• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Harry's 2012/2013

With Spring officially arriving I have kicked off the season a couple of seeds from a Red Rocoto pod that found its way to me. The seeds are currently soaking in distilled water after being dipped in H2O2 solution for a few minutes.

Many of the plants from previous season remain. The vast majority of the mature non C. Pubescens plants have not regrown thus far. As of Friday I have one Not Locato (plant #2) in bloom with the other (plant #1) developing buds. Today marks the first day an orange Rocoto plant in the garden has re-entered bloom.

2012/2013 Season - Sprouted
Capsicum Baccatum:
  • Aji Omnicolor
  • Blondie
Capsicum Chinense:
  • 7pot Yellow
  • Biquinho
  • Carmine
  • Limón
Capsicum Pubescens:
  • Canario
  • Rocoto Aji Largo
  • Rocoto, Red
  • Sukanya/White flowering
Active Over Wintered Plants
Capsicum Annuum:
  • Ebony Fire
  • Goat's Weed
  • Jamaican Yellow
  • Not Fluorescent Purple
Capsicum Baccatum:
  • Aji Amarillo
  • Aji Cristal
  • Aji Omnicolor
  • Brazilian Starfish
  • Inca Red Drop
Capsicum Chinense:
  • Bahamian Goat Pepper
  • Beni Highlands
  • Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
  • Biquinho
  • Caribbean Red
  • Habanero Chocolate
  • Habanero Orange
  • Jamaican Hot Chocolate
  • Moruga Red
  • Not Habanero Peach
  • Not Seven Pot Not Red
  • Scotch Bonnet TFM (#1; Clone of #1; #2; #3; #4; #5)
  • Trinidad Scorpion (#1 - Rescued; #2)
  • Trinidad Seven Pot
Capsicum Pubescens:
  • Manzana, Orange
  • Not Locato (#1)
  • Not Locato (#2)
  • Not Locato (#2 Gen. 2 ) x 4
  • Rocoto, Orange (#1 - Big Pot; #2 - Pot; #3 - Pot; #5 - Ground; #6 - Ground)
I will update the list here as I go.

Updated 13 Nov 2012: Bonda Ma Jacques, Fatalii and Hot Lemon since been written off. Three Biquinho sprouts from 25 Nov to 27 Nov. Aji Omnicolor volunteer transplanted to failed pot. Over wintered Ebony Fire plant omission rectified.
Updated 11 Nov 2012: Rocoto Aji Largo hook sighted.
Updated 03 Oct 2012: 1st Canario sprout emerged as a hook last Saturday (Oct 27). 2nd Carmine sprout emerged on Wednesday (Oct 31) making it 2/2. 1st Sukayna sprout emerged on Thursday (Nov 01). Additions to the overwintered plants on the active list include Bhut Jolokia Chocolate, Datil, Goat's Weed, Habanero Chocolate, Jamaican Yellow, Not Habanero Peach, Not Naga Morich (maybe Bih) and Not Seven Pot.
Updated 20 Oct 2012: 7pot Yellow sprout sighted two days ago is fully upright.
Updated 15 Oct 2012: Fourth Red Rocoto hook visible a days ago is upright. Sowed 1 Fatalii and 1 Sukankya/White Flowring C. Pubescens seed. Jamaican Hot Chocolate now on the active overwintered plant list.
Updated 11 Oct 2012: Third Red Rocoto hook visible two days ago is upright. 6 Limón sprouts came up this past week; 7th decapitated. Sowed 1 Blondie, 2 Carmine and 1 Rocoto Aji Largo seed today. Trinidad Seven Pot plant now on the active list.
Updated 22 Sep 2012: First Red Rocoto sprouted today. Not Fluorescent Purple plant #2, Moruga Red plant and SB TFM plant #2 now on the active overwintered plants list.
Updated 21 Sep 2012: Aji Cristal plants now on the active overwintered plant list. Started more Red Rocoto seeds.
Updated 20 Sep 2012: Sowed 7 Limón seeds straight from a pod of a defunct plant. BGP and Beni Highlands now on the active overwintered plant list.
Updated 14 Sep 2012: Biquinho, Caribbean Red, Inca Red Drop and SB TFM plant #4 now on the active overwintered plants list.
Updated 10 Sep 2012: Sowed one Canario seed and one Sukanya/White Flowering C. Pubescens seed. Some of the over wintered C. Baccatum varieties have fresh growth.
Updated 03 Sep 2012: More Rocoto plants are active than I had first listed; Bonda Ma Jacques marks the first new C. Chinense.

Harry, nice pods :)

Thanks, some more pods to gawk at below.

vW4Gs.jpg

Jamaican Hot Chocolate - Ripening Pod

22ewV.jpg

Moruga Red - Ripening Pod

The first Moruga Red pod of the season appears to have the edge on the Jamaican Hot Chocolate pod in the race to be the next over wintered variety to produce ripe pods.

I have my eye on the Goat's Weed pods that remain unripe.

mLPk2.jpg

Goat's Weed - Unripe Pods

Edit: fixed links.

