• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Heartbroken...please help!

rainbowberry said:
I'm hoping that not all is lost. I know it's of no help at the moment Tori but if you ever need any seeds please don't hesitate to PM me.

Rainbowberry, you are so kind and thoughtful thanks.
I don't think I'll be doing this again though. My chilli project really brightened my days up and gave me an interest.

Tori

pepperfever said:
So sorry Tori, that has to be devastating. Hope you learn what caused it.

Jackie

That's the worse thing, if I definitely knew what caused it I would feel better but I don't think I'll ever know properly.:rolleyes:

Tori,

As long as the plants don't turn into kindling, I would water the daylights out of them (late evening) and keep my fingers crossed. There are a few threads about plants being nearly destroyed by hail or careless workers, yet they are now surviving.

Mike

Hi! Thanks for all your support and excellent advice.
Over the last couple of days i went into the field in the evening and my husband and I dug up all the remainding plants in the field that were dying. We repotted them and watered like crazy!
This morning some are still alive!

With he ones I had in pots, we changed the soil and again watered them like crazy and have some survivors.

I wondered how long I should keep watering them each night before they start suffering from being overwatered if you know what I mean.

Thanks Tori

thats good news that some have survived..but hope this hasn't put you of trying again and hopefully getting the bottom of what caused this in the first place..if you need any seeds for next season,please p.m at anytime and will gladly send you seeds.

all the best :)

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. The plants I rescued from the field are doing well. Potted into large pots with fresh soil, food and flushed out with water seems to have done the trick! I am smiling again!

AlabamaJack said:
Excellent news Tori...are any of the plants in the field that were dying recovering?

Hi AJ

Yes! I have a lemon Drop that had no leaves just a stalk and it has tiny new growth on it! Other plants have been doing well since being transfered from the field into pots alhtough they don't seem to be able to hack the full sun at the moment so they are in my 'plant hospital' (ie under my carport in the shade in the afternoon with some morning sunshine

pepperfever said:
Glad you were able to save some Tori. Have you learned what caused the loss yet?

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

I don't think I'll ever properly know what caused it although you have all given me some good ideas.
The plants that I rescued from the field, flushed out and repotted all have a white powderlike substance that appears to be coming out of the leaves. I don't know what this substance is though.
Tori

looks like whatever the external agent was was successfully flushed out through the leaves by your re-watering operation. glad to hear you managed to limit the damage. your case is probably the ultimate pepper gardener horror story :(

Back