• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Habanero-Mango Chutney

Habanero-MangoChutney.jpg

Habanero-Mango Chutney;

4 Habaneros
2 Mangoes (yellow sweet variety-ripe)
1 Medium yellow onion
12 Cloves of garlic
4 Tbsp. lime juice (fresh squeezed) (lemon is okay)
1 Tbsp. Aged rice vinegar (apple cider is okay)

Finely chop 4 seeded Habaneros
Finely chop the garlic
Finely chop the onion
Finely chop the mangos
Add lime juice and vinegar, mix well and refrigerate for 1 hour. This gives everything a chance to meld the flavors and to get the heat from the peppers. The yield is approximately 1-1/2 to 2 cups. Enjoy.

^ Celeste; yes, I have lived here for 7+ years. A good Habanero is hotter than anything I've found here. There are 2 prik kee nu ( chili shit rat, literal trans.) chilies here that are pretty spicy. The small one, which is the size of a rat turd, is pretty spicy, but the other one is red and about 2 - 21/2" long that is the hottest chili I have come across here. It is used in som tam (papaya salad) and has caused me some pain on occasion; but a good orange Habanero is way hotter than this chili. My wife (Thai) put a small spoonful of my chutney in her mouth and promptly spit it into the waste basket bitterly complaining it was way too hot. She didn't even chew. Not all Thais can handle heat. ;)
Anecdote aside, there are regional differences, but I've eaten all over the country and find the heat levels pretty consistent.
Thai peppers can be pretty hot; but far from the hottest. Cheers. :)

Thank you, AjarnV. I have been told that the Thai restaurants in this area are not representative of Thai food in general- apparently, they are all run by the same family. I have been told that Thai food in general contains more of the sweet/hot/sour/salt balance that I am familiar with from many other cultures. Our local "Thai" folk seem to be extreme chiliheads, then!

paulky_2000 said:
See...

I'd cook it a bit first to let the flavors meld.....unless I was going to use it as a salsa.

Looks wonderful!!

I was thinking the same, this does not look like a chutney to me but a take on pico de gallo. A nice pica de gallo though. What do you think about adding tomatoes? Oh and it seems to be missing cilantro ;) Just my take.

^ I would suggest that everyone should try any and everything they submitted as an alternative. The next time I make this I'll more than likely change the recipe; I would call this a recipe in progress.
I called it a chutney (possibly incorrectly) because it lacked tomatoes, cilantro, and possibly some bell pepper. My next harvest of Habaneros is about 4 weeks away; in the meantime I'm having to make due with Thai chilies. Cheers. :)

AjarnV ...... Very nice !! I'll give it a try.

Celeste I can't talk for AjarnV but I'm thinking that the heat may not have be what he was aiming for. I'm thinking flavor.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

The chutney looks very good. But for my Indian taste, it seems to have no other spices. 

What the heck, there is taste in simplicity and nothing can rob a very good recipe like yours of its wonderful appeal and taste.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Back