• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Habanero mash Hot Sauce

After recently reading several threads regarding making a pepper mash, I did some additional reading and research on my own and decided to give it a try and see what happens.
I decided on a 2-stage comparative approach of "known" ingredients (purchased)to "unknown" (my homemade mash).

Stage I.

I purchased a small jar of Habanero mash from Leeners along with a package of PH test strips (2.8 to 4.4)
and made the following recipe.

2 TBS Habanero Mash (12% salt by weight)
6 Roasted Anaheim chile's
1 C White Rice Vinegar
1 tsp Garlic powder
2 TBS Ancho powder
2 tsp Chipolte powder
1 tsp ground Coriander
1 tsp Curry powder
1 tsp Garam Masala powder
1 tsp teaspoon ground Cumin
1 teaspoon pickling salt

Mixed everything together and slowly heated to a simmer.
After simmering at 180(f) degrees for 5 to 6 minutes, I hot packed/bottled into woozies.
Notes:
(using color coded pH Test strips - 2.8 to 4.4)
1.Hab Paste measured approx. 3.6-pH straight out of bottle.(room temp 80 Deg.f)
2.Mixed ingredients measured approx. 3.8-pH at (75 Deg. f)
3.Measured approx. 3.8 pH after simmering to 100 Deg (f)
4.Measured approx. 3.8 pH when bottling at 180 Deg (f)
5.Measured approx. 3.8 Ph after 48 hours (opened 1 bottle)

Summary:
Had a healthy dose on top of some beans last night for dinner.
Saw the sun come up this morning, so I tried another healthy dose on my "Macs" breakfast burrito.
Gonna have another dose for lunch in about a half hour from now.... I'll let you know how that turns out.

(to be continued....)

Well. after consuming an ounce or so with beef tips at lunch, I have yet to turn green and/or require a trip to the hospital.
So I'll conclude that the "stage I" product is safe for (my) personal consumption.
And the icing on the cake is...its actually rather tasty, sort of like a "tuned up" chile/steak sauce.
However,there is no Anaheim chile's in the flavor....not a hint.

I plan to let the other two bottles age for a few weeks before opening and testing the pH level.

Stage II.

Having made fermented sauerkraut and pickles before with my grandmother, I feel confident and safe with the science behind the process as a whole.But I still decided to discuss some details with my Korean cousin,who always has a jar of Kim Chi in the fridge and another batch fermenting in a closet.

So,I purchased a pint sized "Fermented Vegetable Master" from Cultured for Health.
I considered making one myself, but since I was going to need an air lock anyway, and the cost for postage was going to be exactly the same,I went ahead and spent the $7.99 for their jar,lid/with grommet,and air lock.
(might even buy a 1/2 Gallon size for bigger projects)

I mashed 2-1/2 cups(12.5 oz by weight)of chiltepin's from my garden in a mortar/pestle.
I then added 2oz of pickling salt (approx.15%/by weight) and 1/2 TBS of whey.
(decided to mash rather than food process the chile's so I didn't chop up the seeds)

After pouring the salted mash into the fermenting jar, and adding water to the air lock, its been nestled into a dark corner of the spice cupboard.

TuxandGown001.jpg

I'll post the status from time to time....over the next month or so.

After recently reading several threads regarding making a pepper mash, I did some additional reading and research on my own and decided to give it a try and see what happens.
I decided on a 2-stage comparative approach of "known" ingredients (purchased)to "unknown" (my homemade mash).

Stage I.

I purchased a small jar of Habanero mash from Leeners along with a package of PH test strips (2.8 to 4.4)
and made the following recipe.

2 TBS Habanero Mash (12% salt by weight)
6 Roasted Anaheim chile's
1 C White Rice Vinegar
1 tsp Garlic powder
2 TBS Ancho powder
2 tsp Chipolte powder
1 tsp ground Coriander
1 tsp Curry powder
1 tsp Garam Masala powder
1 tsp teaspoon ground Cumin
1 teaspoon pickling salt

Mixed everything together and slowly heated to a simmer.
After simmering at 180(f) degrees for 5 to 6 minutes, I hot packed/bottled into woozies.
Notes:
(using color coded pH Test strips - 2.8 to 4.4)
1.Hab Paste measured approx. 3.6-pH straight out of bottle.(room temp 80 Deg.f)
2.Mixed ingredients measured approx. 3.8-pH at (75 Deg. f)
3.Measured approx. 3.8 pH after simmering to 100 Deg (f)
4.Measured approx. 3.8 pH when bottling at 180 Deg (f)
5.Measured approx. 3.8 Ph after 48 hours (opened 1 bottle)

Summary:
Had a healthy dose on top of some beans last night for dinner.
Saw the sun come up this morning, so I tried another healthy dose on my "Macs" breakfast burrito.
Gonna have another dose for lunch in about a half hour from now.... I'll let you know how that turns out.

