• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Habanero & Tabasco Plants

These two plants were basically naked three weeks ago. Some of the leaves fell off and I pulled off some due to damage. I hit them with 15-30-15 fert and they sprouted back up. I also foliar feed them with epsom salt about once a week and also with a diluted 15-30-15 spray. Hope they continue to grow. I've been checking them daily for aphids and I do not see any. I also spray with a mix of dish soap and water about every three days. hopefully that keeps the aphids away.

Jambalaya010.jpg

You won't need the dish soap until you actually start to see aphids. My experience so far is that treating plants with safer's soap, dish soap etc. on a regular basis will more often than not end up with 'rust spots' on your leaves. It seems to happen wherever the solution pools. I'd just stick to the epsom and occasionally give them ferts. They do look good right now.

I will discontinue the soap spray unless I start seeing aphids again. I have noticed some discoloration on my jalapeno plant, but I think it is a combination of past aphids and soap pool.

chilehead70301 said:
I will discontinue the soap spray unless I start seeing aphids again. I have noticed some discoloration on my jalapeno plant, but I think it is a combination of past aphids and soap pool.

It's not antibacterial is it?

I am in the same boat as you I have about 10 plants thats aphids destroyed and all the leaves dropped and they were just stems.
this is what mine looked like shortly after they got aphid raped

congo1.jpg

but now they all have new growth and are doin well, so hang in there the plants will be fine, just discontinue the soap and stay vigilant and annihilate those little bastards if they come back :)

chillilover said:
It's not antibacterial is it?

Hydrogen peroxide is anti-bacterial and is a ready source of oxygen. I've used it to good effect. Mix a 3% with 50/50 water and you're good to go.

Chililover, No anti-bacterial. I use Ivory liquid or Dawn.
Ajarn, what is the purpose of using hydrogen peroxide? is it used as a foliar spray?

Wicked, my plants looked just like that. I had some aphids when I first got the jap and hab plants. I sprayed w/some stuff I got from Lowes and also used the soap spray. it got rid of the problem and the leaves seemed fine. Then one day, the leaves started falling off. The tabasco was the worse and I thought it was dead. So i decided to hit it with some ferts to see if i could bring it back to life. So for so good. Hope all stays that way as I may re-pot them into a bigger pot in a couple of weeks.

chilehead70301 said:
Wicked, my plants looked just like that. I had some aphids when I first got the jap and hab plants. I sprayed w/some stuff I got from Lowes and also used the soap spray. it got rid of the problem and the leaves seemed fine. Then one day, the leaves started falling off. The tabasco was the worse and I thought it was dead. So i decided to hit it with some ferts to see if i could bring it back to life. So for so good. Hope all stays that way as I may re-pot them into a bigger pot in a couple of weeks.

same thing happened to me, leaves all fell off after I sprayed them for aphids, just remember that without alot of big leaves they dont need as much water so watch the watering

I need to get in the habit of not watering as much because the top portion of the soil is dry but directly under the top layer it's moist. I've been watering about once a week as the weather here has been dry. Finally got rain today but the plants were under my patio and didn't get any rain water. I mainly just alternate foliar spray w/epsom and pure water.

chilehead70301 said:
Chililover, No anti-bacterial. I use Ivory liquid or Dawn.
Ajarn, what is the purpose of using hydrogen peroxide? is it used as a foliar spray?

Yes, foliar and it will kill mold, algae, and fungus. One can also water with it; but it will off the healthy soil bacteria like that found in worm casts, so, foliar is best if you're using casts.

Back