• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Heat/Germination box

I made this 6 years ago to make homebrew in. It's been sitting in the garage for about 4 years. I finally dug it out and put it to use.

The door comes off easily and has an inspection mini door.
The fan was from a small heater and customised to fit the roof. It has 2 speeds.
PC090303.jpg

The light bulb is wired to a dimmer. I can maintain temps from 4 C above room temp. up to 40 C max. In summer it can reach 50ish C inside.
PC090304.jpg

With the fan on the temps drop about 3 C. It will stay within 1 or 2 C day/night. It's lined with 20cm polystyrene.
PC090305.jpg

Ignore my dodgy wiring, it has a cover that has been misplaced;)

Crazy thing is, I was going to buy some heat pads and stuff this week. Then I remembered my homebrew 'box':lol:

I'm thinking about modifying it so it can continue the germ process into a grow process as well.

looks like a winner there...the only thing you need to do is read about lighting requirements for seedlings...use the search function on this forum and you will see there have been multitudes of discussions about lighting....if has been an "over discussed" item...but as I said, there are many threads dealing with it...

I've read a LOT of posts about lighting: height, Kelvin values, length of exposure...etc...

There is wealth of info right here in this forum. Like you said AJ, just gotta use the search function;)

I've got until next season to get it sorted. Can't wait. Dang, just wish I found this forum during winter:(

You wouldn't take offense to me kind of ripping-off your idea a bit would you? I'll spraypaint the outside of it with "Deathtosnails' Germination Station" in big freakin' letters if you want, hell I don't care:lol:

JohnJBurfurkle said:
You wouldn't take offense to me kind of ripping-off your idea a bit would you? I'll spraypaint the outside of it with "Deathtosnails' Germination Station" in big freakin' letters if you want, hell I don't care:lol:

"Deathtosnails germination station"!!! what a great name:lol: Although it does sound a bit evil hehehe

Take any ideas you want. No trademarks here:)

Nice box.

Eumemmerring huh? I lived in Endeavour Hills for many years and am now in Hampton Park, I thought I could smell that lamb cooking from here. :)

Bit of a suggestion, if you turned the box on its side you would be able to fit more stuff in. As it is it's quite tall, you will need to lower the light and end up wasting space.

Not sure how feasible that is but is a thought :P

Agree with the "on it's side comment"

here is a pic of the germinator I built back in 2007..2010 will be its third season and it has worked quite well...as you can see, it will hold eight 72 cell seed starting trays...I have a remote bulb theromstat that I use in it to control the temp to 30C. I use two 100 watt halogen bulbs for heat (in each chamber) that is controled by the thermostat and two 40 watt shop light fixtures in each chamber with 6500K bulbs.

I have acheived about 80% germination on the average for close to 4000 seeds I have started...click on the pic to get a larger view

Yeah, no reason why I can't put it on its side. Might be able to fit a fluorescent light in it then.

If I was building a germ/grow box from scratch it would be differnent. More like a flat bottomed tunnel.

"...artificial light..." Nopers. I'm using the light as a heat source to germinate seeds. I don't have a heat mat and this works just as well, if not better as I can fit 5 x 72 seed trays in there with shelves.

Next winter it will become a grow box as well.:)

Yay for me...It works:onfire: I wish I started this earlier, but next season I will be ready. Along with all the knowledge garnered from THP I should (fingers crossed) be able to grow some chillies

4 days to germ. THSC Yellow 7 pod/t. This is near a window getting soft light for about 16 hours a day.

PC190324.jpg

Day 7: THSC Fatali and Naga Morich hoops. No Trin Scorp yet:(
They're all still in the germ box (with some ginger that's going great guns!!)

PC190325.jpg

Hippy's Yellow7s did well for me too, 8 from 8 germinated. The plants are biiiig too now, 65cm last time I checked (2'2" approx). You'll be rapt with them. Have 1 fully grown pod not ripe yet and a heap starting....... :hell:

Back