• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

H202 and/or aspirin for bac spot

I have developed a bad case of bacterial spot on the big trellis of bitter melon vines and I want to stop it before the whole garden gets wiped out. I plan to hit it with H2O2 diluted 1 cup per gallon today to try and slow it down. I also want to try ASA (aspirin) but I can't find any instructions for what strength to mix it? Also, does anyone know if it is OK to combine the H2O2 and aspirin in the same spray?

hey pepperwhisperer. i got a pretty bad run of bac spot this year too with a bunch of seedlings. i believe they were infected at the greenhouse they were shipped from, AND it was made worse by trop. storm debbie.. and the fact that i thought it was just stress from shipping.. any ways.. for month i had all those seedlings near my healthy plants, and 3 or 4 of them got it as well.. that was when i realized what it was.. aaannyhoo...

to treat i first went the liquid copper route. this didnt cure it, but i quarentined the sick ones, and treated 3 times with liquid copper.. i was told later by a green house owner that i know that that was suffecient to stop the spread. i then went in search of better methods to cure, and tried Bonide orchard spray. it also seemed to help some, but not a full cure.. Finally i went the AACT route.. and that has showed the best results.

this site says :

as far as the aspirin mix ratio i found a site that says mix it 1 regular strength per 1 gal. of water, with a few drops of dish soap to make it stick..

here is the link so you can read the whole thing.
http://greenbeanconnection.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/understanding-plant-diseases-what%E2%80%99s-fixable-and-what%E2%80%99s-not/

worth a shot.. let us know how it works, bac spot sucks, and the more cures that work we know about the better

I am also gearing up for AACT, but I need to spray something NOW and tea will take days to brew. I think I will try the aspirin tonight an see how it goes the next couple of days.

Aspirin needs to be childrens chew-able pulverized into dust. 80mg per gallon. Dont know about aspirin working on bacteria though. It stimulates the SAR to help fight virus like TMV. I would use neem oil and potassium silicate. Add the silicate to the water first and shake, then add neem oil. Do Not Use Soap, clogs your stomata. Spray once every three or four days.
Sidd

Back