• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hand Pollination

I've never heard of using a wet brush before. what if the pollen all sticks to the brush due to the moisture? you would then be wiping all the pollen away. last season I used my finger on a few blossoms, I don't know if it made any difference. there's no need to be overly concerned as peppers are self pollinators having both stamen and pistil (male and female reproductive bits) so they don't necessarily need assistance to set fruit.

having said all that, one of the main reasons for blossom drop is lack of pollination which may indicate that this variety did/does not produce much pollen which may be caused by high day or night time temperatures.

I think the choice is purely personal. depending on the number of plants you have, you could try manual (digital?) pollination on some plants and see how that goes versus doing nothing at all to the others. if you just use one method and feel disappointed about the number of pods produced you'll have to wait another season to test the other method/s.

I too had questioned the "Wet Brush" for the same reason. I would definatly use a dry brush. Seeing as I only have the two plants in my pics I don't think it would hurt for me to try hand pollinating them. I really would be disappointed if I had to wait a whole season to get my Bhut's.

After your observation of the different peppers I wanted to see the difference for myself. Not that I am doubting your knowledge, but just to check it out. Well, here is what I came across.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Naga Jolokia (also known as Bhut Jolokia, Ghost Chili, Ghost Pepper, Naga Morich) is a chili pepper that grows primarily in Bangladesh, but also in northeastern India (Assam, Nagaland, Manipur), and Sri Lanka. In 2006, it was confirmed by Guinness World Records to be the hottest chili in the world, replacing the Red Savina.

It is called Naga Morich in Bangladesh, Nai Miris in Sri Lanka (Nai = 'Cobra', Miris = 'Chili'; in Sinhalese) and Bih Jolokia in the Indian state of Assam (Bih = 'poison', Jolokia = 'chili pepper'; in Assamese). Other names are Bhut Jolokia (Bhut = 'ghost', probably due to its ghostly bite or introduction by the Bhutias from Bhutan poison chili), Oo-Morok in Manipur (Oo = 'Tree', 'Oo' pronounced as in Book, Morok = 'Chilli'), Borbih Jolokia, Nagahari, Nagajolokia, Naga Moresh and Raja Mirchi ('King of Chillies').

But.... thats not saying anything because Wikipedia has a reputation for being wrong with their info.

naga jolokia and naga morich are not the same - you will see that the pods are different when your plants fruit. bhut/bih jolokia, naga morich and dorset naga are virtually identical while naga jolokia are long thin pods a bit like cayennes.

don't take my word for it, check out what chileman.org says:

http://www.thechileman.org/results....ny&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1&submit=Search

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=naga&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

one thing that chilli/chili/chile people agree to disagree on is nomenclature. there are disputes over whether the Dorset Naga is actually a real variant or whether it is a bih/bhut jolokia or naga morich that was simply grown in Dorset UK and rebranded. search the net you'll see what I mean.

I see the difference between the Naga Jolokia & the Bhut.

Thank you for your info.

Whats with all the misleading info out there on these peppers ?

Does anyone truly know which is the hottest pepper in the world ?

How can we if the peppers classification can't be kept in order ?

you've hit the nail on the head. that is exactly the problem. each time peppers cross pollinate you have a new type/variety, and peppers are prolific cross pollinators. naming is an issue and always has been.

peppers were named by Christopher Columbus because he thought they were related to the peppercorn plant due to their spiciness. in 1776 a Dutchman named Nicolas von Jacquin named the chinense variety stating that "I have taken the plant's name from its homeland" - thinking they were from China, which they were not - the peppers he was referring to were found in the West Indies. furthermore, the name habanero means "from Havana" which is also likely to be incorrect - the habanero is the only pepper in Yucatan without a Mayan name which could indicate that it did not originate there.

CraigMack137 said:
I see the difference between the Naga Jolokia & the Bhut.

Thank you for your info.

Whats with all the misleading info out there on these peppers ?

Does anyone truly know which is the hottest pepper in the world ?

How can we if the peppers classification can't be kept in order ?

Dorset Naga/Naga Morich.....Bhutt/Bih Jolokia..Those are the real Variety's with the names most people are accustomed,Ghost chili
ETC are an example of regional naming in North east India/Bangladesh/Burma..as for scoville scale you will soon be able to test your own pods for Heat values as a University in the uk has developed a heat reader that gives very accurate measurements on the Scoville scale,The device will be on sale in spring/summer 09 as for the hottest chili in the world..The jury is out but interestingly in the Naga/Jolokia family the group of peppers is giving very similar results and just one Strain of Bhutt Jolokia seems to Pushing its wait above the others,Some more accurate tables will be avlaiable soon as a few University's are linking up for a more scientific group of results with same strains,plants,seeds etc :shocked:

The Naga Jolokia term is very confusing and usually means the pc-1 type annuum (or frutescens) but its also a term encompassing all the naga and bhut chinense types, especially a few years ago when these peppers were basically only myths.
The dorset nagas were selectively bred Naga Morichs that were selected for their shape and size
http://www.dorsetnaga.com/ (click on developing the dorset)

I would also suggest getting chile information in places other than Wikipedia.

Wiki is unvetted except by web denizens..............

chilliman64 said:
bhut/bih jolokia, naga morich and dorset naga are virtually identical while naga jolokia are long thin pods a bit like cayennes.
I can't say for sure because my Bhut Jolokia and Naga Morich seeds came from a forum member and they may or may not have been pure. But the Bhuts were much larger than the Nagas, by at least half.

Mike

Craig,try using q-tips for hand polinating,a brush would cross them.Also the depot has a spray to help with bud set in constantly humid areas.

Back