• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HabaneroHead's 2014 Glog - Nuclear Destruction

Hello Everyone!

Thought it would be a great idea to start my glog. :P
I am going to start my seeds this year earlier, which will be the 31st of December.
As the topic title indicates, this year is not going to be childplay, thanks to Rick (stickman) and Conor (Saugapepper) who shared some real kick-ass peppers with me.
I am stil using my T5 lamp with a 59 cm long special grow-bulb (Osram Fluora 18W), but I am in the process to create a bigger grow box, to satisfy the needs of the plants. I know it is not the best setup, but according to my experience it is just enough till we get enough sunlight (from April).
I am planning to sow 5 seeds per each variety, starting with the Chinenses first, using plant trays. ( I have the 7 Pot Burgundy from two source, which means 10 seeds :P )

Here is my list for 2014:

7 Pot Savannah
7 Pot Burgundy
7-pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Douglah Alphanerdz-strain
SBJ7 (scotch bonnet-Jonah-7)
Peach Bhut
White Bhut
Black Naga
Naga Morich
Red Naga
Not Yellow Bhut
Funky Reapers
Jays Peach x TS
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow
TS Brainstrain (red)
TS Brainstrain (yellow)
Brown Moruga Scorpion
Chocolate Habanero
Magnum Orange Habanero
Maya Red Habanero
Red Habanero
Numex Poblano
Holy Mole' Hybrid Pasilla
Serrano Tampiqueno

I hope you will enjoy my glog this year!

Balázs

Devv said:
Wow Balázs!

Great stuff there!

That garden looks like a full time job there, it's huge!

Keep doing what you're doing, they look great!
Thank you, Scott. Indeed, it is a full time job. But we all know how it feels when you don't need to buy vegetables at the grocery, when you have enough potato even in April. And it is beautiful, too. :-)

maximumcapsicum said:
Great looking plants Balázs! Glad your getting some flowering on some chinenses. Going to be picking up steam from now till the rest of the season.
Thank you, Adam. Flowering is one thing, podding is another at Chinenses :-) Now I am getting some pods on my plants, so hopefully within a month I will have ripe ones. Thanks for following my glog!

Runescape said:
Holy crap thats a ton of plants, man... neat.
Indeed...I am thinking about what the heck I am going to do with them. As I understand I cannot process them...since I do not have the necessary permission from the authorities. I can sell them fresh or dried, only...

tsurrie said:
Very big garden ... i have like, a garden the size of your tunnel.... but for all my veggies :)
Nice looking plants. Wish you plenty of pods.

rock on!
Thank you. Having a small garden is not necessarily bad...you learn to prioritize, and with some planning you can grow many stuff. (or with gerilla-gardening, like I do at my house :-)) Thank you for the wishes, I wish you the same!

Dhfreak82 said:
Beautiful plants man. I see a truck load of pods in your future!!
Thank you! I hope you will be right, my friend! :-)

UPDATE TIME:

I have no excuses only reasons for being away for weeks from THP.
One is work, and the other is family...Accordinig to the doc's calculation my son should birth tomorrow...that requires a lot of planning, shopping, worrying... I am nervous like hell :)
For the same reason I was not at parents since a month, so no picture about the tunnel...
I have pics about my small garden, and about the gerilla one.
Recently we were having a lot of rains, and its effect can be seen on some of the plants as well. Their roots were practically sitting in water for days.
Biggest pepper plant I have: Devv's Funky Reaper...that one is a real beast, it is 90 cm (3 feet) high, and almost 70 cm (1.3 feet) wide, and pods are already showing on it. The other success story is the White Bhut, which was stripped completely, and now pumping out the pods like hell. Some pods are Habanero like, some of them Bhut-tish.
I also managed to create my own lawn. It is not perfect, but at least it is mine :-))
Veggie corner with two superhot. Jay's Peach on the left, and Alphanerdz Douglah on the righ.

