• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

fermenting Has anyone fermented Apple's ?

I'm about to try but everyone is saying why would you ferment Apples ? From what I hear they are sweet and a bit tart and full of probiotics that can be added to other dishes , Going to do a few just apple cubes and a few with added jalapeno's

It has got the fermented twang. Asian pears and fuji apples.

20231013_084829.jpg

Never done it but I would just caution to remove the seeds first. The fermentation (alcohol) will extract the cyanide from the seeds.

Never done it but I would just caution to remove the seeds first. The fermentation (alcohol) will extract the cyanide from the seeds.
There is no cyanide in apple seeds - there is a precursor (amygdalin) which your body can metabolize into hydrogen cyanide but the quantities are tiny. You'd need to chew and metabolize something like 2lbs of just seeds to get to a fatal dose.

Additionally, Lactobacillus acidophilus has been shown to degrade amygdalin through the fermentation process making it even less likely for there to be anything close to a quantity that would impact a human. Indeed, fermentation of cassava is a typical method for removing the toxic cyanogenic glycosides that are present when raw.

Back