• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Harvest Seeds from a Hot Sauce?

Hey All,

Does anyone know if can harvest seeds from a hot sauce? When we travel, it looks like U.S. customs doesn't allow seeds back into the states, so I was wondering if you could get local hot sauces and pull the seeds from there to grow.

Thanks

Dang it!. Too bad you can't just go to the local grocery store, in another country, pull the seeds and bring them back. However, I wonder if there is really any reason to do so. Would seeds from a pepper grown in another country grow the same at home? My guess is that it depends on a lot of variables at home.

I have heard of people getting a shaker of chili powder and putting the seeds they want to bring home in there. Then when you get home just sift them out.

I have heard of people getting a shaker of chili powder and putting the seeds they want to bring home in there. Then when you get home just sift them out.

OH. That makes total sense. They let you bring spices back and forth.

Sweet. Thanks for that great tip. :)

I carried my pepper powders to Nicaragua and back without issue. Tons of seeds but maybe I was just lucky. I was just there a few months ago and always carry my own stuff to spice up any average meal.

Do you all think it makes a difference where seeds are harvested from? I would guess that the plant itself makes the difference, not location.

So, it might not even make sense to get seeds from various locations, right?

i've had seeds mailed to me from friends and vendors (cpp, hippyseed) from different countries without issues. I think neil had a agri thing though... i dont remember.

So mail half of your seeds back to a friend and bring the rest back in your pocket. ;) That's how i brought a large block of jamon iberico thru customs :shh:

Back