• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

have a good way to rid of squash bugs

They are a fast-reproducing pain in the ass.

If you don't want to introduce a bunch of beneficials, which is expensive and takes time to work this is what I'd do:

- Hit the plants with a pyrethrin/safer's (type) soap combo at sundown. You can use a castille soap like Dr. Bronners - 1 Tbsp/gal
- Follow up with Neem after two days.

Pyrethrin is from Crysthanimums and breaks down in a couple hours in direct sunlight. Don't use one with a synergist, which can be harmful over the long term to beneficial insects. The pyrethrin will knock them down hard, the neem will screw up their reproduction and make the bugs "forget" to eat. After a week or two it should all be under control

Good luck, insect pests are annoying.

I may just use this, since I have some grubs & flies remaining after my application of insecticide... Hardy little buggers

Try food safe Insecticidal soap??? I know it worked on my mite infestation on some other plants that neem didnt stop..

Also, boil up some hot peppers and spray that? The capsaicin messes up inverts nervous systems.

Yup definitely safe for use with fruit on the plant.

Pyrethrin is not systemic and breaks down very fast. Neem is technically mildly systemic, but some people take neem internally. I swear by the stuff and it has OMRI certification.

http://www.ayurvediccure.com/neem.htm

Thanks! Is all that safe with squash fruit on the plant already?

i've been using 1/10 dawn to kill them. I dont even know how many I killed in the last three days.

i hope yours isn't like mine, I just sprayed into a mass of vines and a horde crawled out. I was actually quite disgusted at how many there were hidden in that crevice. Like a baad horror movie scene.. at least it wasn't those shiny black roaches. There were quite a few stink bugs mixed in there too.

On the bright side, I saw that i had some allies... two paper wasps helping the cause by chewing off the heads of two squash bugs.

If you flood the area with a hose first the nasty alien bugs will surface and then you can get em!

On a related siubject, I have found the best thing for cucumber beetles this year is a shop vac in the morning. It is fun too. I need lots of extension cord but I get em! It is easy to not suck up the bees and they just ignore you.

Back