• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Habman's going Hydro!

Hey everyone,
I'm glad this thread got started since I've been looking at systems lately. I've been looking at both ebb & flow systems and drip systems. I hadn't considered the DWC method until I read this. I'm strongly leaning towards an ebb & flow solution, something small. Are there any critical components that I shouldn't do without? The amount of products available is pretty extensive so I'm finding it a challenge to sort through them all.
btw, I'm not interested in building one, I prefer a ready made solution, any suggestions?

Cap said:
From my experience, you will always be the rookie. No matter how much we read and learn, there will alway be someone who will come along and smack us upside the head with something we've never even considered. I wish I had the know how to do hydroponics.

RedThumb said:
That's a beautiful plant. How does it taste?

its an ornamental plant, i just grew it for its looks. didn't try the pods, soz cant help you. Any of the other members tried the pods?

Also folks look out for the Hydro-minotaur, a new DWC project that i am working on. Im hoping it will blow away the results of my last DWC (see pics above)

habman said:
Update

Added mylar and another 85 watts CFL (3000K).
Changed to flowering Nutrient solution.
Got PPM and PH meter.
Nutrient solution is at ~1030PPM with ~5.90PH solution Temp is ~72F

hydrosetup2.jpg

Just a thought, but you might be better using a reflector, so that the light is more focused down towards the plant canopy. Since you are paying for the electricity theres no point in wasting it

I agree with Willard that your nutrient level is high. You also said that you are changing to a flowering solution. Chiles don't need to be pumped with a lot of flowering nutrients even in hydroponics so watch you don't overdo it.

I can't look at the title of this thread without thinking of Duffman from Simpsons saying "Duffman's Going Hydro! Hoo, yeah!"

sorry.

That aside, fantastic, interesting content.

What's the effect of having the PPM too high?
am I just wasting money by having the PPM at 1000 or does it have a negative effect? (I'm growing tomatoes and herbs with the same nutrient solution)
Oregano died again... tryed it in dirt also died... bummer.
I'll have to do more research.Maybe too much light.

NagaMad said:
Just a thought, but you might be better using a reflector, so that the light is more focused down towards the plant canopy. Since you are paying for the electricity theres no point in wasting it

Agreed.The original plan was to cover the upper shelf with mylar and screw the CFL on the upper shelf and adjusting the hight as needed.Well that did not work well ajusting the upper shelf with the lights was a big pain in the ...
Plan 2 was to build my own reflector then I remembered how nerdy I was :D
Plan 3 buy pre-built reflectors. They cost 50-75$ each and I need 3 of them plus they're huge.
Plan 4 buy a 400 watts digital ballast..Yeah baby gimme some power!;)

So I chose plan 4. Ordered a 400 watts Galaxy digital ballast. I should get it within 2 weeks. I will get the agrosun self reflector red hps bulb.

P_Schneider said:
Hey everyone,
I'm glad this thread got started since I've been looking at systems lately. I've been looking at both ebb & flow systems and drip systems. I hadn't considered the DWC method until I read this. I'm strongly leaning towards an ebb & flow solution, something small. Are there any critical components that I shouldn't do without? The amount of products available is pretty extensive so I'm finding it a challenge to sort through them all.
btw, I'm not interested in building one, I prefer a ready made solution, any suggestions?

If you want something small and pre-built, the Baby bloomer ebb & flow could be just what you're looking for.
My setup fits on a 18" by 36" shelf.
The system came with everything to get started.
I had to drill an extra hole on the side to purge the nutrient solution into a 5 galon bucket.
You may need to use Willard's method of pepper cloning if you plan to plant more then 4 pepper plants.

So I've been out researching hydro systems and I stumbled upon this unit by Stealth Hydro. It's not a bad deal, I tried pricing the individual components to build my own but cant come close for under $200. The only thing I'm worried about is 4" net pots. Is 4" to small for naga plants?

P_Schneider said:
The only thing I'm worried about is 4" net pots. Is 4" to small for naga plants?

I grow poblanos and other large chiles in 3-1/2" net pots. Hydro doesn't require much root for a very healthy plant....if the roots get too large, prune them back to the net pot.

