• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Habanero Kimchi

A few more days fermenting and time to enjoy. Not traditional but close enough for me. This batch is going to like fire as it's made with red habanero flakes​
6815566788_ed12dc4d25.jpg

Have you seen the Pikliz thread? Lots of people say it's similar to kimchi, just not fermented.

I can't wait to give this a try!

This thread inspired a kimchi craving so I went to the local hippy food store and spent $14 for a pint of kimchi. It was so SOUR! I could only eat a bite or two at a time. It was lemon-sour, and even though it said "spicy"......:nope: Not Even.

So back to the store the next day. $5 for produce, $3 for vegetable starter culture, 7 days later....5 pints of KIMCHI!
Thought I had some prep pics, but can't find them. I'm sure you know what cabbage and green onions look like;)
1 lg and 1 small head napa cabbage
2 bunches green onion/scallions
garlic!
2 cups shredded carrots
1/4 c grated ginger
1 tsp red savina habanero powder
1 packet starter culture, salt, water

I had the whole set up in front of a wall heater to keep it warm. THe plastic bag was to trap the warm air and keep the whole jug warm. It worked pretty well.
807b603f.jpg

BUBBLES!
c1c9b3d1.jpg

60e9d05d.jpg

8aba5c82.jpg

the "other stuff"- I put some of the fresh kimchi "hooch" into the boughten stuff to see if it would mellow out the flavor at all. We'll see in a couple days-
23177be3.jpg

The water is cloudy, I think because I used kosher salt. I've heard that it can make brines cloudy, and pickling salt is the best to keep it bright.
346a6b1e.jpg

Flavor- AWESOME! it's tingley, and hot-spicy, even though you can't see the red sav habs, fresh, and not sour at all. Just a little bite. I ate about 1/2 a cup just getting it into the jars. Can't wait to try it chilled~

This is the culture I used- I know it'll start on it's own just fine, but I wanted to see if it would make a less-sour kimchi.

Thanks For the inspiration, NorCal!

I've been using kosher salt for all my kimchi and never had any problems. You want to avoid some sea salt and all iodized salt.

My recipe for Mak Kimchi

5 pounds Napa Cabbage
1 and 1/4 cups coarse sea salt or Kosher salt

Kimchi Stuffing

2 tbsp sweet rice flour or all purpose wheat flour
2 tbst finely chopped Saeu Chot (salted shrimp)
1 cup Gochu Garu (Gochu pepper flakes)
1 pound Korean radish or Daikon, cut into 3 inch matchsticks
1 red Gochu pepper, seeded, deribbed and cut into 1/4 inch strips
1 green gochu pepper, seeded, deribbed and cut into 1/4 inch strips
4 scallions, white and pale green part only, cut diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces
2 scallions, white and pale green part only, cut into 1 and 1/2 inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed and finely minced
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger root.
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped, freshly shucked oysters

wash cabbage and remove tough outer leaves for later use. Coarsely chop remaining cabbage and spread out in a large non-reactive bowl (stainless steel is fine). sprinkle with a cup of the salt and stir to mix. add remaining salt to a cup of lukewarm water, stir to mix and sprinkle evenly over the cabbage. Let sit for three hours, stirring every half hour to evenly salt the cabbage. The process will pull a lot of water out of the cabbage, but in the end it should still be crisp, like a dill pickle. Discard salt water and rinse the cabbage several times in fresh water and squeeze out between rinses. Set aside in a colander to drain and make the stuffing.
Dissolve the rice or wheat flour in a cup of water and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for two minutes, stirring constantly until it becomes a paste. Let cool. In a large bowl, combine flour paste, salted shrimp and pepper flakes, mixing well into a bright, deep red paste. Stir in cabbage and remaining ingredients. Pack into sterilized jars. Wipe up any remaining stuffing with the outer leaves reserved earlier and press the leaves down in top of each jar. Add enough sterile water to cover, but leave at least two inches of space at the top of the jar for expansion. Let sit at room temperature overnight. Taste brine for saltiness and add salt or sugar to adjust to your preference. Let mature for 2 or 3 more days at room temperature and transfer to refrigerator to stop fermentation. For more tang, leave out at room temperature for 1 more day. The kimchi will stay fresh for a month in the refrigerator, but will gradually become more sour.
1stbatchkimchi2011.jpg

Good effort- look OK to me. They usually put them gurt pots, use salt-water,chillies, some dried shrimp and other things depending one region, and bury them, there you go.I like to BBq mine.

I'm going to try and make kimchi, but without the seafood stuff. Question, after the fermenting you put
in in refrigerator. How long will it keep?

I'm going to try and make kimchi, but without the seafood stuff. Question, after the fermenting you put
in in refrigerator. How long will it keep?
I made 35 pounds the end of October and it's lasted me 'til now kept down in the cellar. It gets gradually more sour over time... by April you probably won't want to use it as a condiment though it makes good soup or stew base. I had some for lunch today with a package of chicken ramen and a small can of tuna fish.

I make kimchee during summer months, one pot at a time because I think it only tastes good fresh.
60106_479586457328_8260875_n.jpg

My latest thing is an Okinawa recipe using bitter melon (goya) instead of napa cabbage.

roper, it should last (theoretically) indefinitely in the fridge. I enjoy the fresh kimchee, but have been eating on a couple of homemade quarts for 6 weeks. Few bites every day, spicy and sour, I kinda wish it wasn't so spicy so I could eat more at a time.

aji, that is a fine looking jar!

(now, where else on the internet can you say something like "that's a fine looking jar' and people will approve! :lol: )

Back