• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Habanero Garlic Passion Fruit Sauce

got bored today and decided to whip up a small batch of sauce with some monster habs I had in the fridge. Intital flavor is very habanero with a hint of garlic and sweetness heat hits right away and leaves a nice all over mouth burn , gonna let this rest for a week or so in the fridge and give it another taste then.

Habanero Garlic Passion Fruit Sauce

5 large Habs (seeds and all)
1/2 cup Passion Fruit Pulp
6 cloves of garlic
1/4 onion
Sea Salt
Lime Juice
Dash of Honey
2 splashes of white wine vinegar
all blended then cooked down

habsauce1.jpg

sampled the sauce again today and now the garlic is coming through nicely, still very strong hab flavor, but thats what I was going for. I wanted this to be more of an add a splash or two for some hab flavor as an ingredient to a meal type sauce, and not really a slather over the top of something kinda sauce.
I cant quite taste the passion fruit but maybe that will change too after a couple days, overall its pretty good , pretty hot (hab heat) nice burn and very garlicky. nothing special but good so far, I have a long way when it comes to sauce making everything Ive made is pretty basic but I guess its alot of trial and error.

WickedMojo said:
only pic I have of it is after I bottled it up, its in the first post is it ot is it not showing up?

Yeah, I can see the piccy WickedMojo. I've never eaten passion fruit, but your sauce LOOKS awesome. That is one purdy sauce you got there.:)

The sauce looks great and those are some nice peppers ya got there. :hell:

I've used a lot of different fruits and I've learned that if you want the taste of a fruit to stand out it's best to double up on it and reduce it down so it's sort of a medium concentrate.

So in this case, 1 cup of Passion Fruit, splash of water (to keep the fruit sugars from buring/sticking), bring to boil then lower to simmer, stiring pretty much the entire time. It will thicken nicely--kinda like a thin syrup. If that's still not enough or not what you want to do, add more fruit. :)

Habanero's and fruit go really well together.

Sounds like you got a winner there. I must say Id probably be stupid and use it as a lather anyways! Love the garlic. Not a lot of posts and recipes Ive found overall dont use garlic. Maybe I like it too much. My gf says I smell like garlic when I sweat after I make certain dishes.

What kind of garlic did you use. Im thinking of trying to make my first fruit based sauce soon, and am thinking elephant garlic, or jumbo purple garlic. Elephant cause I can use more and get a solid flavor thats a little lighter. I like the jumbo too though because its robust and super delicious. Any ideas?

Also, what kind of habs you got there? Look good.

Ever use cilantro in your sauces? I have fresh cilantro, garlic, jumbo purple garlic, elephant garlic, scallions, onions, and garlic chives growing that I would like to use. Got some tomatoes, but they arent quite ripe yet. I want to get a balance of everything if I can. Maybe this is more for a salsa.

Back