• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HabaneroHead Glog 2012 - Better late than never - Picture Heavy

Hi PepperHeads!

It's been a while since I posted anything about my peppers, but it does not mean I was not following what's going on THP. As usual I did not only get inspiration, but also useful hints and kindness from the team members. And on the top of that, I managed to infect some of my friends, my family and my girlfriend with this addiction. :P

Anyways, ling story short, last december Jack and Ela (aka Superhot and Ela on this forum) was so kind and sent me a batch of seeds (thank you for that, again):
- Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
- Fatalii Red/Yellow
- Tobago Seasoning
- Naga Morich
- Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow

Unfortunately I could not make the Fatalii and Tobago Seasoning germinated, probably I cooked them with my reptile heat mat.

So the varieties I have now:
- Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (6)
- Naga Morich (4)
- Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow (4)
- Bishop's Crown (2)
- Golden Habanero (6)
- Red Habanero (8)
- Aji Lemon Drop (7)

I was not taking into consideration the overwintered red habs, since I am not sure how they will perform, but I was giving them a chance, and they are trying to do their best in the ground.

Let's see some pics now!

6th of March 2012
6thofMar2012024.jpg

6thofMar2012020.jpg

Store bought Golden Habanero, i was taking out the seeds. Out of 10 seeds, 8 germinated, and now I have 6 healthy plants
6thofMar2012013.jpg

6thofMar2012010.jpg

My Bonchi, which I was making to my girlfriend, and it successfully survived the winter:
Bonchi.jpg

1st of April 2012
My babies having sunbath
pictures226.jpg

pictures221.jpg

Bhut doing weird things, I thought the stem may stay in this shape (what a Bonchi!), but in few weeks it straightened.
pictures235.jpg

Superhots are doing well
pictures208.jpg

Aji Lemon Drop: tall, but has strong stem. They were getting the same light, ferts etc, but they are a little bit of leggy.
pictures206.jpg

Hi Balázs
Did you make your pork stew with the gochu powder this weekend? If so, how did you like it? Hope you had a good weekned!

Hi Rick,

Unfortunately I did not... I did not have the chance to cook in the last weeks...house...work... This weekend I was processing the latest harvest of my peppers, and I was saving some seeds. Hopefully this week I will be able to try out your powder. I was taking it home and tasted it with my father, and it is sweet and has a nice kick, for sure!

Balázs

More pics:

Lonely Bhut
bhut_terrace_pod2.jpg

Red Hab Bush
red_hab_bush_pods.jpg

The TS is my favourite, big meaty pods, good appearance, and quite good heat...and it is very productive!
red_hab_bush_pods2.jpg

ts_small_bed.jpg

ts_small_bed_buds.jpg

ts_small_bed_pod.jpg

ts_pod.jpg

My terrace plants are skyscrapers!
terrace.jpg

Thanks for watching,

Balázs

Im so amazed at your production Baláz, your soil looks like it has no nutrition but your yields are awesome.

Hungarian soil eh (wink wink) like the men, a suprise in every package, haaa, LoL

Mezo.

Ya, definitely nice looking plants and pods. I hope the frost holds off long enough for you to harvest most of them! Out of curiousity... how would you compare the flavor and heat of the Naga Morich to the Trinidad Scorpion? I'm starting to get interested in growing a few superhots, but my main aim is still good flavor... and after all, how many of these do you really need to plant?

Im so amazed at your production Baláz, your soil looks like it has no nutrition but your yields are awesome.

Hungarian soil eh (wink wink) like the men, a suprise in every package, haaa, LoL

Mezo.
Lol. Haven't I told you our garden is special? :P

Ya, definitely nice looking plants and pods. I hope the frost holds off long enough for you to harvest most of them! Out of curiousity... how would you compare the flavor and heat of the Naga Morich to the Trinidad Scorpion? I'm starting to get interested in growing a few superhots, but my main aim is still good flavor... and after all, how many of these do you really need to plant?
Well, this Saturday there is 3 Celsius forecasted...almost frost...hopefully it holds off...and I wish you the same.Trinidad Scorpion (at least my type) had a very fruity smell and taste, it was qite similar to the Habanero. To be honest, I did not reall feel the taste of the Naga Morich, since there was no delay in feeling the taste and feeling the burn. It was pure pain and I was not really able to enjoy the taste of it. But my father loves it! :P
If you would like some Scorpion, Naga or Bhut too, just let me know, so I can add it to the package I am going to send to you. If you would not want any, I am going to send some anyways, in case you would change your mind. :rofl:

