• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Have you done your pest check today???

Just a friendly reminder to everybody to do daily pest/bugs checks at least once a day. You will be glad you did, just in case!
I was doing mine today and stumbled across a tiny aphid that was hiding in the crevice in one of my flowers, tough little bugger to spot!!! If I hadent done my daily pest check I never would have seen it, and would end up with lots of those little bastards running around! :woohoo:

I will try to do it when I get home( if it's not raining). I always find a few freaking aphids lately :confused:

But I have also seen a lot of ladybugs too :dance:

i use a very diluted malation when they get bad and clip off ripening pods and put on gloves and spray bottom of leaves, (knocking on wood) so far not too bad i just look for sticky stuff on top of leaves then check the leaves above the sticky leaf.

Every few days I spot a single aphid on one of my younger Chinenses. Always just a single one... it's kind of weird.

Luckily my plants haven't attracted a single pest yet. No bitten leaves, no swarms of aphids, no complaints.

Every few days I spot a single aphid on one of my younger Chinenses. Always just a single one...
Have you tried asking him to leave? =]

Just found a tomatoe hornworm on one of my butch t's. First one I've ever seen, hope it's the last.As stated in this thread, check for pests daily. Hornworms can wipe out plants quickly

You must have good eyes, to me one aphid on a random plant is like a needle in a haystack. I don't seem to have many pests on the peppers though, the ladybugs and wasps took care of them. Mostly there's grasshoppers or something eating my okra leaves every time the lawn sprinkler (or rarely rain) rinshes the Sevin off the leaves.

Well, I'm a bit of an insomniac, so I'll be lying around on the coach around 4-6 am when it's already light outside, and randomly look up through the leaves of those plants... Aphids are pretty easy to see through the leaf like that (they show up dark because they block the light going through the leaf). Much harder from the top.

Also - good eyes help and I don't have that many plants ;-)

I peek my plants each day when I come home from work, too ...

Yesterday I found these guys huddled up on a couple of lower leaves ... which I just pulled, and sprayed some Safer's to the tops and bottoms of the leaves before sundown ...

I'm used to them being white, but these are dark, and I think green (they were small) ...

34f66756.jpg

As an update to my "I don't have aphids" post above, I had aphids.

They were thicker on the top leaves than yours appear to be, though I'm sure you lost some while moving them. So far I've gotten rid of them, and kept them gone, by manually killing them without removing the leaves. After about 4 genocides I haven't found any more since and I was able to scrape off a bunch of their eggs too.

If the plants are big, or you've got a lot, pulling the leaves is probably the quickest. But killing them manually can save the leaves if you've got the time and the plants are still small enough to miss them. Of course, a single anecdote from me doesn't mean I'm right, this is my only aphid experience so far. They could just be in hiding, waiting to swoop in when I let my guard down.

As an aside, are you sure those are aphids? They look slightly beetle-like. Soft and squishy though?

Ants still trying to herd aphids, but having a hard time at it.
Brushed them all from bottom to top with a soft brush and DE.

Itching powder for bugs. I don't even check anymore, just reapply once a week.

Back