• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Have you ever grown a pepper that was nasty? Which ones?

I just watched a review where compmodder26 reviewed a pod and hated it. That was the first bad review I've ever watched. However, I'm not much on watching videos of people eating. My teenaged grandkids love watching the videos of people eating the superhots!

There have been instances where posters have mentioned "some" peppers that taste like battery acid. But, I can't remember them mentioning any of them by name.

What peppers do you consider poor or flat-out nasty?

Costa Rica Yellow Tabasco. 

Bitter as any pods I ever tasted.

It was a shame, because the plant was enormous (over 4' tall) and loaded with pods.    I made a tabasco style sauce from them, which now sits in a corner of my fridge and needs to be pitched.

Taste is very, VERY subjective. Lots of people like lemon drops, but I think they taste like old lady lipstick. (Remember when your grandma kissed you when you were young? That's it for me - ick.) Similarly, lots of people like orange habaneros (or the grocery stores wouldn't sell them), but they have a strong ammonia after-taste to me, so I avoid them. On the other hand, I love fataliis, but I know some people who can't stand them. Just because something tastes bitter (or anything else) to another person doesn't mean it's going to taste that way to you.

A couple years ago I grew what was supposed to be an orange habanero, but it had obviously been crossed with something else.
The pods went from green to red as they ripened, and to me, tasted like burning plastic. 
Their only saving grace was that they were really HOT!!

+1 to geeme. And I will add... that we could also grow 2 plants of the same variety from different sources, and they both taste different.

Aside from Cumari Pollux,,which I really like,,every other Praetermissum I have grown is nasty  :sick:

I will throw in Cili Goronong also,,Yuck!

:cool:
Kevin

Smoked mulato isleno
Maybe it was just me but i really couldnt eat it... Maybe bad smoking but i ate a smoked chipotle from the same company and that was really good tasting... Well, i guess people have a different taste

simonwtd said:
Well, i guess people have a different taste
I've read that supposedly there is a  gene that causes foods like... cilantro to taste like soap to some people. If this is true, then it might be the same for certain peppers.

I hear a lot of people saying that certain Chinense's taste like some kind of petroleum product.

Was it my review of a Douglah? I indeed despise the flavor of them! I would also attribute the "battery acid" flavor with Tinidad Scorpion Butch T peppers. They are tolerable tough since the initial flavor is sweet. The aftertaste is is the only part that is a bit offputting.
I will also add that overripe peppers will begin to be affected in taste negatively.
Geeme hit the nail in head with taste being subjective. Jamison and I are a perfect example of that. While he doesn't like Nagas and Bhuts, I am rather fond of their flavor.

compmodder26 said:
Was it my review of a Douglah? I indeed despise the flavor of them! I would also attribute the "battery acid" flavor with Tinidad Scorpion Butch T peppers. They are tolerable tough since the initial flavor is sweet. The aftertaste is is the only part that is a bit offputting.
I will also add that overripe peppers will begin to be affected in taste negatively.
Geeme hit the nail in head with taste being subjective. Jamison and I are a perfect example of that. While he doesn't like Nagas and Bhuts, I am rather fond of their flavor.

I rather like the flavor of Butch Ts so how is that about taste being subjective. They are way to hot for me to eat more than a sliver of but I have been drying the heck out of them this year for powder. Same with Bhuts, I like the flavor the powder has but I won't eat the whole pepper. 

I haven't yet met an annum that I didn't like. Chinenese though...It is about 50/50.Quite a few of them have that hab flavor. Yuk. Anything in my grow this year that tastes remotely like that fruity hab flavor will not be on my grow list next year. 

as already stated it's very subjective. to me douglahs taste like battery acid dipped in napalm and aji limon tastes like soap.

yeah... I agree with the green bell.... I love store bought ones... but for some reason, I have never been able to grow ones that are tasty... they are always thin walled and bitter.  never had luck with them.

Jetchuka said:
I've read that supposedly there is a  gene that causes foods like... cilantro to taste like soap to some people. If this is true, then it might be the same for certain peppers.

I hear a lot of people saying that certain Chinense's taste like some kind of petroleum product.
What a person learns to like as an young child also has major impact on likes and dislikes.

TOAW said:
What a person learns to like as an young child also has major impact on likes and dislikes.
though you do have a point, i have to disagree.

as a brewer, i notice my palate evolving constantly. hops i have said i hate i end up having in a beer that was exceptionally well produced and you can appreciate it.
as an extra point, peppers also possibly have the same angle, but the way they are grown rather than the way they are brewed is affecting the outcome.

Back