• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Habanero Fellow's 2013 Growlog

1st raised bed for the 2013 grow season.

RaisedBed.jpg

With the following peppers:

orange habanero, purple ghost, purple naga, butch T, TS original, red brain strain, TS peach, peach ghost, chocolate ghost, chocolate 7 pod, chocolate scorp, bhut jolokia_X_indian carbon. It's my first year growing supers.  About half were acquired from John Ford and the others were started as seeds.

Yes it's a PVC watering system.  There's a small hole drilled about every 6 inches.  It's connected to an 18 gallon bucket that I fill with rain water at watering time.  Thanks for the compliment about the plants.  This is my first year growing SUPER PEPPERS.

Annuum side of my Garden:

Anuum.jpg

A bit dry at time of picture due to lack of rain.

spicy_echo said:
Just cinderblock and add ingredients?
Just cinderblock and added composted leaf mold from my 8X8 compost coral.  I also add over 20 gallons of worm castings.

spicy_echo said:
Love the simple design. Do you put down a barrier before adding soil?

Thank you and I placed cardboard between the soil and the bedding.  Thinking that that will kill the grass and encourage worms into the bedding.

spicy_echo said:
Cool idea with the watering system. Does it water evenly?

Sometimes I have to manually water the corners of the bed.

StupidJerk said:
Near Hot Springs, right? I was way north, almost at the Missouri border, between Bull Shoals and Norfork lake.

That sounds like some awesome fishing there.  And yes I'm about 15 miles from Hot Springs in Hot Spring County.

Vegas_Chili said:
Put different types of basil in each cinder block or some ornametal just giving you an idea tho :D. I also love the watering system. Nice and simple.

, Walter
Thinkin the same thing. My son put hens n chicks in ours. Gives it a softening effect.

Wow marigold apparently grows alot taller there than it has for me.

Love the cardboard idea. I'm going to attempt a raise bed next year and was thinking of what barrier to use and my father in law had mentioned cardboard as well. Sounds cheap and easy and it really helps lock in some moisture when needed. 20 gallon of worm casting sounds like a lot but that's a decent size bed. I bet you have great results!

Current picture of raised bed.  Have a few pods forming, but most blossoms are still dropping.

A view of the annuums in ground.

It's black gold!! It's Vermi-Tea!!  Just part of a weekly treatment.

Back