• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Has anyone eaten a Ghost pepper (or equivilant) at once?

I will cut up superhots and eat them on triskets with cream cheese.  Worst one I ever ate was a cross...... a Reaper x Moruga, it gave me stomach cramps for an entire day and part of next.  That pepper was a total gut bomb, wont be eating one of those fresh ever again!  lol

Generally I will consume a Habanero or hotter type pepper with dinner, just eating one raw for a video doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.  I understand they do it for the commercial value of making a pepper review. 

cheers

I ate a ghost pepper as my personal initiation into the pepper world about 8 years ago. It was brutal hot. Grew it myself. My toes curled and I chugged about a gallon of milk. I did end up puking but the rush was worth it. Would I do it again? No. But i still love the burn of peppers :)

Nigel said:
I may have eaten one or two, LMAO!!! The dumb thing is I don`t regard Ghosts as especially hot anymore  :rolleyes:

Of the many you had Nigel, which one impressed you the most? For flavour, not heat

Thanks, Roberto

the mouth heat isn't so bad, but the stomach pain is unbearable for me because I have a history of ulcers. 

Guitarman said:

Of the many you had Nigel, which one impressed you the most? For flavour, not heat

Thanks, Roberto

Hi Roberto. My favourite superhot for flavour is the Red 7-pot Jonah, followed closely by the Caramel Bhut. For out and out flavour alone I like Cumari do Para best, although the orange CGN 20800 is just as good, but much smaller (both available via Judy at Pepperlover). Cheiro roxa, Fidalgo roxa and CGN 21500 are also excellent. 
The MoA Scotch bonnet is another stellar flavour machine and the SB7J is great too (Scotch bonnet x Jonah, so no shock there :) ). From last year I really liked MA Wartryx from Matthew, but they don`t seem very stable or consistent yet. My favourite baccatum is the plain old Aji amarillo and one of the few annuums I like a lot is Vezena Piperka. Hope that covers it.
Oh, and my favourite guitar right now is the Telecaster I built,  :D

ColdSmoke said:
the mouth heat isn't so bad, but the stomach pain is unbearable for me because I have a history of ulcers. 
Obviously, you know your stomach best. I don`t have ulcers, but my stomach produces 10x the acid of a normal person (literally, it was tested). I find eating peppers high in capsaicin reduces that hugely and I don`t need to eat prilosec like candy. For some forms of ulcers and GERD they try to reduce the acid content of the stomach to allow healing, but I`m sure you know more about that than I do. Some of the worst pods for stomach cramps or general stomach unhappiness in my case are Bhuts and Nagas. I love both, but they really do a number on my stomach. I`ve found that cooking the pods, such as dry roasting in a pan, massively reduces the potential for cramps and stomach pain. I also have a friend with Ulcerative Colitis and he gets far fewer symptoms when he is eating cooked superhots regularly. 

Nigel said:

Hi Roberto. My favourite superhot for flavour is the Red 7-pot Jonah, followed closely by the Caramel Bhut. For out and out flavour alone I like Cumari do Para best, although the orange CGN 20800 is just as good, but much smaller (both available via Judy at Pepperlover). Cheiro roxa, Fidalgo roxa and CGN 21500 are also excellent. 
The MoA Scotch bonnet is another stellar flavour machine and the SB7J is great too (Scotch bonnet x Jonah, so no shock there :) ). From last year I really liked MA Wartryx from Matthew, but they don`t seem very stable or consistent yet. My favourite baccatum is the plain old Aji amarillo and one of the few annuums I like a lot is Vezena Piperka. Hope that covers it.

Do you have any proof that you have eaten all these hot peppers  ;)

And there you go again with the guitar stuff  :rofl: We need to hear you play a tune for us one of these days  :dance:

romy6 said:

Do you have any proof that you have eaten all these hot peppers  ;)

And there you go again with the guitar stuff  :rofl: We need to hear you play a tune for us one of these days  :dance:

Damn it, caught out again  :liar:

Hey, you never know, I might learn some songs one day!

Nigel said:

Actually i was meaning only among the Bhuts, but you made it clear at the largest possible spectrum! :D

btw Telecaster rules ;)

Nigel said:

Hey, you never know, I might learn some songs one day!

Perhaps your own Telecaster arrangement of "Cross Eyed Mary" - I've often thought you rather favour Ian Anderson in his youth!

wrinklenuts said:
i've done it. for some reason ghosts and brown morugas jack my stomach up more than any other peppers.
Brown Morugas I grew had a nasty habit of feeling like someone was standing on my chest

Nigel said:

Wait, did I miss a thread on a Tele build? Do share. Always wanted to build a guitar some day.

My (current) favorite is my Ibanez Prestige I just picked up. My strat is getting lonely.

Nigel said:

I feel the same way about the 7 Pot Jonah, what an awesome pepper.  I make a Caribbean style hot sauce using the Jonah and boy is it good!   What I like most about this pepper is shelf life, I pick them when they are red, and they can stay on my shelf for weeks and continue to get an even deeper red and get more flavorful! 

When I make powder out of them I let them sit around for weeks getting extra red and intense and the powder is just so flavorful and aromatic! 

cheers~

Jeff H said:

Wait, did I miss a thread on a Tele build? Do share. Always wanted to build a guitar some day.

My (current) favorite is my Ibanez Prestige I just picked up. My strat is getting lonely.

Not sure if there`s a place on here appropriate for this type of thing. I`ve built a few Teles and a few Strats. My Tele is based on the 1950 Broadcaster down to flat head screws/bakelite pickguard, but better playability with 10" radius fretboard. I`m currently building a Strat based on the early 1954, but in Sonic Blue. Pickups were copied off a real `54. 

I remember a couple years ago trying an orange hab for the first time and it overwhelmed me for about a half an hour and I almost puked. I was miserable and this kind of started my hot sauce quest. My brother was into the different Dave's insanity sauces at the time and I always thought he was nuts. I ended up trying some after having a couple beers and thought it wasn't all that hot. So this started my quest to making my own hot sauce which in turn I discovered THP. :)

Fast forward. Soon after I tried eating a couple of Red Savinas I ordered and didn't have much of a problem eating them. Then I tried a Butch T, a moruga and then a reaper that I grew. The good thing is I never puked and the bad thing is I'm over the macho super hot eating stuff these days. Now I will just cut a small piece off the pepper and try it for the flavor and heat level. I've settled down into enjoying my foods without all the self inflicted torture and torment that goes along with eating those hot devilish peppers. :)

The majority of peppers I'm growing these days are under the 1 million mark on the scoville. I'm liking the overall flavor and heat with the Datil and under range with MOA's, Bahamian Goats, Fatalii, Choc Scotch Bonnetts and choc habs. 

Nigel- One of my favorite peppers now is the Chocolate Fatalii. After watching your review of the 4 different ones you ate the same day I settled on growing this pepper and honestly its my favorite pepper now. I over wintered the 2 I grew last year. 

SavinaRed said:

Nigel- One of my favorite peppers now is the Chocolate Fatalii. After watching your review of the 4 different ones you ate the same day I settled on growing this pepper and honestly its my favorite pepper now. I over wintered the 2 I grew last year. 

That`s fantastic, thanks for posting. I do like those a lot, as well. Have you tried Jim Weaver`s Lightening Habaneros? Calling them Habaneros doesn`t do them justice. They are excellent for flavour and pretty damn warm and come in numerous colours. The chocolate ones are especially good.

Back