• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Heat from foods other than chilis.

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about those food items which are hot but...different? You know, horse radish, wasabi, hot mustard...even ginger. In particular, the way that horse radish goes right through your sinuses...chilis don't do that.

Would you say that if you like hot foods you will automatically like it in all its forms?

PrairieChilihead said:
Thanks Novacastrian! I really agree with what you say. And it never hurts to add something to give the mustard or whatnot a little extra kick.

Believe it or not i had never thought about about adding extra stuff to Mustard or Wasabi but then again i am a bit slow:lol:
I will try some of Scorpions' Wrath of God with some hot english mustard tonight:) Damn thats some nice sauce....

I have wasabi powder, 3 kinds of mustard, pickled ginger, etc, etc.

Oh, and habs and wasbi are fantastic together.

Food and cooking are fun. :D

Novacastrian said:
What kinda of mustards do you like Quad?
I like a good seeded mustard mmmmmmm

I like most any good stone-ground or spicy brown type mustard, but one of my faves is Plochman’s Natural Stone Ground Mustard.

07008064021p.jpg

It's awesome for sandwiches and potato/macaroni salads, you name it.

I also like Beaver Brand hot chinese mustards and horseradish stuff. You get the idea. ;)

What I like to do it experiment with mixing stuff, like using Hellman's + Plochman's + Sambal Olek or some other hot sauce...mebbe adding garlic powder, naga/hab powder, or what ever. Stuff like that.

Using mayo or ranch dressing to moisten up some wasabi powder is fun too for sandwiches. Did I mention I'm a sandwich freak? :D

-QS

I'm not a big fan of wasabi at all. Mustard's okay, but only in small amounts.

Something that is a bit less on the "hot" side and more on the "strong" side are onions. They're extremely versitile and can go well with a variety of dishes, even something that doesn't necessarily have to be hot.

i do like horseradish, english mustard (and other mustards) but wasabi does take a bit of getting used to!
All of the above differ form chilles because you'd use them as an ingredient to some things rather that eat alone products, strong english mustard is great added to milk that you use for the cheese sauce for your macaroni cheese.
I wouldn't any on there own but chillis can be eaten on their own and they give more than just heat

I love really strong English mustard and very strong horseradish too, you know like when it burns your nose and your eyes water. I put horseradish sauce with any veg or potatoes, not just beef.

My pops has been growing horseradish for as long as I can remember. Used to run us out of the house when it was grinding time. Because of that I can't stand any of the commercial stuff. I do love the way it clears out the sinuses though.

I've never had the cajones to even taste wasabi. That is going to change. I can

Hey Pat wasabi aint that bad mate, an initial burn like no other (try exhaling through your nose with a mouth full!) but the heat only lasts a couple of seconds. Great flavour i reckon.

PrairieChilihead said:
Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about those food items which are hot but...different? You know, horse radish, wasabi, hot mustard...even ginger. In particular, the way that horse radish goes right through your sinuses...chilis don't do that.

Would you say that if you like hot foods you will automatically like it in all its forms?

horse radish, never tried it.
wasabi, dont like it but is edible.
hot mustard, dont like any mustard!
ginger, I like!
A good strong white onion is also really good!

I'm a ginger lover. Fresh ginger, dried, candied, pickled, ale, beer, etc. It's just so warm and good and yum. I posted this elsewhere, but here what i did to ginger recently. I candied it. Yum!
IMG_0539.jpg

I can't stand horseradish/wasabi etc. Too strong. No thanks.

rainbowberry said:
I love really strong English mustard and very strong horseradish too, you know like when it burns your nose and your eyes water. I put horseradish sauce with any veg or potatoes, not just beef.

I love horseradish for the same reason, rainbowberry! It almost makes you go out of your mind for about 2 minutes then calms down. It's like peppers but so different.

fineexampl said:
I'm a ginger lover. Fresh ginger, dried, candied, pickled, ale, beer, etc. It's just so warm and good and yum. I posted this elsewhere, but here what i did to ginger recently. I candied it. Yum!

...and I think candied ginger is about the perfect candy. Warm right in the chest.

I like really rustic, deep flavoured, dark mustard. Coarse and crusty.

Anything which gives a satisfying burn is all good.

I love hot english mustard and wasabi.....

But you can't beat the chilli heat...

I have only today bought something that combines habanero heat and wasabi......

STA600682.jpg

It is the chilli factories "Hot chilli wasabi mustard" and it is bloody awesome stuff......Neil has reviewed it on youtube....

It is a great mix of the two great heats...

imaguitargod said:
I like real wassabi, not the crap that you get a all the sushi places.

I've always wanted to try the real wasabi but its hard to find outside of Japan, and also hard to grow. All my plants died:(

Back