• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Habeneros Soooo Slowwww

This is my first season growing a "super hot" pepper. I've grown several thai chillis, cherrie peppers, cayenne and various hybrids. I happen to really like habeneros, so I thought I would give some of the lemon variety a try.

I got seed from a heirloom seed company I've always been impressed with, and gave them a try. out of a whole packet I had maybe 30% come up(veryyy slowwly) and only one survived, while 7 other assorted hot pepper varieties flourished around it. I planted them in march, and it took a full 4 weeks to grow two sets of leaves. I planted it outside in june and it was 2-3 inches tall. We have had perfect growing conditions the last few weeks, hot and humid, the green house habeneros I have are setting fruit like crazy, the lemon has just now started to grow, 4-5 inches tall and super bushy. Is this normal for this type of pepper? All my other peppers are 1' tall and flowering.

:welcome: to THP and Greetings from the Metrolina - North Carolina !
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] “The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite……[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]" [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :flamethrower:[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :onfire:[/background]

Just picked my first orange hab. Least labeled a hab. Deff not one imo

But yes they seem to take awhile! My jalaps are finally getting cracks and turning red

The growth seems stunted. The three main reasons which come to mind are overly compacted soil, not enough sun, or cold nights. Some might suggest overwatering but in my mind that's related to compacted soil. It seems to be affecting the other peppers as well, for the types you mentioned, 1' tall at 4 months old (assuming the others were set in March also) seems undersized BUT I have no experience growing peppers in your climate.

Here is the page from the site where I got it, I'll try to get pictures today. http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-p-z/peppers/hot/lemon-yellow-habanero.html

The nights do get a little cool, but I've been putting it in a mini greenhouse at night, and for the first few months it was on a south facing all glass sun room. The soil is potting soil/ vegetable compost mix. It has organic vegetable fertilizer spikes, with a bit of bone meal (organic) worked in. Maybe I'm trying to hard to will this plant to grow... Its in a south facing yard with full sun.

Strange too not add a picture of a pod on your site but a drawing... that doesn't look like the Lemon Yellow but as a regular Yellow Habanero. Chinense always grow slower then Annuums.

They were often considered superhots a decade ago, before the internet brought enough people together to share knowledge about what was hotter. IIRC, a Red Savina Hab held the record for world's hottest pepper till around 2007... can't very well be the record holder and not be considered superhot for its time.

Back