• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Hard water where you live....

My house has water about 280 ppm. I was at my dad's house in Anaheim, California and his is 510 ppm.

What is everyone else's water look like? Please post.

Thanks.

Mine is super hard and according to reports and random tests, only a clarity issue has happened in over 40 years.  I am pretty much ok with that since it come from limestone...

900 ppm here in rural Phoenix, AZ.

My new plant RO takes it down to 100 ppm.

Every 2-3 months i have to empty my shower head filter as it fills up with sand  :shocked:

The link doesn't tell me my ppm. The website for my utility says about 300 ppm. It's not great for my plants but not much to be done about it. I'm not buying a $200 filter for peppers.

Dreamweaver said:
900 ppm here in rural Phoenix, AZ.

My new plant RO takes it down to 100 ppm.

Every 2-3 months i have to empty my shower head filter as it fills up with sand  :shocked:
Sounds like well water. That is super hard water.
SichuaneseFoodFan said:
The link doesn't tell me my ppm. The website for my utility says about 300 ppm. It's not great for my plants but not much to be done about it. I'm not buying a $200 filter for peppers.
I only justified the cost by hooking it up to the fridge for drinking water. Where I live the city uses a lot of well water. To me is doesn't taste very well. I drink a lot more now because it taste better. Saves the fridge filter too.

SAND? like actual sand? or do you mean scale?

sand is bad,do you have a well in your home?

sand usually settles out in the larger lateral pipes that serivce your home, its unusual for a end user of a water supply system to see any significant amounts of sand. 

its almost always from poor softening systems and or water heaters etc. if you really are getting city water with sand in it you should contact someone.

Yup...sand...it's been like that for years.

I just emptied it but i'll take a pic in a couple of months.

I think it might be a local community well...they also run the system a low pressure to stop the pipes bursting but we still get bursts a couple times a year around me.

damn that sucks man. the well must be failing, and or very very old. \

your average say... 100gpm well will have like 50+ feet of screen material inside the well bore  designed to keep out sand and fine silt. 
most water bearing geology here in texas is sand.

lol if your water supply is bursting too?... must be very old ductile iron piping. they should have taken better care of the infrastructure!.
DI pipes can be made to last a very long time by injecting at the wellhead.  that sucks tho.
If you are on a MUD, you could easily get slammed with huge ass fees, if they end up choosing to extensively renovate the supply system.

you might want to look at a whole house silt filter. these are very large, like 4" across in some cases, and like 12" deep.
these are so big, because they are supposed to be as low pressure drop as possible such that showers etc do not suffer. most can be unscrewed for acid treatment and washing.  This would save your water faucet aspirators... shower heads... toilet pressure regulators  etc.

regardless, sounds way annoying.

To the OP's origional question. Here in texas we have limestone geology, and hence have very hard water. 
like 200-300ppm combined carbonates.
My water LAUGHS at the bottled GH nitric/phosphoric acid. its waaaaaaay too weak. it takes like 70ml to drop the PH of a 30g tank of my tap water + ferts. 

Here in Titusville it was last tested for in 2012 and came out at 92 mg/L so not too bad.

Seems like I read something somewhere that if your water is too soft that it can cause your water to leach copper from your pipes if you have copper pipes in your house.

if its super pure water yea. but most copper alloys will resist this under most circumstances with an oxide layer. black iron pipes are another story entirely.

What is SUPER bad for copper is galvanic corrosion reactions, from poor plumbing techniques. A galvanic reaction between say... iron and copper pipes with conductive water can destroy thousands of dollars worth of copper in like... 5 -10 years in some cases.

Back