P_Schneider said:
So I've been out researching hydro systems and I stumbled upon this unit by Stealth Hydro. It's not a bad deal, I tried pricing the individual components to build my own but cant come close for under $200. The only thing I'm worried about is 4" net pots. Is 4" to small for naga plants?

The 4" net is only for stabilizing the plant.
The roots will grow into the reservoir just like DWC.

Start by answering these questions :
1) How much money are you willing to put in for Hydro kit
2) How much space do you have
3) Where will you put the hydro? garage, living room ...
4) How much natural light will the plants get
5) How many plants you plan on growing
6) What size the will the plants get once fully grown

Ah very cool. Thanks guys. My concern wasn't really about the roots but rather if it would be enough support once the pods came in. It sounds like the roots pretty well wrap themselves through the mesh so that should work.

Start by answering these questions :
1) How much money are you willing to put in for Hydro kit
I was looking to spend around $250, so at $209. with the upgraded CFLs I'm still within budget. I could even spring for the extra 6 months nutrients and come out at $238.

2) How much space do you have
Minimal, but what I have is a unique space, plus I rent so I can't get too creative.

3) Where will you put the hydro? garage, living room ...
I'm in an old house that has a small room (6x4) with a six foot window facing south. Plenty of natural light, even in the winter, but it has no heat running to it. Now it is on the second floor and the window provides a good amount of radiant heat when the sun is out.

4) How much natural light will the plants get
See above.

5) How many plants you plan on growing
Just 6 naga's this year. I'll grow the rest of my peppers in the garden like last year but I wanted these separate from those. I don't want to take a chance on cross pollinating these naga's.

6) What size the will the plants get once fully grown
I have no idea with hydroponics, in the ground I would expect about 2.5' - 3' here in MN. That's about how tall most of my other habs grow to.

At any rate, what did you guys think of the concept? It sorta like a cross between a DWC and continuous drip. Should be interesting. It's the only setup I seen that came with lights, test kit, and all the other extras so I think I'm sold on it. Hell they even throw in the power strips, gotta love that.

Ok given this info let me put in my 2 cents.

Given the size of the system, you will not be able to grow 6 Naga to maturity.
2-3 with lots of good pruning should be very doable. You can always clone them to keep them small ( tip given by Willard ).
In the other nets, you can always put some herbs. I just can't live without fresh basil, oregano, mint and cilantro. You can also grow some Tiny Tim or Micro Tom tomatoes they are incredibly small tomato plants.

I had a cheap timer. It's a waste of money.
Go and buy a good digital timer around 30$. You will be able to have 7 programs (mine has 14) and you can specify a short duration for cycle. With the non digital the minimum cycle time is usually 30 minutes.

Personally I prefer liquid nutrients. General Hydroponics is very good. Best thing about GH is that you can experiment and tweak the nutrients (micro,veg,flora).
They have a neat calculator on their web site for tweaking.

http://www.genhydro.com/genhydro_US/floraseries_calculator.html

http://www.genhydro.com/genhydro_US/floraseries.html

For PH I had cheap litmus paper. Completely useless. Some litmus paper are better and more precise but really can't compare to digital PH.
I got Hanna dip stick for 50$. Very happy with it.

http://www.specialty-lights.com/hi98103.html

Since you will be putting it on south window you should get a good amount of light even during winter.
So you only need supplemental lights.
The lights they are selling are just plain CFL you can buy at the store. Walmart sells the "Dual spectrum" which looks like 40 watts CFL 10$ each and the fixtures you can also get at walmart for 5 $ each.
Veg is 6500K and flower is 3000K.
The dual spectrum ll are 85 watts CFLs. That's what I have they work very well but lots of light is loss from the center and the sides .They are less efficient then 54 watts T5 which put out 5000 lumens the 85 watts CFL put out 4200 lumens.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/products.php?cat=85-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents

No doubt the system will work great and yes for the price I think you are getting a good deal.
Personally I would just buy the basic system and buy a cheap digital PH meter, 2X 36" T5 3000K and digital timer.
Then again it's fun to open a box and have everything working right away. Besides you can always upgrade components later.

Back