• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat mat size?

Getting ready to buy my first heat mat to start some seeds for next year, most likely late December/January some time.  Looking at 25 pepper seeds and who knows what else(tomato, cucumber, beans, etc...).

Looking at heat mats and I have no clue what size to buy.  I cant imagine myself ever needing more than probably a single 72 seed tray, although MAYBE 2 into the future.

My thought though is I am planning to start these and then transplant into solo cups indoors and then most likely outside into raised beds in ~march time frame.  When I do this transplant into the solo cups should they continue to be on the heat mat or is it not needed at that point?  If yes, then I will most likely buy the larger heat mat(21x48) so that I have room for all of the plants.

you don't need a heat mat at all.

if you want one for germinating you just need a small 1 tray(10x20") it sounds like. you don't need it when they are in solo cups.

IF you are going to get a heat mat (though given where you are at, I agree with juanitos that it's not needed), then also get a thermostat for it. Heat mats are generally not regulated on their own and can toast your seeds. Also, if you do choose to use one, it is only needed to the point that the root peeks out of the seed casing. After that, keeping a heat mat under the plants will tend to cause them to get "leggy", which means they're tall and almost all stem. You want them to grow out rather than up, as chile plants only put out pods at the growth nodes - the places where stems branch off from each other. Fewer stems means less production.

You are not in a very cold region. I used to live in TX (and then CA), but am now in OH. Even as cold as it gets here, when I germinate seeds I don't use a heat mat. I put the seeds in their containers on top of the fridge, as that is warm enough. Some people put them on top of stereo speakers, computer stuff, etc. Generally you want them to be in the range of 85F. A window that gets full sun can have that much heat right inside it. But hey - if you have money to shell out, go right ahead, but please make sure it lands in my pocket! ;)

I use a reptile heat mat which is sold by the ft.  It can be cut to any length and daisy chained to each mat.  This give me lots of options.  I always had problems germinating no matter where I put the seedings.  I is also nice to give them a warm bed on a chilly night in the GH/seed chamber.

I've been meaning to replace my old heating mat that gave out on me, as I grow several hundred plants the Reptile mat would work better for me does the mat come with temp gauge and How much per foot and how much is the thermostat if it comes separate? Thanks
George

wildseed57 said:
I've been meaning to replace my old heating mat that gave out on me, as I grow several hundred plants the Reptile mat would work better for me does the mat come with temp gauge and How much per foot and how much is the thermostat if it comes separate? Thanks
George

I bought it all from Amazon which came from Big Apple Pet Supply.  They have a vid explaining how it goes together but it's pretty simple and you don't need some of the stuff. 
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape

Flex Watt heat tape
http://www.amazon.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape-Watts/dp/B00AHEZF6S/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1449809567&sr=1-2&keywords=flex+watt+heat+tape

Wire with plug and crimped connections....Just press them on with pliers.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHEZF6I/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g199_i2_bs

The plug goes into a thermostat controller.  The controller has a thermostat which can be taped to mat or placed in the top of the soil.   There are a few other controller options.
http://www.amazon.com/MTPRTC-ETL-Certified-Thermostat-Germination-Reptiles/dp/B000NZZG3S/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1449809995&sr=1-1&keywords=jumpstart+thermostat

Back