• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HabaneroHead - 2013 - New Hope

Hi Everyone!

I started my season quite early this year... I was making the same mistake...again, and managed to cook my seeds. Despite of that there were 2 Naga Morich seeds germinating,this is the reason I am calling them 'The Survivors'. :P
At the end of February I was on a business trip to London, my peppers germinated just before of that. When I returned two weeks later, the seedlings were still very small, no improvement was seen, and the leaves were almost completely purple. I was searching on the forum, and I arrived to two possible reasons:
- Suncald: well, it was snowing, and practically it was winter, I really doubt that
- Lack of Phosphorus: caused by the poor soil. Since mine was fine, it wasobviously caused by the too cool soil, which was preventing the uptake of this element
I was giving them some light, and heat, and in two weeks the issue was resolved. :onfire:
I have the following plants now (30 in total):
- Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (8 plants)
- Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow (6)
- Naga Morich (9)
- Red Habanero (8)

I repotted them this week, and 19 of them is wearing 1.4 liter shoes, and 11 of them has 0.75 liter.

A week ago I was starting some more seeds, received from Rick (Stickman), except the Tobago Seasoning :P :
- Gochu
- Chimayo
- Serrano
- Jalapeno
- Tomatillo
- Tobago Seasoning
- Kurtovska Kapija
- Belcato Kapija

Thanks for watching!
Balázs

stickman said:
Hi Balázs
    Here's another alternative... I've been using swing-top bottles like the ones from this Hungarian manufacturer to put my sauces in... http://www.tarjanglass.hu/index_EN.php?page=2 with proper care, you'd only have to occasionally replace the rubber gaskets if they dry out and split, but those are cheap and readily available. The ones pictured are Grolsch beer bottles from The Netherlands. They come in 4-paks with the beer inside... :beer: just wash and sterilize like you would to put beer inside, but fill them with sauce instead.
SANY0471_zpsc2fa3172.jpg

I got my woozies from a beer and winemaking supply shop. If you have any near you, you could ask them if they can get you woozies. Failing that, I don't know what the shipping costs would be to mail American-made 5 oz woozies to Hungary, but you could send an Email inquiry...
http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item/G330
http://www.specialtybottle.com/woozy5ozroundglassbottlewcap.aspx

Let us know how it works out for you.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the advice, swing-top bottles would be great, indeed. The issue is that I do not drink any alcohol, and if I'd buy beers for my fater...well...my Mom would kill me :P On the other hand, I would like to enter to the sauce business (only in small quantities), for which I'd need uniform bottles. I started to adverdtise my peppers online, and I received a lot of positive feedback. I am going to continue the search, and request a quote from the above companies, and from some Chinese supplier as well. There are 3 elements which are making the cost of the bottles bigger: customs duty (max 10 %), VAT of 27% must be payed on the imported goods, and of course the shipping cost... If I could have the price around 1-1.2 USD per bottle, that would be the best. I hope it is possible, not only in my dreams :rofl:

annie57 said:
That seems odd about the woozies, Balázs. But the swing-tops work, as Rick said.

Also, while you're smoking for sauce, check out smoking and fermenting! Like smoke half and don't smoke the other half as smoking can take sugars out of peppers that help the ferment. Easy to do with whey from yogurt with live and active cultures. If interested in fermentation, PM me. Entire LONG thread on THP about doing it. Do keep everybody posted and PM/message me if interested in creating a mash that mellows flavors of peppers that can then be processed into sauce.

Hope you get kitchen/stove/oven soon!

Be well! Annie

Hi Annie,

Thanks for stopping by, and thank you for offering your help, I really appreciate it! I am really interested in making fermented peppers to deepen the flavours of my future sauce. I saw a lot of good examples on the forum for creating a mash, and once I get there, I will surely ask you about it :P
My kitchen is operating now, and I love it! I purchased and induction stove which is amazing! Much more effective than the 'ordinary' gas stove...I have to get used to its speed :-)
B
alázs

+1 on the induction! I was ready to buy a Vollrath Mirage Pro from friend to put in woman-cave in basement, just to try it and have a little cooking area down there, but friend decided not to sell. They are fast!

Anytime on ferments, hon!

Back