• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hab Pepper Mill

I had a wonderful idea this morning. I was wanting to grind up some hab powder for a cookout at my parent's house today, but I was running short on both time and suitable containers. As I was scouring the kitchen for a reasonable alternative, I came across a nearly empty McCormick Black Pepper Grinder. With a bit of muscle and determination, I was able to pull the grinder from the jar without damaging it. I dumped out the wastrel amount of black pepper and crammed a small pile of dried hab halves in its place. I used a skewer to break them up just enough to allow them to move freely into the grinder. Then, I just pressed the grinder back into place.

Now I have the high quality taste and heat of fresh ground peppers with out the worry of degradation from delay of use that comes from accidentally grinding too much at once. Admittedly, the powder is not as finely ground as it would be from running it in a blender or a coffee mill. However, it is adjustable to current need, and you don't have to worry about accidentally capping the spouse's next milk shake or latte.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:615]

What I good idea. Never thought of that one. As I have several pepper mills just laying around. Since I got my great battery operated one. Will try this myself.

FYI Trader Joe's makes one like that but it's designed to be refillable. The top actually unscrews. The grinding mech is good quality and the whole thing is cheaper than the McCormick!

http://www.traderjoes.com/

Pretty cool place to find stuff you might not find elsewhere.
A Yupee type store.

Used to find semi rare stuff at a good price but they have gotten a lot higher priced lately.
They were known for finding good to great wines , nuts and cheeses for a while at reasonable prices.

Probably due to the crap they push on cooking shows these days and in blogs on the net prices aren't as great anymore unless they are having a sale.
They might be a little less these days but not all that great of a price anymore.

Gotta get your pickled snow tiger balls somewhere,don't ya?
Gotta make that chicken lips gumbo with real chicken lips....

If I was looking to buy one, I'd definitely find a better grinder than a McCormick. But this was free since it was saved from a near future trip to the trash heap.

Back