• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Gumbo time

Roux's up
vvegx36.jpg

Let this simmer down na..
97ZhZV2.jpg

For me it's all in making the seafood stock !!!!
Shrimp heads , fish bones and head from what I catch , blue crab shells , then stock added to my Roux !

I always over baby the roux. Takes hours and last time separated in the gumbo. Tasted good bit didn't look as pretty as yours. After horribly burning one I'm gun shy.

Alynne said:
I always over baby the roux. Takes hours and last time separated in the gumbo. Tasted good bit didn't look as pretty as yours. After horribly burning one I'm gun shy.
I would say it takes around 10 mins for mine. I didn't always get them as dark. One it starts to really boil I turn the heat down to about 75% and pull the pan off the burner if I need to "catch up". I used to use a spoon. Way better with the wisk. If you try to leave it on the burner too long or too high you will either burn it, or chicken out and pull it prematurely. Worse case scenario, you burn it, and have to start over.

Oh, hell. I usually spend literally 3 hours on a roux. I must fix this. Initially tried to use chicken grease from browning the pieces, but the bits burned. Here's what I get. It's pretty but as I said seperates and takes hours. I use a 50/50 flour and oil. The white spot is just a light reflection.

image.jpeg

+1 on what Ozzy said. Crank the heat up snd stir fast. If you can't keep up, just pull it off the heat and keep stirring. Once it's completely done boiling off the flour moisture, It should only take a few more minutes to brown it, and just a few more to get a good chocolate roux worthy of gumbo.  :drooling:
     With all this talk, now I'm gonna have to make gumbo this weekend.  :tear:

:dance:

edit: I would argue that the worst case scenario isn't making a "black roux", but it's using a plastic whisk and having it melt into the roux. Seriously, how hot does that shit have to be to melt a whisk made of food-grade plastic?   :think:

I cook mine over mediumm heat and it take 10-15 minutes. One thing I have learned is to keep it the consistency of melted ice cream. If it starts to thicken up add more oil. But you really don't want it black. Milk chocolate is a good color to go for. Dark chocolate if you can handle it. I just use a metal serving spoon when stirring.

Alynne said:
Oh, hell. I usually spend literally 3 hours on a roux. I must fix this. Initially tried to use chicken grease from browning the pieces, but the bits burned. Here's what I get. It's pretty but as I said seperates and takes hours. I use a 50/50 flour and oil. The white spot is just a light reflection.

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
That looks like it will work to me.

rghm1u20 said:
Can anybody, please, share the entire recipe? The fast version, please, as Ozzy wrote. If not, I will send to all of you my picture, salivating. Twice a day!
chop a bunch of celery and saute' that in the roux, when that is done add 3 chopped bell peppers and 3 large chopped onions. Now if you are not making seafood gumbo, add your meat and brown it. When that is browned add stock, add 2 bay leaves, 2 tbl. garlic powder, 1 tbl. cayenne (to start), 1 teaspoon of black pepper. 1 tsp thyme.

Now if you are making a seafood gumbo, add broken halves of crabs when you add the meat above. Add other seafood the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time. 

Last 5 minutes add a tbl. of gumbo file. Salt and pepper to taste, taste it the last 10 minutes and adjust all spices.

Hot Stuff is the authority for sure, but I'll just add what I used for reference.
4 cups chopped white onion
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped green pepper (I actually use poblano)
2 tbs minced garlic
Whatever other peppers you may want and or okra too. If you do use okra your best to cut it up and throw it in a pan for a bit to get the sliminess out.
2 lbs andoullie sausage
2-3 chicken breast (I used some leftover pulled pork this time)
I believe it's 8 cups chicken stock according to the recipe. I used half seafood stock this time.
Long grain rice
Cook the chicken in your pot and brown the sausage and then pull it out. Use your spices liberally on the chicken. I used a Bayou Blend I bought while I was there. (I'm almost out :( )
Slice the chicken and sausage up.
Throw your veggies in the pot and cook to desired thickness. This is when I make the roux. Once the roux is done and the veggies have softened a bit I pour in the roux. Be careful if it still super hot. It will splatter pouring on the veggies.

After that is stirred up I pour in the stock/stocks and bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for 45mins-1hour. Then serve on the rice and add some green onions. I actually add the file into my bowl.

Alynne said:
Percentage of oil to flour? I am always too woosy. Cook long and slow and it eventually seperates.
Like Ozzy said 1:1. I cook over medium heat. If it gets clumpy add a "little" more oil until it's like melted ice cream. If you're not sure, go buy some ice cream and let it melt.

Back