• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Habanada peppers

Gorizza said:

It probably cuts the sugar production and changes flavor. Think about the flavor change between green and red Jalapenos.
Possibly cuts the water supply and concentrates the sugars..?

Gorizza said:

It probably cuts the sugar production and changes flavor. Think about the flavor change between green and red Jalapenos.
Yeah, I understand the difference between green and ripe peppers.

I was just thinking it would be better to let them ripen fully on the plant, and then allowing them sit a few days after picking.

Jubnat said:

I was just thinking it would be better to let them ripen fully on the plant, and then allowing them sit a few days after picking.

because he prefers the flavor i guess

Jubnat said:

Actually was referring to the difference between eating a fully ripe pod off the plant, or eating a pod that was picked ripe but then left for a few days on the bench.

To me they seem to develop more flavour once the water supply is cut. This is just anecdotal though..

Jase4224 said:
Actually was referring to the difference between eating a fully ripe pod off the plant, or eating a pod that was picked ripe but then left for a few days on the bench.

To me they seem to develop more flavour once the water supply is cut. This is just anecdotal though..
Oh, I was confused, thinking that you picked them before they were fully ripe, because they turned yellow-orange after you picked them.

Jubnat said:
Oh, I was confused, thinking that you picked them before they were fully ripe, because they turned yellow-orange after you picked them.
Lol sorry I didn't really explain that the Aji Jobito starts off green then ripens to yellow. But if you give it another week or so it will eventually go orangish.. that's when it has the most flavour :)

I first starting eating them when they were yellow assuming they were fully ripe and wasn't amazed by the flavour but one day I saw one that was nearly orange that had been sitting in my kitchen for a week. I ate it and it was much nicer I thought.

DSCN9870 (800x591).jpg
DSCN0910 (800x592).jpg
I grew this season and love it.  No heat (maybe just a tad, ever so slight)  super sweetish perfume.  Made a Habanada ice cream with it too and flavour stayed distinct in the ice cream
Plant is a prolific producer with huge pods. 

Back