• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

Pepper-Guru said:
Ok.... I don't remember Papa Dreadie Select being such a head of cabbage before!

Thing does NOT want to go UP, only OUT!

2.25 inches from soil surface to main leading terminal ....

32780145727_39cbe50079_b.jpg

33846336638_b8bc87a93c_b.jpg
This reminds me of a trippy little plant that came from a packet of numex twilight seeds directly from NMSU Chili pepper institute. Crazy little plant. Have no idea what it may turn out to be...I think its trying to bloom and set now but I can't tell for sure.  Its less than 2" tall and the nodes are so close I can't even tell how many there are. Here's a couple of old pics...

8SqgroS.jpg

yyL0j5T.jpg

its been outside for over a month and its still staking on leaves, but saying the same height. 

I'll say it first, SAVE SEED!!!!!!!!

And plese share the saved seed.

That is so cool looking, or is it kewl?  I can't keep up with slang.
stc3248 said:
This reminds me of a trippy little plant that came from a packet of numex twilight seeds directly from NMSU Chili pepper institute. Crazy little plant. Have no idea what it may turn out to be...I think its trying to bloom and set now but I can't tell for sure.  Its less than 2" tall and the nodes are so close I can't even tell how many there are. Here's a couple of old pics...

8SqgroS.jpg

yyL0j5T.jpg

its been outside for over a month and its still staking on leaves, but saying the same height. 

stc3248 said:

8SqgroS.jpg

yyL0j5T.jpg

Oh yeah! That's pretty stout! I like that guy!

Orekoc said:
I'll say it first, SAVE SEED!!!!!!!!

And plese share the saved seed.

That is so cool looking, or is it kewl?  I can't keep up with slang.
^^^^Agreed.

Not to hyjack Guru...here it is today. I will keep follow on updates on this little guy over on my glog to keep from cluttering up this joint. There are some tiny blooms...but they aren't opening all the way. Hope to get some pods. Supposed to be Annuum, but obviously looking Chinense. Its siblings are all true to form and about 18" tall. Sprouted mid January.

yVijMyo.jpg

Lbw9Evk.jpg

tFZC8Lm.jpg

Once again sorry about the hyjack! 

stc3248 said:
Not to hyjack Guru...here it is today. I will keep follow on updates on this little guy over on my glog to keep from cluttering up this joint. There are some tiny blooms...but they aren't opening all the way. Hope to get some pods. Supposed to be Annuum, but obviously looking Chinense. Its siblings are all true to form and about 18" tall. Sprouted mid January.

yVijMyo.jpg

Lbw9Evk.jpg

tFZC8Lm.jpg

Once again sorry about the hyjack! 
No worries! Feel free to post updates in here too! That thing is crazy.

First fruit of the season for the past few years has been the Puna Miris from Sri Lanka and this year is no different, BUT this year there was one other....

A mini Rocoto ...

47782889112_44a8041024_b.jpg

Hardening off is underway and the plot is nearly prepared for plant out:

47840493162_57edea6a77_b.jpg

47892424711_03489b1366_b.jpg

47892425761_72d8074edc_b.jpg

Sri Lanka Chili Red GROWDOWN Pheno VS Original plus some variegation 

47892423411_91792e5959_b.jpg

47840490872_67d473b33d_b.jpg

Some irrigation adjustments and mods for more thorough saturation of container soil this year. Solid 1/4 drip tubing into a T into drip tubing with emitters every 6 inches. 

47840491912_d197346a68_b.jpg

Wow, I just went thru this entire glog... well I started yesterday. 5 years is a lot of reading, but some amazing stuff there. Your garden is incredible (so is the music, photography) glad I made it to the end. Keep feeding that soil

Mr.joe said:
Wow, I just went thru this entire glog... well I started yesterday. 5 years is a lot of reading, but some amazing stuff there. Your garden is incredible (so is the music, photography) glad I made it to the end. Keep feeding that soil

Glad you've enjoyed it! Has it been 5 years since I just started posting in this one? Time flies when you're having fun! There should be a few other glogs of mine floating around in here from the other 5-10 years. I gotta go back and read some of that one day, haha Glad to have you 

Devv said:
Excellent looking plants Rich! And quite the Bhut-load!

Going all in with containers this year?

Yep! All the peppers are planted in containers this season. Need to rotate to some other food items in the fenced, in-ground plot. Came off main line in up on the hill, so no more hauling hose or using all my good hoses just to get some water up hill from the house.  All the air pruning containers are planted now. Sun has been brutal, so about 3% of them experienced the slightest scald on some of the lower, older leaves. I think they are over it now, and the temps have dropped back down to around 87-89 from 96F the last few days. Should see some action soon. 

PaulG said:
Looking primed and ready, Rich!

I'm a tad envious of all your space.
Those rows of root pouches are quite
a spectacle, even empty  ;)

Thanks! Got all the air pruning containers planted now. The extras have been going to locals, any left after that I'll just pot up into smaller plastic containers and keep them in the holding bay/backups. 

Tomorrow I'll start getting them all caged. Wen't with sheep and goat fence this year, with the 4x4 squares to make for easier picking. The nets I'll order will slide down over those (shade cloth and some help with isolation). I think one good plant will provide enough seed of each variety for sure this season!  :lol:

Will also need to mulch these to help keep in moisture...gonna be a dry season I'm afraid. 

Made a snoot for one of my strobes with some black construction paper and then tapped a 2x barlow lens from my telescope onto the end. Created this nice circular corridor of light to beam across the face of this Mini Rocoto Flower. 

Juicy. 

47968830861_d8e9fd4a7a_h.jpg

Back