• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Heartbreaking Dawns 1498 Cauterizer in Cook's Illustrated

Just used about a third of my bottle of this on dinner tonight. I cannot afford to like this sauce as much as I do.

Probably going to buy it. A friend of mine recently bought the three pack (with the 1542 Chocolate Hab, 1841 Ghost, and the 1498). All were fantastic, but the 1498 really took the cake. (It also duly cleared my sinuses.) Now I think it's necessary to get the cauterizer.

Thanks for Posting this. We had no idea until last week we had a wholesale inquiry and naturally I asked how he heard about us. It was a huge surprise! I need to pick up the issue.

I hope the wholesale inquiry is for national distribution. I would love to buy your sauces from a local grocer or other supplier.

Way cool press for some good sauces! Go HBD! Go HBD!

I'm much more of an 1841 fan, but yay for HBD!

That said, I'm kind of surprised at a couple of the sauces tested. Frostbite is explicitly meant for just adding heat without extra taste, and when you're looking for a good-tasting hot sauce... Picking a special reserve instead of one of Dave's normal brands wouldn't have different results, but it would be easier to find...

I'm much more of an 1841 fan, but yay for HBD!

That said, I'm kind of surprised at a couple of the sauces tested. Frostbite is explicitly meant for just adding heat without extra taste, and when you're looking for a good-tasting hot sauce... Picking a special reserve instead of one of Dave's normal brands wouldn't have different results, but it would be easier to find...

I am no hot sauce expert, but I guess this is just the name of the game when it comes to reviews. The truth is.. In a commercial review there are no chili heads, so you have to take the review with a grain of salt, but I do have to agree that HBD has wonderful flavor with great heat in all of the sauces that I have tried from them, but then again there are awesome products like Pure Evil that have no flavor, but definitely have a place in my kitchen. It's all a matter of perspective and in the perspective of this article I agree with the choice.

Just got a nice assortment from HBD, including this cauterizer sauce. Can't wait to try it along with the others!

Looks good HBD! Christopher Kimball is very fair and their recipes are just great. Chris does NOT like the hot stuff!

That's cool i'll have to check my copy when it arrives. Not surprised as I also have a bottle in the fridge.

Back