• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Guru's 1/8 Acre Fabriculture - 5 yr mothers

Yes they are a super hot in my book too. I think they just need to call the Scorps and such Ultra Hots. The ones you sent me were HOT. I de-seeded the soft ones and the rest got diced up with a few of my Jimmy Nardellos and all fried with some onion and bacon for a breakfast snack. :dance:
Damn. When I send you the other ones, you'll have to humor me and take one of yours, one of mine, then eat a big bite of each one and let me know how different they are!

Yeah, I replied back too! Glad you like the thread! Hope it has helped a few folks clear their heads of all the misinformation out there. This is all a lot easier than some make it...lol

I put the link to you your topic on a Dutch Forum (the forum from Mido, also in this board) I think more people would love it.... Last year my mother tried to overwinter one of my plants, but she failed because she didn't trim back. The plant also got a shock because the difference in temperature was to big. This year I want to try it and I have selected some of my plants. Do you use additional light, or do you put them just under a window?

I put the link to you your topic on a Dutch Forum (the forum from Mido, also in this board) I think more people would love it.... Last year my mother tried to overwinter one of my plants, but she failed because she didn't trim back. The plant also got a shock because the difference in temperature was to big. This year I want to try it and I have selected some of my plants. Do you use additional light, or do you put them just under a window?
You can keep them near a south facing window and they will stay "dormant" without much growth going on, but I like to supplement with at least some flouros.

Yes they are a super hot in my book too. I think they just need to call the Scorps and such Ultra Hots.
Ok...well after doing my own a/b on the Fatalii to Scorps. I have to say that the Scorps are pretty fucking hot. The Bhuts are childs play compared to my Fatalii and the Trin Scorps. The Fatalii I have are MUCH hotter than both Bhuts and Scorps once it hits your mouth....HOWEVER the Scorps are CREEPERS...they make you think they are just ok, but THEN! AHHHHHH!! They fucking burn your stomach SOOO bad and sometimes milk is a must. The Fatalii are hotter in the mouth and the Scorps are hotter in the tummy. So I guess I'll go ahead and give it to Butch....they equal out in my book. :)

Wow Guru, those are some ridiculous plants. You are definitely doing everything right! Eat one for me, hell eat 3 or 4 :dance:

Matt

I don't really have anything original to add but that was a cool video. The background music was a really nice touch. Your plants look great but that Fatalii is really impressive. It isn't only a huge plant but MORE importantly it is smothered in pods. You are not kidding about knowing what the plants want.

I don't really have anything original to add but that was a cool video. The background music was a really nice touch. Your plants look great but that Fatalii is really impressive. It isn't only a huge plant but MORE importantly it is smothered in pods. You are not kidding about knowing what the plants want.
Thanks you guys! Josh, all the mothers were the same size in the beginning of the season. The reason for the explosive early growth on the Fatalii is the soil mix and air pruning pot. If I lived in Spain or the Mediterranean, and had long enough seasons, in ground plants would surpass container plants any day. Oh, and just wait till you set a big ass air pruning pot on top of great top soil! WHOA! Talk about POUNDS....mmmmmm

Guru, your plants seem to have 0 problems podding up podding up in the summer heat. as soon as it hit the upper 90's here in houston all my chinenses started dropping flowers. can you comment on that?

amazing plants btw.

Guru, your plants seem to have 0 problems podding up podding up in the summer heat. as soon as it hit the upper 90's here in houston all my chinenses started dropping flowers. can you comment on that?

amazing plants btw.
Ya know, like I said before, I just don't get flower drop. The only time I have ever had flower drop is when something wasn't right with my soil, or just after a transplant shock. Even after a heavy feeding on very young plants but never on healthy, established plants. I don't think heat is a major contributing factor, that I can say. If it ever really is, then its gonna be your root zone temps and not the foliage.

Thanks again!.... feeling a little better now?
No Prob. Well, the docs gave me a steroid shot in the rear so I sort of feel like super man right now. Just trying to take it easy. Whenever a cold is able to affect me, it usually leads to my lungs filling up with mucus. Its horrible, but Im feeling better as the days go by. Just trying to eat as many fresh peppers and truffles as possible :)

Something interesting for you guys to check out: I was talking to a gal over in the OZ thread. She had been recently hit with the dreaded fungus :( I was telling her not to give up and that things can make a full recovery. Well she took her seeds to a "lab" and they confirmed her disease etc etc and advised her it was un-curable. While that may be true, I also told her there is no such thing as "disease" free. There are just billions of spores everywhere, waiting for the right conditions to colonize. In your seeds, in your soil, in the air, its just everywhere. So instead of worrying about which came first, the chicken or the egg, she should apply some corrective techniques and use some sulpher/aact tea sprays to get rid of her problem. I told her things would, and should bounce back. She decided to take the lab's advise and terminate. Well I put something together for her from random posts of my 2009 grow where I encountered the same problem and thought I'd share it with you guys as a true testament to how things can turn out with a little faith and distrust of the status quo. :) Here is the reply I made up for her :

Let me show you something...
Back in 2009, I was hit fairly hard by the stuff. This is what my babies looked like before it hit me.
Just gettin some sun today. Airing out the ole greenhouse.

