• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

hawaiian salt

Just wondering what is so special with this salt? and the color also? red salt i think?
is it different taste ?

thanks

It contains minerals unique to that area. The color is just the color of the mineral that is in the salt. Some people claim they can taste a definite flavor difference, but 4 out of 5 scientists say that this is not possible (as the minerals making up a maximum of 1% of the salt).

I don't know were you been buying salt , Hawaiian red salt has it's own taste, The red dirt from the ground( minerals) is mixed in the evaporating ponds with the salt. thats wy its red it only comes from here. most cooks use it for Hawaiian food and brine for the pig pit or bar b Q Don't need no stinking scientist to tell me it tastes better and its sea salt

I don't know were you been buying salt , Hawaiian red salt has it's own taste, The red dirt from the ground( minerals) is mixed in the evaporating ponds with the salt. thats wy its red it only comes from here. most cooks use it for Hawaiian food and brine for the pig pit or bar b Q Don't need no stinking scientist to tell me it tastes better and its sea salt

I agree with the taste of the Hawaiian Red Salt, We travel to Maui almost every year and there are two items, actually three items that we bring back( Hawaiian Salt, Peabody Coffee, and Pepper Seeds...

Hawaii Al is on it! I live on Kauai where we have the one of the last remaining working "lo'i pa'akai" or salt patch. In ancient times the area was known as 'Ukula. We just call it Salt Pond. There are 17 different families. Each family has their own section that they work and have for generations. This is one of the oldest traditions still in practice today. None of the salt harvested here is sold, only given away to family and friends with utmost love and respect. I have a couple friends that work the ponds every year and for me and my family it's an honor to recieve a bag, because you know they worked hard for it. We also call it Alae or Alaea salt. That is when the salt has the pinkish tint due to the clay where it is harvested like Al said. And it definately has a mellower flavor. We use it for evrything, but that's a whole nother story. Totally different from iodized table salt. If anyone would like some, let me know and I'll extend some aloha!
Saltpond.jpg

Back