Hi Baláz
Sure, some of yellow Scorpion seeds would be very welcome, Thank you! Fernando sent me a box of chiles, and there's a yellow scorpion pod in there so I get to try one for taste. Thanks for the input!

I was busy at the weekend...with processing the peppers. Of course I am not complaining. :P
My father harvested 180 + 30 mini Habaneros + approx 10-15 Bhut + 10 Nagas + 20 Scorpions.
I selected some for giving away, and dehydrated the rest.

HPIM2890.jpg

HPIM2893.jpg

Weird scorpion
HPIM2892.jpg

Selected some nice Nagas for seed-saving purposes
HPIM2894.jpg

Hi Everyone!

I have been busy with my personal staff, so I did not posted anything since a while.
I had some really good harvest in the last 1 month and since the first frost is coming, last weekend I dug out 12 of them, making my Mom happy! :P
Thought would be a good idea to share my experiences by varieties:

- Trinidad Scorpion: I will definately grow them last year, robust plants with lots of pods, and they does not seem to be effected by the heat that much as the Bhut. Big, meaty pods, with good aroma and heat.
- Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon: in the first two months they were the strongest, biggest, and the coolest looking plants. Due to the dry weather they seemed to be suffering more than the others, so eventually they did not grow too big (except 1 plant), and the dry weather effected the size of the pods as well. This type of Bhut is smaller than the original, its shape resembles to the Naga Morich, it has very thin wall, therefore hotter than other 'meaty' varieties.
- Naga Morich: my favourite, I had only 3 plants, but had a really good harvest from them. Better than from the Bhuts. Also my father's favourite pepper. :fireball:
- Red Habanero: 3 plants were coming from last year, other 6 was started from seed. Good harvest, despite of the heat, and dry weather, the OW did pretty well. I dug out two of them, so hopefully next year we can celebrate their 3rd birhtday.
- Aji Lemon Drop: 7 plants in total, I am trying to OW 1. Extremely big bush, with lots of flowers, but since the plants were not really, or effectively watered, a lot of fruits were aborted. It was interesting to see that these plants had all their flowers fertile, they aborted only the pods... Small-to-medium sized pods, which can be really big...maybe next season. Once my father scratched 1 into his soup and complained to my Mom about not having the diswasher washed away from the plate...he felt the lemon taste... :P
- Bishop's Crown: beautiful plants, not as big as the Lemon Drop, but had a good amount of pods. 2 (3) plants in total, one is taking part in my OW project. I am not sure if I will grow it next year...its flavour is like the green apple, with not much heat
-Golden Habanero: I had 4 plants in total, not so many pods, worse than the Red Hab, and all of the pods had mold inside...definately will not grow next year
-Unknown type of wild peppers: interesting little creatures, with pods like the size of a tic-tac...good flavour, scent, and cool loking, ornamental bush. I will bring some of them into the flat, and I am not planning to cut them back.

And some pics about my OW project. 'Only' 12 plants will be OW, 20 other will be frozen in the garden.

07th of October 2012

Beautiful TS plant with not so beautiful grower :party:
HPIM2916.jpg

Same plant, loaded with pods and buds, I harvested 30 pods before the cutback.
HPIM2919.jpg

HPIM2924.jpg

Last harvest of superhots, lots of TS and Bhuts:
HPIM2926.jpg

I was overreacting the procedure...I mixed a lot more potting soil than needed...left them for my Mom. I mixed the potting soil with perlite and with a staff called Bactofil, which contains beneficial bacterias for the soil and plants.
HPIM2927.jpg

OW Red Hab before haircut:
HPIM2930.jpg

HPIM2931.jpg

After
HPIM2935.jpg

And the 'hair'
HPIM2934.jpg

Thanks for watching,
Balázs

Hi Baláz, welcome back! I can see you've been a busy lad alright... Very nice looking shots of the chiles in your garden. In a way it's a bit sad that the season is ending, but I'm sure you're ready for a break from it for a while so you can get excited about next year's grow when the time is right. How do you know how much to trim your plants back before potting them up to overwinter?

