• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

habaneros ripening prematurely

As the title states I have a few habs no bigger then a penny on one plant and they are already ripening. I tried one they have good heat and flavour but I would like to try to stop it if possible to allow the rest to grow a bit more first. Any tips?

what are you feeding it? you could maybe need a little more phosphorus and a little less nitrogen. 

by the way, the guy above was recommending you get a different "strain" of habanero that will produce bigger fruit. 

Yeah these are your typical orange habaneros so they don't get huge but I know they should be bigger. I'm feeding miracle grow currently 18:18:21
Nitrogen phosphate and potassium.
I have another one that is 20:30:20
Nitrogen: phosphoric acid: potash(k2o)
Not sure which will be better.

i wouldnt use either one of those, way to much nitrogen in it, at this point you dont want to much nitrogen like 5 or under

Could be a number of things.

Lack of NPK, too much NPK.

Bugs, disease, not the right temps.

But it is not genetics.

Growing chili's is addicting  and challenging. 

Sounds like you have winter pods. Are they "pumpkin" shaped with no seeds? Maybe the new summer crop just hasn't kicked in yet. Is this a second year plant?

Well i've had a good look at all the plants I dont see any bugs. At least not visible ones. As for disease being a rookie I wouldnt know what to look for. Any other fert suggestions? Ive read a bit about epsom Salts and fish emuslion

use tomato fertiliser....   8-12 12 or 10- 15 15 ...  basically you need a lower first number and  the 2 other number higher :D  will be good for fruits and roots.

if you can also take good fert with oligo elements and  some minerals to help calcium and magnesium uptake

I have some scotch bonnets that are the size of gold balls now, they are some plants that I admittedly neglected at one time, they produced peppers the size of a cherry due to lack of constantly watering

Pepperdan funny you should mention that as all my peppers get the same fertilizers etc. And my scotch bonnets are huge. As you said I too have a few golf ball sized ones. And my carolina reapers are quite big to. Its odd. That why I ask cause the other plants seem well but the habs and noticing now too my devils tongue are fairly small..

I had a 7 pod Douglah that I started late from seed in July a few years ago (that was when I got the seeds and couldn't wait :-) ) and i overwintered it. I just kept under my old florescent lights in the basement for a headstart the following year. The plant got pretty big and produced a hundred or so (literally) dime size pods that ripened that size. Next spring i put it back outside and it produced normal size pods again. My problem was the plant wasn't getting enough light for normal pod production.

Is yours getting enough light?

should be good to go then... maybe pick all those little ones off and let it start fresh.  Probably wouldn't hurt anything to try.

Thought about it but our first frost will be mid to late september so id be SOL if I did. I'll just let it be and over winter maybe next year itll do better.

Back