(to be continued....)

Update: 9/30/10

After 5 days of aging in the fridge....the flavors in the Habanero Mash Hot sauce have really started to become more pronounced. Initially, I could not detect the slightest flavor from the Anaheim chile's. But today, the roasted green chile flavor I was after has really started to emerge.
It is really rather tasty with about a #4 heat level. Its amazing how much of the heat was lost during the cooking and bottling process. For my next batch I think I need to double the amount of Habanero mash.

I have to add -

For anyone looking to make a hobo airlock - some guys will use a balloon with a pin hole in it when making wine. Doesn't let oxygen in, lets c02 out - you know you're fermenting when the balloon is filling with c02.

Thanks for the posts!!!

I have to add -

For anyone looking to make a hobo airlock - some guys will use a balloon with a pin hole in it when making wine. Doesn't let oxygen in, lets c02 out - you know you're fermenting when the balloon is filling with c02.

Thanks for the posts!!!
When I was a kid...a neighbor made home brew in his garage, and I remember him putting a balloon on top of a jug when he started a new batch.
He would show it off to us kids as it filled, and then after a few days it would deflate, and he told us it was ready to drink.
Putting a pin hole in the balloon sounds like a good idea if fermenting in a jug.
Thanks for the input!

I mashed 2-1/2 cups(12.5 oz by weight)of chiltepin's from my garden in a mortar/pestle.
I then added 2oz of pickling salt (approx.15%/by weight) and 1/2 TBS of whey.
(decided to mash rather than food process the chile's so I didn't chop up the seeds)

After pouring the salted mash into the fermenting jar, and adding water to the air lock, its been nestled into a dark corner of the spice cupboard.

TuxandGown001.jpg

I'll post the status from time to time....over the next month or so.
[/quote]
EDIT-status update:12/10/10
Not a lot of action to photograph as I count down to Christmas eve.
The Tepin mash has been fermenting/aging,unopened for 75 days now....on top of the fridge, wrapped in a doubled-black sock to shield the mash from sunlight.
There is very little if any discoloration of the mash.
I've checked the temp regularly,and maintained about 70 degrees(+/- 1or2 degrees).
DSCF0490.jpg

There is no visible evidence of any mold growth,which assures me that my processing (sterilization techniques and handling methods)on this batch were performed properly.
Since I used such a small amount of optional starter,there were very few bubbles over the past 2 months, and where there were bubbles at one time,now there is just a void.
DSCF0493.jpg

I'm planning to use the mash to make a bloody mary mix Christmas eve, and raising a toast to Missus Claus before climbing into my sled and making the rounds.
I'll post another update..while recouping from my Christmas Cheer !
Ho...Ho...Ho...
CM

Sorry for the delay DownRiver, thanks for keeping me on task.
Christmas day was the day of truth for my first attempt at a tepin mash.
DSCF0674.jpg

I cracked it open and did a pH test...resulting in approximately 3.9 reading on a test strip.
DSCF0678.jpg

There was absolutely no mold or foul smell..in fact,while there is a slight "fermented" fragrance, it smells almost exactly like the fresh tepins do when I pick them.
DSCF0675.jpg

Since I find these seeds to be somewhat bitter for my taste,I didn't use a food processor so they can be strained out if desired, along with the skins that are still pretty much intact.
DSCF0676.jpg

It has a very nice color and rich almost gravy-like texture. I removed the air-lock lid and put it into the fridge discourage further fermentation. I've used it a couple times in a bloody Mary...and also mixed up some single serving experimental sauces, and have been very pleased all around.
DSCF0680.jpg

It requires zero added salt and I've not yet added any vinegar when making a sauce.
It has that distinct tepin flavor, with a heat level that is pretty toasty for about 2-3 minutes,radiates from the tip to the rear of your tongue and then afterwards, quickly subsides to a nice mellow reminder.
I judge this mash recipe to be a keeper.

Back