Wow its over already, the season seems to have gone so quick Baláz?

Nice report of the chilli`s, ive got Naga Morich & Dorset Naga growing this year & looking forward to trying them.

Look forward to next year mate.

Mezo.

Nice haircut!
Thanks! Do you mean mine or the pepper's? :whistle:
Hi Baláz, welcome back! I can see you've been a busy lad alright... Very nice looking shots of the chiles in your garden. In a way it's a bit sad that the season is ending, but I'm sure you're ready for a break from it for a while so you can get excited about next year's grow when the time is right. How do you know how much to trim your plants back before potting them up to overwinter?

Hi Rick,
Yeah, I am looking forward to try out other varieties, and the OW project will keep me busy during the wintertime. Yesterday I got a present from one of my friend who I was giving some traditional Hungarian paprika seeds to. He planted many plants, and have prepared more than 9 kg of paprika powder. He thought would be great to harvest some seeds...so he gave me 'some' seeds in charge of what I gave him at spring... I weights 200 gramms and dry...which is insane...1000 pepper seeds weights 5-7 gramms...it means that I have like 30,000 seeds of the Hungarian colouring Paprika. I think I am going to update my profile with it :shocked: On the other hand you are not forgotten, I am still collecting the seeds I bought later this year (I do not find them yet..... :rolleyes: ) so I can share some traditional Hungarian types with you. (and thank you sending those Korean seeds to me)
As far as I know you have to trim back your plants as much as you can do. Last year I had some aphid problems (even if I did not leave any leaf on them, they were pumping out side-shoots immediately, and the aphids were jumping on them), for which I needed to apply some chemicals, unfortunately. Personally, I leave more stems on them, since once they sprout during the spring, they will eventually become main stems, and the more stems you have the more shoots, leafes and flowers/fruits you have.

Balázs

Wow its over already, the season seems to have gone so quick Baláz?

Nice report of the chilli`s, ive got Naga Morich & Dorset Naga growing this year & looking forward to trying them.

Look forward to next year mate.

Mezo.

Hi Mezo,
It is too quick...We have only 5 months to do the magic, which of course cannot be compared to the guys on this forum, who can grow year round. My TS and Habaneros were just trying to grow a good amount of fruits...but the season is over...this is why I am giving them a second chance with OW. :P
The Naga family is dangerous, be careful with them, because they will really kick your ass! :fireball:
Balázs

Looks like you had a good run this year. Congrats on all the harvests. May it be double next year.

Thanks Brent,

It was a good year, I cannot complain. (I could, though :P ) I wish you the same, looking forward to next year!

Balázs

Hi Balázs
I'm thinking of you tonight as I'm finally making Pörkölt from the recipe you pm'd me. It smells awesome !!

I'm looking forward to growing some of your paprika varieties, and if you'd be so kind as to pass along one of your favorite recipes for stuffed, pickled Alma paprika peppers I'd be grateful...

Wow! Nice looking roots on your OW plants Balázs! Will you have them outside against the south-facing wall this winter, or will you bring them inside?

Wow! Nice looking roots on your OW plants Balázs! Will you have them outside against the south-facing wall this winter, or will you bring them inside?

Thank you, Rick! I hopethey will make it. I am going to put them to the dead-end of the corridor in my parent's house (outside is too cold during the winter), which is east-facing, with a very small window. Last year it worked. Hopefully this year will be the same. They do not require much sunlight. Last year after a couple of weeks new growth appeared on them, even it was like 12 Celsius degrees on the corridor, with almost no sunlight. The only thing which can be an issue is the aphid-problem. For that I needed to apply some chemicals...and they were ok for the rest of the winter.

Cheers,
Balázs

Back