• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hardening Off...Jumping the Gun

I'm thinking of moving the chinenses outdoors this weekend to begin hardening off even though plant-out won't be until mid-to late May. I'm looking at sunny days ahead...some cloudy...and it seems a waste to keep them under these T8s with the sun at my disposal now.

Here's what I'm thinking. I'll put them under a sheet of plywood supported by cinder blocks. I'll remove it during the day, and cover them at night. I'll also lay a large tarp over everything at night. My only question is how to heat the plants at night should temps drop into the high 30s, which is likely. What would be a cheap, simple, and effective way to protect them from sub-40 degree temps at night?

I always try to put plants out too early and regret it. I would just wait until there is no worry of cold nights. Actual sunlight is great but cold temps slow down plant growth. I would think the combination of T8s and warm inside temperature at night would be better for your plants than sunlight during the day, followed by cold nighttime temperatures. I'd say wait a couple weeks if you can.

it would be to not attempt that.

i tried this last year and regretted it... i forgot about all the creepy crawlies too; slugs, snails, and squirrels will attack the crap out of them. i learned the hard way that it's better to get a few hours of sunlight during the day, move them back in before dinner and let them keep chugging along under the lights for a few more hours. it helps with the electric bill and won't accidentally set your babies back several weeks. i lost out on the whole third major, and largest harvest last year because of it.

absolutely! they go around my yard and nibble the new shoots, plus they dig up plants to bury something else since the soil is nice and loose. deer are another problem; i've had them eat 2-3' plants right to the ground. they love pepper plants and tomatoes.

absolutely! they go around my yard and nibble the new shoots, plus they dig up plants to bury something else since the soil is nice and loose. deer are another problem; i've had them eat 2-3' plants right to the ground. they love pepper plants and tomatoes.

Hahaha ! We don't have squirrels here (red squirrel almost disappear unfortunately), but we have snails that also eat peppers. I don't care, I'll eat them after ... You should do the same : eat the squirrels ! :P

I will take peppers out for a few hours during the day for some sunlight, but then bring them back in at night. I usually try to wait until at least the second week of May before putting any outside permanently. At least in this climate. We are having some 80 degree days, but night-time temps are dipping into the 30s. --Just looked at the weather... looks like highs of 50-60 over the next few days, with lows around freezing. My little ones are staying in for a while. ;)

I had mine outside for a few hrs yesterday, brought them in over night as they were calling for T- storms. Was down into the 50's, Put them back outside this morning as temps are in the 70's. Plan on leaving them out for the next 2 nights and days as temps are supposed to be a bit warmer at night, mid to upper 50's.
I have mine sitting on a table on the deck so dont have to worry about anything messing with them.

I always try to put plants out too early and regret it. I would just wait until there is no worry of cold nights. Actual sunlight is great but cold temps slow down plant growth. I would think the combination of T8s and warm inside temperature at night would be better for your plants than sunlight during the day, followed by cold nighttime temperatures. I'd say wait a couple weeks if you can.

how about getting them out in the day and put them in at night? I just put my tiny plants out today and lit a cigarette then cold wind blows about 6 deg C and I changed my mind right away and put them back in! haha!

Back