• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hand pollinating with tools or no?

DatilDaddy

Banned
Why is it said by most to use a brush to hand pollinate. I mean why a brush or Q tip and not fingertips? Is it because of the oil on your fingers that makes a difference, or some other reason?

I think everyone has their personal preference, but they all work. I use a electric toothbrush most of the time, I feel like it is faster, but I also just use my finger when I am too lazy to walk back to get the toothbrush.

Not a serious consideration, but just to put the thought in your brain...

Would you hand-inseminate livestock? Because that's what you're doing to your plants.

The post may have been worded incorrectly. I understand hand pollination and letting them do their thing.

The question I had was why is a brush or Q tip superior to a finger, or why is a brush the preferred method. Maybe it is a dumb question to begin with.

I am going to be hand pollinating my eggplant as well if it needs it, because they are known to have some issues unless you intervene and help the process. Seeing as how I only have two plants, I want to encourage fruit set as much as possible.

I have used a q-tip and my fingers. Its easier with a q-tip because you can put them in a zip lock and store them for different peppers. If there are few flowers I use my fingers, and I have snausages for fingers, with good success

Why is it said by most to use a brush to hand pollinate. I mean why a brush or Q tip and not fingertips? Is it because of the oil on your fingers that makes a difference, or some other reason?

You can use your finger too. Its all really a matter of personal preference. Some people like to use their finger and others prefer a paint brush or tooth brush, q-tip. But to me they all do the same thing.

+1
With my pumpkins I just pluck off a whole male flower and manually pollinate. Whatever is easiest usually works best

Back