Cherry tomato...according to wife the stake is way too high...It is only 2.5 - 3 meters tall, and the tomato is already 1.5 meter...after a month, so I am optimistic :-)

I have some continious growing strawberries. (10 plants in total) They are crazy, just growing and growing, last year we had strawberries even in October...

Whitney Houston - 'My lawn is your lawn' :-)))

Tomato-pepper rectangle

Cherry tomato

7 Pot Savannah (left) and TS Moruga

Very sad Red Naga (left) and White Bhut

Funky Reaper (left) 7 Pot Barrackpore

Funky Reaper pods

Will post more pics for bump.

thanks for the bump!

Choc Hab (left) and Black Naga

White Bhut

Gerilla garden

Squash

Beefsteak tomato

First Red Brainstrain - First pod in the center of the pic

OW Yellow Habanero

OW Naga Morich

Hardest cucumbers on Earth...growing in the hardest soil on Earth...

Thanks for watching!

Balázs

Everything is looking good Balázs!

Baby on the way possibly tomorrow, wow! first one? Your life's about to change! But in a good way. Before you know it he'll have his hand out for the keys to your car. Life moves so quickly!

The yard looks great! I have dogs, so no grass. They think since I water it, that they can dig a hole to lie in and keep cool. It's not just one hole, the next day they dig another.

I'm sure that rock hard soil will get better as time passes.

Don't be nervous!

Wow! Big news indeed! We're wishing you and your family well over here. :) You don't need to start worrying until the baby's head drops... after that, the birthing could come at any time.

The rain and sun have done some wonderful things in your yard and garden... lots of green and pods beginning to show... good on ya Balázs!

Devv said:
Everything is looking good Balázs!

Baby on the way possibly tomorrow, wow! first one? Your life's about to change! But in a good way. Before you know it he'll have his hand out for the keys to your car. Life moves so quickly!

The yard looks great! I have dogs, so no grass. They think since I water it, that they can dig a hole to lie in and keep cool. It's not just one hole, the next day they dig another.

I'm sure that rock hard soil will get better as time passes.

Don't be nervous!
Thank you for the kind words, Scott! :-) He is going to be the first child. For sure this is an exciting period of our life. Yeah, I know...dogs are like that...this is the way they are cooling their body down.

stickman said:
Wow! Big news indeed! We're wishing you and your family well over here. :) You don't need to start worrying until the baby's head drops... after that, the birthing could come at any time.

The rain and sun have done some wonderful things in your yard and garden... lots of green and pods beginning to show... good on ya Balázs!
Thank you, Rick! Well, the baby's head cannot be seen on the ultrasound, so he is ready to come out. :-)
It was raining today as well... Rain surely helps...but not in this quantity...

I received some pictures from my brother, who is at home at our parents. They are not the best pic
tures, but I guess you will have some idea how the garden looks like.

Hungarian stuffing pepper (called 'TV Paprika' in Hungary...=Tölteni Való - For stuffing)
These guys were frozen...with black leafes...it is amazing how they recovered

Thanks for watching,

Balázs

Thanks for the update Balázs.

Everything looks great!

No run the the hospital? I'm sitting on my hands, I can only imagine how you feel!

The pics your brother forwarded are looking fine! You should have lots of heat to play with this season... ;)  TV Paprika look wonderful. Mine aren't quite as far along, but I picked my first pod last week.

We're hoping for an easy birth and a healthy child for the two of you. Take care my friend!

Devv said:
Thanks for the update Balázs.

Everything looks great!

No run the the hospital? I'm sitting on my hands, I can only imagine how you feel!
Thank you, Scott! :-)

stickman said:
The pics your brother forwarded are looking fine! You should have lots of heat to play with this season... ;)  TV Paprika look wonderful. Mine aren't quite as far along, but I picked my first pod last week.

