• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting HabaneroHead Final Harvests

Dear Friends,

It's been a while when I posted anything to THP, but it does not mean I was not following the happenings on this forum.
Let me share a short recap and some pics with you.

I was growing red Habaneros at my small flat, and at my parent's house, both in pots and in ground. This was my first season, and my experience is that I started late, since the plants were put to the garden only in June, and suncald damage caused some issues. Totally I had 11 plants, out of which the ones struggling in my flat did not produce a lot (approx 70 pods on 3 plants). But the rest...ahh...I cannot beleive how productive they are, I had so many peppers, I could sell some, and could make my friends sick giving them peppers as present. (more than 500 peppers :dance: )

When the first frosts came in the mid of October, I harvested almost everything, including a cayenne-Thai-like-noname chili along with Cherries, to avoid frost damage
DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

I'vre read the overwintering posts on this forum, so I decided to try them out.
It was easy to deal with those peppers which were in pots, but the ones in the ground were hard to dig out due to our stone-rock soil. At my parents we saved 5 plants out of the 8, and I saved all in my flat (3).

Poor baby
HPIM2289.jpg

After a nice haircut
HPIM2291.jpg

I trimmed the rootball
HPIM2296.jpg

In their new 1 gal pots
HPIM2297.jpg

I mentioned that I started late,so my heart was hurting when I went to the garden, and saw the plants full of with pods waiting their destiny, so I decided to try to dig out as big rootball as I can, and give to this poor plant 1-2 weeks chance to have their pods ripened.
HPIM2308.jpg

In the new pot:
HPIM2310.jpg

The strange thing I experienced: the pods started to ripen, but in the same time, the leaves started to dry out and to fall.
It was interesting to see that the pepper drops the leaves down, but out of the approx 150 pods kept all of them.
IMAG1117.jpg

I picked and dried/pickled the pods, no matter if they were half-ripen, the taste and the heat was there.
Here is a box of dried peppers.

IMAG1121.jpg

The powder I made from these peppers is in the left jar, the rest was made by my father from the above cayenne-Thai-like chili.

IMAG1125.jpg

The protecting equipment during grinding the peppers :crazy: :rofl:

IMAG1124.jpg

I almost forgot to write about where the overwintered peppers are stored.
I am doing experiments with this.
6 of them are kept in the flats (limited amount of sunlight, 17 Celsius degrees), and 2 of them were taken to the cellar, where we keep the potato, apple and vegetables, and used to store the wine barrels (no sunlight, 5-6 Celsius degrees. The reason? I would like to make them dormant, and since this method is working with my Mother's perennial flowers, I thought to give it a try.

Two weeks later I can see the first shoots on the plants which are in the house, but I am not sure what will happen with them, as we do not have much sunlight, and it will be the same till February...

IMAG1133.jpg

Nice work with your harvest to the drying and powdering...

Good luck with your indoor project...can you add some supplemental lighting for the plants ?

Greg

Nice work with your harvest to the drying and powdering...

Good luck with your indoor project...can you add some supplemental lighting for the plants ?

Greg
Thank you! I am not planning any light to be setup, as I would like to keep the costs down. The two plants in the 'cold cellar' does not need any, and the ones in the house/flat...well, it will soon turn out :cool:

There is one thing what I was always reading about in the overwintering topics, and I did not beleive to become an issue for me: aphids.
Then I realized, they exist, and they attached one of my plants!
What is interesting that they are just harming one of them (they are like 50 cm away from each other), and my Mother's ornamentals also stayed clean...
Anyways, I bought some staff at the local garden shop to spray on the plants (kind of poison specially for aphids), and it seems to be working.

Look at this picture, and the little bastards on my precious baby:
HPIM2322.jpg

I treated all of the plants, just to be on the safe side, and 3 of them are just having some sunbath :lol:
HPIM2328.jpg

Nice work, doctor! I can't wait till I can post some wonderful pictures like yours. Please keep us updated on th over wintered plants.

Nice work, doctor! I can't wait till I can post some wonderful pictures like yours. Please keep us updated on th over wintered plants.
Thank you! :) I am sure you can :lol:

Lookin goot... looks like ya will be ready for next year...
Thanks. If I can keep them alive, I will have a nice headstart. If not, I have a Plan B, I can still (and no matter what happens with these plants, I am going to) start them from seed. :rofl:

I thought I would share some pics about my first try to make a Bonchi.
My girlfriend likes them so much, she killed one in the last year, so I decided not to buy another one, but to prepare my own. :beer:
As far I take care of it, it should be alive. :lol:

DSC_0092.jpg

Closeup on the roots, looks good, but I need to get some nicer rocks
DSC_0097.jpg

New life on the main stem
DSC_0090.jpg

I thought I would share some pics about my first try to make a Bonchi.
My girlfriend likes them so much, she killed one in the last year, so I decided not to buy another one, but to prepare my own. :beer:
As far I take care of it, it should be alive. :lol:

Beautiful! Will that produce pods?

I like your approach to try different lighting conditions for the overwinter project. Who knows what will work unless you try? Good luck and keep us posted.... :cool:

I like your approach to try different lighting conditions for the overwinter project. Who knows what will work unless you try? Good luck and keep us posted.... :cool:

Thanks Siliman. This year is about learning how to grow peppers. You can find many methods/strategies on the internet, and on THP as well. But you can learn from your mistakes, and that's what I am doing. :cool:
I have already collected some more types of peppers to check out in the next season, whether I just had the 'beginner's luck', or I am actually good at something. :rofl:

Back