Nice little compact Goats Weed, harry! :cool: How the heck did you get it to stay squat like that?? Is it a clone or something? Mine just wants to grow up, up, up.

Nice little compact Goats Weed, harry! :cool: How the heck did you get it to stay squat like that?? Is it a clone or something? Mine just wants to grow up, up, up.
Good point Jonny, I love the look of it too, man so many varieties and so little time ... only wish I could grow dem all, heh.

Harry keep up the great work, I enjoy seeing and reading :)

I started that Goat's Weed plant as a cutting last season. A cut worm lopped it off one of the two plants I had grown from seed. The two I had from seed last season grew upright and tall.

Yeah my goats weed got good and lanky last season ... not growing it this time around due to space constraints ...but it was a great plant. Your plants are looking great harry!! Nice work

Don't want to wee on your pitch but that pod looks like it has some bug damage? Hope you're not getting fruit fly problems like the tropical Queenslanders?

Don't want to wee on your pitch but that pod looks like it has some bug damage? Hope you're not getting fruit fly problems like the tropical Queenslanders?

The brown patch is the remains of part of the corolla with a couple of dried anthers stuck to it.

How is your Jamaican Hot Chocolate going? Is it a heavy producer?

I ask because my plant is podding up like crazy and still putting out more flowers every day. If they all set I'll probably have to tie up the branches.

How is your Jamaican Hot Chocolate going? Is it a heavy producer?

I ask because my plant is podding up like crazy and still putting out more flowers every day. If they all set I'll probably have to tie up the branches.

My JHC plant has a good number of pods on it. The first flush of pods is ripe. The yield isn't heavy enough to require support (local conditions lowered flower to fruit set). This variety and the Chocolate Habanero are among the sturdier.

In contrast I will have to do something about the Aji Cristal soon as the branches are bending under the load of the pods.

The Jamaican Chocolate Hot is a fine tasting pepper, it looks like your plant is flowering up for another wave of pods...

Greg

damn I got confused... must be the heat. I have a jamaican hot chocolate growing but its still a seedling. The plant that is podding up is a congo brown.

I like the look of the JHC pod in the picture though.

Pods on the Goat's Weed plant began to ripen not long after the time of the last photo:
l04O7.jpg

Goat's Weed - Top View

Aji Omnicolor plant is the most compact and busy C. Baccatum variety here:
9pXdG.jpg

Aji Omnicolor - Side View of Plant

I've since sampled one of the pale yellow pods and found it had a certain tang to it.

The first two Not Locato plant #1 pods were harvested around a week ago.
lIPQZ.jpg

Not Locato plant #1 - First Two Bottle Necked Pods Harvested

I've harvested over 50 pods from the other non-bottlenecked plant.

The Jamaican Chocolate Hot is a fine tasting pepper, it looks like your plant is flowering up for another wave of pods...

Greg

The first Jamaican Hot Chocolate pod was another victim in a long line of caterpillar attacks. I ate a different pod with dinner yesterday to find the plant has responded well to the regular grade mix I used. I need to give it some more fertiliser before I can get another flush of pods.

The Moruga Red runts produced on a plant I had yet to transplant to a larger container were bitter.

damn I got confused... must be the heat. I have a jamaican hot chocolate growing but its still a seedling. The plant that is podding up is a congo brown.

I like the look of the JHC pod in the picture though.

The pods of this variety have a ribbed appears. The first pod is somewhat undersized and not as elongated as you would expect of the variety.

Aji Omnicolor looks like a mini-beast of a plant! I'll have to seriously consider trying to grow it again at some stage. I got bad seeds the first time I tried to grow it and never got one to germinate.

And speaking of tangy Baccatums, after having the chance to munch some more Blondie pods, I am actually detecting a bit of a tang there now. Not bad at all! I may have opened my mouth too soon after the initial few tastes.... :oops:

How is your Blondie coming along?

Aji Omnicolor looks like a mini-beast of a plant! I'll have to seriously consider trying to grow it again at some stage. I got bad seeds the first time I tried to grow it and never got one to germinate.

The leaves were very yellow before I transplanted it into reused Debco Seed Raising Mix with Manutec Trace Element Granules mixed in. I pruned it back to some good shoots around the time of transplant.

And speaking of tangy Baccatums, after having the chance to munch some more Blondie pods, I am actually detecting a bit of a tang there now. Not bad at all! I may have opened my mouth too soon after the initial few tastes.... :oops:

How is your Blondie coming along?

The young Blondie is about 10 cm tall with 8 fully grown leaves two months from sprouting. It's currently going through a night wilt after a hot day.

The largest Aji Cristal is appreciably larger than the Jamaican Hot Chocolate plant below: Jamaican Hot Chocolate plant in 25 cm diameter pot
But probably not as smexy :D I love da look on your JHC, what a beauty!!! One of these days I want to try growing one ...

I found some little monsters on a plant last Saturday:
Brown lacewing larva eating aphid
Excellent macro my friend!!! ... upon first look I missed that little bugger lower center right ... so where's the muching shot :D

Back