We're hoping for an easy birth and a healthy child for the two of you. Take care my friend!
Thank you, Rick! :-)
I have been away from the forum recently, because we have a new family member, called Zétény (not the easiest to pronounce for the non-Hungarians...well, it is hard even for them...ancient Hungarian name, which is getting to be popular. He was born with 4,370 grams and 60 cm, so he is a real big boy. (with huge apetite) 
Thanks lord, he looks like his mother :-))))

Pepper update: it seems I will loose the 7 Pot Barrackpore and Red Naga plants in my small garden...I guess because of the rains...too much water will eventually rot their roots.
Funky Reaper could be called Crazy Reaper, or Leggy Reaper, or Leggy Reaper...it is above 1 meter, it is approx 4 feet tall, and 2.5 wide, and still growing! Lots of peppers are hanging from it, can't wait to try them out. Yesterday evening heavy rains arrived, which continued today...it is raining all day...I'm afraid my peppers won't really like it.

Balázs

Congratulations are in order I see Balázs! :onfire:  Please accept our heartfelt good wishes for you and your family! Compared to that, losing a couple of plants doesn't even register. Are you going to tell Zétény you found him under a pepper leaf? ;)

Hoping things dry out for you soon... your clay soil doesn't like long rainy periods for sure. Drive on!

Devv said:
Now that's a beautiful baby!
Your whole world is about to change Balázs!

Congratulations and give Mom and Zétény a hug!
Thank you, Scott! :-)

stickman said:
Congratulations are in order I see Balázs! :onfire:  Please accept our heartfelt good wishes for you and your family! Compared to that, losing a couple of plants doesn't even register. Are you going to tell Zétény you found him under a pepper leaf? ;)

Hoping things dry out for you soon... your clay soil doesn't like long rainy periods for sure. Drive on!
Thanks, Rick! :-)

Nulle said:
Congratulations to you and your wife with your new little boy :onfire:
Thank you, Linda! :-)
Thanks for the good vibes! :P
Being a father is very exhausting...and having a baby with unlimited apetite, and ability to cry...it is priceless :fireball:
Things are doing pretty well in the garden, though I have lost the Red Naga plant, and the Barracpore looks also sh...ty... I guess it is due to the heavy rains and the fact that their roots probably was sitting in water, what they did not really like.
Interesting part is that the other plants are doing pretty well. The Funky Reaper, Moruga, White Bhut and Savannah are real beasts.

Overall shot
[URL=http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/HabaneroHungary/media/Proba/26th%20of%20July/DSC_0881_zps35c27e0e.jpg.html][/URL]

White Bhut...this plant is loaded

Funky Reaper...this one is a real tree

Moruga Scorpion

Brainstrain Red

OW Red Habanero

Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon

Thanks for watching,

Balázs

I hear ya on the short sleep cycle for your little guy, but the good news is that in a few months' time it should get longer until he'll sleep through the night. In the meantime, I guess it means a few "red-eye" nights... ;)

You're still doing really well for such heavy clay soil... I'm constantly amazed by your grow! Nice to see some color on the Bhut Indian Carbon too. You'll be scorching your butt before you know it... :fireball:

MeatHead1313 said:
Plants are looking great Balázs! And congrats on your healthy baby boy!
Thanks, Chris! :-)

stickman said:
I hear ya on the short sleep cycle for your little guy, but the good news is that in a few months' time it should get longer until he'll sleep through the night. In the meantime, I guess it means a few "red-eye" nights... ;)

You're still doing really well for such heavy clay soil... I'm constantly amazed by your grow! Nice to see some color on the Bhut Indian Carbon too. You'll be scorching your butt before you know it... :fireball:
Thanks, Rick! He can sleep a good 5 hours during the night, which is not that bad.
My soil just sucks...we had heavy rains from April every single week, therefore I have lost 3 plants (Red Naga, Black Naga, Barrackpore), while the others are doing pretty well.

stickman said:
Hi Balázs! Hope all is well with you and your family, and your garden out back. :)

I remember you mentioning pickled cabbage-stuffed Almapaprika, and I wondered if this recipe looks right to you or if you'd tweak it a bit.
http://www.nosalty.hu/recept/kaposztaval-toltott-almapaprika
I've got a couple of liters of straight Almapaprika pickled up and stored in my cellar, but now I'm wanting to try something new.

