45 Right

hd35d45rq9.jpg

Shot of the backs...same thing HD35 Left, D45 Right...as you can tell the HD35 gets a lot more use than the D45 does...

hd35d45backsas7.jpg

klyth said:
The HD35 was my fathers weapon of choice. Beautiful sound.

as is mine Klyth...I honestly believe it has better depth of sound and resonance than the 45. I think it may be just the age difference...the 35 is almost 20 years old and the 45 is almost 8...it was my 50th birthday present from my wife....I had a 76 HD-28 that someone stole and it was the best of all of them...it was the first year Martin brought back the HD28

I have played those and they sound good...great for the money IMO...after all, it is a Fender...when you get it and get used to hearing the sound it produces check out the sound differences other woods (for the back and sides and top for that matter) develop...

Looks good, but then again, looks are not everything. Go to the store and play it, see how you like it.

I started on a 3/4 size accustic guitar with really heavy gadge guitar strings, a neck in serious need of adjustment, and a bent, used Fender guitar pick (still have the guitar too, but it's in better shape now). It doesn't matter if you start out on a shitty guitar. It's the will to learn that should drive you.

Also, the first thing you need to learn are your scale. LEARN ALL THE SCALES up and down! Don't worry about chords yet, they'll come when you know all your scales.

So speaketh I M A Guitar God!

: loud thunder sounds :

:)

imaguitargod said:
Go to the store and play it, see how you like it.

Well, since I don't know how to play yet, I went to the store and held it. They didn't have one for sale there so I had to order one. The one I held was the store owners personal and I loved it, so yeah, I didn't just buy it for looks, it felt "right" in my hands.

gardenkiller said:
Well, since I don't know how to play yet, I went to the store and held it. They didn't have one for sale there so I had to order one. The one I held was the store owners personal and I loved it, so yeah, I didn't just buy it for looks, it felt "right" in my hands.

The feel of the instrument is the important thing, and the best one isn't necessarily the most expensive....like IGG says, practice is the main thing...scales to improve your coordination and dexterity.... and go to a good teacher right from the start because it is awful hard to un-learn a bad habit once you get used to playing a certain way...good luck!

Back