Red Pumpkin Habaneros
3423962321_171069a365.jpg

Fatalis
3423966975_fc47ba0e0c.jpg

Feels great out today. Beautiful:cool:

This is when it first started to hit me.

3458578532_974d9e1236.jpg

This was after set out and some very bad weather conditions AND even aphids!....getting worse almost lost EVERY leaf.

3494308276_e2f1dfd95a.jpg

3494312470_d5ff24fa44.jpg

3494315384_257ce43be8.jpg

This was after my sulpher and AACT applications...bouncing back

Time for a bit of a June update:

Back in early May I got hit REAL HARD by a nasty strain of fungus that nearly wiped out everything I transplanted into the garden from the greenhouse. I assume all the CRAZY ass wet weather Georgia was getting didn't set to well too long with the peppers. I nearly had 90% leaf drop on EVERY PLANT and things were looking very bad, so bad that I started 150 more plants just in case things went down the toilet. After a bit of sulfur treatments everything has bounced back with extreme vigor and this season is shaping up to be a good one! Everything is fine and dandy down at the big garden and I will post pics of that as soon as I get down there with the Ole camera. But for now here are some things from my personal backyard gardens.

Back Porch Garden
3602944465_42020184c3.jpg

And THIS is THEM two months later!

3904720200_00c9767876_b.jpg

As you can see. A full recovery is VERY possible :)

I think she is concerned about selling infected seeds as part of her chilli business.

From what I gathered the main issue is... even if you nurture them back to health you can't sell seeds from those plants to the public because the seeds can carry the disease. If she doesn't tell the customer and the plants get sick they won't be happy - very bad for business, and if she does tell them they might need to fight off an infection they will just buy from someone else who claims to have disease free seeds.

It's not a problem for the hobby grower. I had no idea that sulphur was so important. This is very good information and after seeing your very healthy plants I will keep this in mind for my coming growing season.

I think she is concerned about selling infected seeds as part of her chilli business.

From what I gathered the main issue is... even if you nurture them back to health you can't sell seeds from those plants to the public because the seeds can carry the disease. If she doesn't tell the customer and the plants get sick they won't be happy - very bad for business, and if she does tell them they might need to fight off an infection they will just buy from someone else who claims to have disease free seeds.

It's not a problem for the hobby grower. I had no idea that sulphur was so important. This is very good information and after seeing your very healthy plants I will keep this in mind for my coming growing season.

No, I really do get it. I just don't buy it. In the end its all about what makes you, the grower, more comfortable. When the grower is comfortable, the plants are comfortable. Its a symbiotic relationship. If starting over creates a better psyche for you then it will translate to a growing space that exists in total harmony and peace.

Its not that sulhpur is that important, its just that it easily corrects the "funk" by changing surface ph and inhibiting colonization. Hell, aact teas are better imo, they feed and boost plant immunity. But the suplhur can knock it out of the park real fast.

I told her next time she gets the "funk" Im coming down undah and personally blessing her grow area :high: :)

Here's some stuff I've been reading up on lately regarding the soil food web. I got a copy of "Teaming with Microbes", and its a informative read. A good diagram as well for visualizing the web.

the%20soil%20food%20web.jpg

Here's a nematode being preyed upon by beneficial fungis present in the soil near the root zone, that would have otherwise been wiped out by sythetic fertilizers! Amazing images via electron microscopes man :)

4432868822_4eb3c934e5.jpg

excerpt from Jeff Lowenfels:
Jeff Lowenfels: AACT (and only AACT) is the real deal

Lowenfels_j

Dr. Jeff Gillman, my friend and fellow Timber Press author, is correct. I do think the definition of “compost tea” is crucial to this discussion.

When I write about compost tea and promote its use to return biology to soils, I am speaking only of “Actively Aerated Compost Tea” (AACT), a term applied to the resultant of mixing compost, humus or vermin-products with non-chlorinated water and aerated twelve to thirty-six hours (depending on the brewer). Appropriate microbiological nutrients can be added, but don’t have to be, to increase the population or size (in the case of fungi) of microbes during the process. The mixture must remain aerobic for the entire brew with O2 remaining above 6ppm the entire brew.

I am not referring to compost leachate, the liquid that oozes out of compost when it is squeezed or becomes too wet. This might have a tiny bit of nutrient value, but contains relatively few micro-organisms from the compost. This is because it takes energy to remove bacteria and fungi from the compost.