Cheers!
Hi Rick,
This recipe could work. But the one I shared with you also does the trick. :-)
I don't have plant pics, only a pic about my harvest.
The Maya Red Hab, Aji Lemon Drops, and the Orange Hab is not mine, just a present from my friend who I was giving some seeds to.
Peppers from the bottom to the right:
Funky Reaper, White Bhut, Maya Red Hab,Orange Hab, Red Hab, TS Brainstrain, Alphanerdz Douglah, Red Naga, Aji Lemon Drop, Naga Morich

Thanks for watching,

Balázs

Nice pull Balázs! Those Funky Reapers of Scott's are prolific and tasty aren't they? The White Bhuts are looking very good too. Glad to see you're getting some Douglahs... mine are coloring up, but will need about another week to fully ripen the way the overnight low temperatures have been for the last few weeks. The Hungarians have performed like troupers again this season! The Pointed Hot peppers are starting to go by, but I got a few jars of oily pickles put up before that. I have 2 quarts of Almapaprika pickled up, and am ready now for a third... this one with shredded cabbage. Thanks for the input into the recipe I asked about. The Pritamins are even bigger than the Tomato Peppers I grew last year, and there are at least 6-8 peppers on each plant. Thanks again for sharing the seeds with me... it's been a great education. :)

Best wishes to you and your family.

Devv said:
Very nice Balázs!

Your White Bhuts look just like mine. I think they're a great pepper.
Hi Scott,
Thank you! Indeed, they are good producers, and have very good taste. Though the unique taste appears only in the semi-ripe pods.

stickman said:
Nice pull Balázs! Those Funky Reapers of Scott's are prolific and tasty aren't they? The White Bhuts are looking very good too. Glad to see you're getting some Douglahs... mine are coloring up, but will need about another week to fully ripen the way the overnight low temperatures have been for the last few weeks. The Hungarians have performed like troupers again this season! The Pointed Hot peppers are starting to go by, but I got a few jars of oily pickles put up before that. I have 2 quarts of Almapaprika pickled up, and am ready now for a third... this one with shredded cabbage. Thanks for the input into the recipe I asked about. The Pritamins are even bigger than the Tomato Peppers I grew last year, and there are at least 6-8 peppers on each plant. Thanks again for sharing the seeds with me... it's been a great education. :)

Best wishes to you and your family.
Hi Rick,
The Funky Reapers are really beasts...they look good, they taste good, and they are freaking hot. I ate 1/3rd of a pod with my lunch 2 weeks ago, and I was on fire...even the next morning :-)
I am glad to hear that the Hungarians performed very vell for you, I guess they were just designed to the cold and wet weather you and me were having this summer.

Yesterday I received a care pack from my brother, who brought me some peppers from my parents's garden.
Some of them are pretty disappointing (Red and Black Naga) with small fruits, and some of them like the Moruga Scorpion and the Yellow Brainstrain are monsters...the biggest pod is 23 grams with the size of a medium Almapaprika... :-)
Some of them are just cool, like the SBJ7

Money shot

TS CARDI Yellow, Doughlah and White Bhut in front, Red Naga, Chocholate Bhut and Yellow 7 in the back

Closeup

TS Moruga

Yellow Brain and TS Moruga...they are huuuugeeeeee

Not Yellow Bhut, obviously two plants from the original seedstock received from Rick
Amazing! If I recall correctly Ricks plant produced only red pods last year.

More Not Yellow on the left, and Yellow Bhut on the right

SBJ7 - coolest looking pod

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion

Black Naga - Odd shape

Thanks for watching!

Balázs

Back