• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

had a few peppers die at the stem, what causes this?

i had 2 plants that i started this year do this, and it starts about half way up the plant and almost gets chopped in half, kinda on life support if you may.  its all held up by one side and eventually cant support itself.  is there something i'm doing that is causing this? 

Sounds like Damp off. Excess water/ moisture at the surface of the soil/ plant interface can lead to this. Especially small seedlings. Bottom watering helps avoid this.

Edit; Resembles a tree chewed down by a beaver.

i'll try to snap one of my paprika's when i get home from work.   the other  i had tried to save, but the bottom snapped and i didnt feel like trying to root that.  looking at a few images online, it seems like they could be dampening-off 

capsidadburn said:
Sounds like Damp off. Excess water/ moisture at the surface of the soil/ plant interface can lead to this. Especially small seedlings. Bottom watering helps avoid this.

Edit; Resembles a tree chewed down by a beaver.

odd part is most of it was done well above the soil line 

here it is 

347dy6x.jpg

swaybelly said:
Have you noticed gnats in the area?

I wonder if you are getting to the same thing I was thinking at first. I had clones die off on me and I couldn't figure out why for the life of me since I usually get 95% + success. I tore the plug open and I saw it/them!!! Little fungus gnat larva were eating the root shoots as they were coming out, so the stem started to rot just above the plug. Those mother f*ckers! So now I dip all clones in insecticide/water before the cloning gel... Well, I always do my final cuts under water, so I just add a bit of spinosad to the water, grr. Oh well, live 'n' learn.

The only other thing I have seen on a stem half way up and no other damage was from cutworms.

moruga welder said:
+1

it almost looks like a dampening effect . do you have a fan on them on a timer ?  

they're already in the ground outside actually.  

it happend to my hot lemon drops too, but they seemed to recover somehow although abit stunted.  

Back