Then there is compost extract. This is not AACT. This is the stuff produced by soaking a bag of compost (or, God forbid, manure) in water for a week or more. Except for an aerobic surface, most of the biology is anaerobic with none of the diversity of beneficial, aerobic micro-biota—the hallmark of AACT. I don’t consider these safe nor do I call them compost tea.

Manure teas? I won’t even use manure in my compost, much less soak a bag of it to make a tea. Using manure for anything in the yard and garden is asking for pathogens and e. coli in particular—not to mention a great way to apply things that don’t degrade in compost like tetracycline and other antibiotics used in animal feed and on animals. I don’t advise it for compost or for AACT.

For this reason, in particular, I discount any reliance on the NOSB (National Organic Standards Board) rulings. Aside from the politics the body has played (what the government has done to the word “organics” would be a great discussion), concern about the possible presence of e. coli in compost tea is misplaced. I know of not one single case where anyone has been injured by using AACT.

Sure you have to make it properly, but if you don’t have e. coli in your compost, how would you get it in your compost tea? You can’t and you don’t.

However, Dr.Jeff and I agree on more than we disagree, I think, starting with a fear of using manures.

And we agree on another point: unless you add organic matter or nutrients you can’t fundamentally change the microorganism make-up of soil for the better for any significant length of time. While Jeff also notes that compost teas only supply the micro-organisms, I would add that any competent compost tea program includes the addition of "microbe foods" (inappropriately called "fertilizers") as well as application of compost tea. Using compost tea is only part of a program to get soil biology where you want it.

Next, Dr. Jeff also notes—in my opinion, correctly—that you can add compost (and, I would add, the appropriate mulches as well) to restore life in soil that has been damaged by chemicals. But Dr. Jeff would have you wait a year to restore the life using compost. Part of his reasoning is based on fears of e. coli, which just don't exist in properly made AACT.

While I agree compost works and is terrific to use, I would suggest that addition of active aerated compost tea (yes, along with microbial food or organic matter) will speed that process up. One teaspoon of compost has 1 billion bacteria. Compare this to the 4 billion in one teaspoon of AACT. You just need to look at soil before and after application of a soil drench of compost tea to know it imparts microbiology to impacted soils. And you don’t have to wait a year. Think about it: AACT works faster because the microbiology is not bound up in the humus of the compost.

As to the key point, I agree that there have to be lots more studies published on the impacts of AACT and let’s do it with the kind of compost, brewer and quality those that make AACT use. My big beef with most of the studies I have reviewed thus far is that I am never sure they use good compost or actually make what I define to be AACT. ( And yes, it does take a bit of effort to make a good tea so it is definitely not for everyone. Compost and mulches do a great job.)

One popular machine, for example, doesn’t add air via bubbles, but rather an impellor that cuts up all the fungi. Use tea from this machine and your studies won’t show disease suppression requiring fungi. Or how about the popular university study that actually tested their tea with Soil Foodweb, Inc and were told that they didn’t have a tea worth using. Yet they went forward anyhow. The conclusion of these should be that “AACT doesn’t work if it is not AACT," not that AACT doesn’t work.

I am also the first to admit that there are not enough studies using real AACT and real compost to show there is a benefit to using them. Again, I am told they are coming and they will conclude as did "The Effect of Compost Extract on the Yield of Strawberries and the Severity of Botrytis cinerea" (Sylvia E. Welke Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, Vol. 25: 57-68, 2004), which states that "Aerobically prepared extracts improved yields (1.70 ± 0.08 t/ha) over the control (1.36 ± 0.11 t/ha) and water spray (1.37 ± 0.09) treatments and also reduced disease severity."

This is not to say the stories about the use of compost tea, the home studies and comparisons that are not considered “scientific” are not extremely useful and shouldn’t continue. After all, it's only been about eight or 10 years since folks have started to seriously use AACT and there have been vast improvements in systems and understanding the role of nutrients. Those of us involved with AACT have seen far too many "before" and "after" pictures of farms, golf courses, lawns, and vegetable gardens—and know of far too many stories of those who have rescued and then maintained gardens, farms and yards for several years now with only the use of AACT and a suitable food to sustain the micro herd. These were not parts of scientific studies, alas, but they are real life usages where real money was used.

The reported successes with AACT should heighten the desire to see well-executed experiments to test and perfect what is a relatively new practice. I know they did for me and I have made and used AACT to repair years of chemical abuse in my yard. I use it on all starts and new plants and conduct experiments constantly. Add me to the voices who claim “the stuff works” based merely on personal experience. But I have to tell you, hundreds of my neighbors agree.

Let’s do the studies. However, let’s do them properly. Not any old tea is Compost Tea!

Back