• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Habby Horseradish from Hell

QuadShotz

Banned
I love Horseradish!

I'd bought a horseradish root at the store, and decided to kick it up a notch. ;-D

Started off with this fine recipe: http://elise.com/recipes/archives/005193how_to_prepare_horseradish.php

I used my Cusinart MiniPrep, but you could use a blender as well.
Personally, I wanted it a bit rough-grind as I intend to use it later on/in other things and I can always make it finer then.

I didn't use water though, just white vinegar and some lemon juice. Lemon balances the flavors IMO, and keeps the HR nice and white.

Ingredients:
S6303885.jpg

Peeling the root. (do this quickly or it'll turn brown on ya)
S6303886.jpg

Chopped into about 1/2" cubes and into the Cusinart with a tablespoon of vinegar, 1/2 tsp. of lemon juice, and a dash of sea salt.
(better to add more than start with too much)
S6303887.jpg

Depending on your machine, you'll probably need to pulse it a lot, scrape it down, then repeat until you can get it going full blast. If it's too dry, add a bit more vinegar.

When it's like coleslaw consistancy, add the chopped habs...I used 4 large orange habs stemmed and cut in quarters. Decided to add in a dash of granulated garlic at this time too..but that's just me. :-)

S6303888.jpg

Ok, after a bunch of whirring, scraping, adjusting the salt and more whirring...we have this gorgeous stuff...

S6303891.jpg

Yes, taking a whiff now is risking bodily harm.... ;)

Here it is folks, about 1/2 of a Sambal Olek bottle's worth of pain. :twisted:

S6303892.jpg

Awesome.

indeed. fresh horse is good. now hab horse is even better. put that stuff on some beef roast and your cookin. but i think if you put like a bit of a bhut in there it would of been better since bhuts have the delayed heat. so you get the kick of the horse then once that passes the bhut kicks in.

Nice Quady. i mysef' would have used the grater wheel to coarse shred. i also use cane sugar to balance the acid as well. Back in the day, I peeling and grating 25# sacks of the stuff. Lit me up like a pinball machine on 220v. Could barely see through the tears and tsunami of snot running. Good times!

Salute', TB.

here are few tip for ya as well. I make Horseradish every year. Yours sounds very good.

Dormant roots have the most flavor! If the root has a greenish tint or leaves are sprouting there will be very little flavor. If this is the case, place the root into a plastic bag and refrigerate for 2 weeks before processing. The flavor of horseradish diminishes rapidly with time, that's why it can't be stored very long once processed. After you dice or grate the root, cover it with white vinegar to prevent oxidation of the flavor. Timing is important here ... the longer you wait to add the vinegar, the hotter it will be! For less-hot horseradish add the vinegar 1-2 minutes after processing, for more-hot wait up to 6-8 minutes. You will not taste much of the vinegar.
The whole root can be grated at once and stored in a jar filled with white vinegar but it will not retain full flavor for too long. It is better to grate an inch or two off the bottom of the root as needed. Otherwise prepare as your recipe requires.
Be sure you stay upwind as you grate, the fumes are quite strong! Try to go outside or work near an open window.
Store any unused portion of root in the fridge in a loose plastic bag, or it will turn green and grow leaves.

Dyce,

Seen that recipe someplace else but I need to bookmark it. I freakin love spicy (not necessarily hot) horseradish and use it in so many different dishes. I have three plants growing but am not sure how to harvest roots. The three of them are in perhaps a two-foot space so I'm thinking once they go dormant this fall/winter, I can use a shovel and cut the edges off?

The best sandwich I ever ate at a festival was a deep fried poke tenderloin, ground the night before, then smothered with horseradish.

A side note: the guy who made the pork was an Undertaker. He was at a bar and told people he had a funeral he needed to attend to, plus grind up the meat for the tenderloins! One of those priceless moments! No, it was not Solent Green!

Mike

Good tips everyone!

I didn't use a grater attachment because mine got lost yrs ago and I wasn't about to grate all that by hand. :eek:

Hopefully this'll work as a base that I can use for whatever. Like pureed and mixed with mayo for sandwiches, or what have you. I probably will add some cane sugar to it later for a better tasting sauce, but it's ok for now as a concentrate thingy. :)

I wish I'd known about the waiting-hotter-thing though... :(
I'd read this and that is why I didn't wait:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseradish
When cut or grated, however, enzymes from the damaged plant cells break down sinigrin (a glucosinolate) to produce allyl isothiocyanate (mustard oil), which irritates the sinuses and eyes. Once grated, if not used immediately or mixed in vinegar, the root darkens and loses its pungency and becomes unpleasantly bitter when exposed to air and heat.

I do still have about 3" of root left. It's wrapped up in a plastic bag in the fridge...so I can experiment some more later.

Gotta have an action shot...you can see it lurking from under the top bun.

S6303894.jpg

I made this using liberal amounts of the stuff on both buns (actually baguette) with a spot of mayo. Then, piled on lettuce, tomato, cotto salami, hab jack, pepperoni, pickled peppers, american cheese, S&P and a sprinkle of EVOO to give it that Subway touch... :)

Stuff is kickin' !!

dude now ya makin me drool all over the place!!!

My neighbor and I have a couple of "community plants" that we both harvest from. I dig up the roots and cut a couple of runners off to grate. Enough to do a couple of pint jars. The main root has got to be huge by now (the plants have been there a long time)

Sounds great. I absolutely LOVE horseradish. When I lived in Prague, I used to always eat nakladany hermelin with lots of just plain fresh grated horseradish on top. For those that don't know, nakladany hermelin is a popular appetizer/bar food in the Czech Republic. It's pickled cheese. Hermelin is a Czech cheese most comparable to Camembert(almost identical to it). The horseradish is my thing though, I'd always get a strange look if I was in a place that I wasn't a regular at and ordered nakladany hermelin a křen(křen, pronounced k-shen, is horseradish in Czech).

I highly recommend this dish to anyone. It's typically served with hot cherry peppers too which go great with it, along with bread and some fresh veggies. If anyone is interested I can post a few variations on making the pickled cheese. It's simple and oh so tasty. Now I have a craving for it. I think I'm going to have to prepare a batch tomorrow. It takes 3-6 days or so to be ready depending on how pickled you like it. I prefer it on the longer side myself.

Back