• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Heat pad

Come to find out it's almost impossible to find a heat pad without an auto-shutoff. So after an hour thinking on this I came up with a solution.

Photo_Jan_29_7_50_20_AM.jpg

This is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZZG3S/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

I cut a small hole in the side of my tray's lid and then place the thermometer in the soil.

I also use a reptile heat mat. ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00164K2H0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i02 ). You'll need 2 for a full size seed starting tray though.

That will save you from buying an inexpensive germinating mat. Although the current draw from your receiver can use more power in standby than the 20 watts that a mat would use. If your receiver is top vented be careful with condensation and water, also heat build up.

That will save you from buying an inexpensive germinating mat. Although the current draw from your receiver can use more power in standby than the 20 watts that a mat would use. If your receiver is top vented be careful with condensation and water, also heat build up.

To much condensation = bad? I did put some water at the bottom of the tray. Power consumption really isn't a issue for me. I'm sure you are right though. It is a top & side vented receiver like most of them are.

Can you explain what's going on there?

milk said it. I need heat to germinate the super hots that Durham so graciously sent to me and I couldn't find a heat pad without an auto shut off. Stereo receivers, especially Onkyo, put off mass amounts of heat.

I don't have a thermometer so I'm just guesstimating here.

I have read about someone using their cable TV box. Mine does not get that warm! As an alternative to a thermostat with a seeding mat, you can use a timer to turn on for 2 hours and off for 1 and it seems to work well at not overheating.

Innovative! My concern with that much condensation is that the environment is nice and ripe for fungus or mold to develop on the surface of the soil (or peat, or whatever.)

Innovative! My concern with that much condensation is that the environment is nice and ripe for fungus or mold to develop on the surface of the soil (or peat, or whatever.)

As I lifted the lid, the smell hit me, and I thought about that same thing. Hmmm maybe I will drain excess water out of the bottom tray? I just wanted to make sure and keep them hydrated and try to avoid having to water from up top.

Could be, unless your receiver is waterproof!

The seed tray itself is plastic so it is water proff. That is until I crack or break it.

I have read about someone using their cable TV box. Mine does not get that warm! As an alternative to a thermostat with a seeding mat, you can use a timer to turn on for 2 hours and off for 1 and it seems to work well at not overheating.

This is a great idea!

Hey if its only one tray, then I say go for it. If you do need to add water to the tray just do it else where and set it back. I was only thinking that theres a possibility of splashing some water inside. I have 20+ trays going with more on the way...I did manage to tip a tray and the dirty water hit the floor.

Good luck with the seed germination !

Keep in mind that the soil should be damp, but not wet. If you have excess water on the bottom of the tray, it's probably too wet in there.

Ever heard of a thermostat?

I believe they're much cheaper than having to replace a piece of stereo equipment that has had water dripping into it. Could be wrong though.

Ever heard of a thermostat?

I believe they're much cheaper than having to replace a piece of stereo equipment that has had water dripping into it. Could be wrong though.

The receiver is defective. I've already replaced it hence now my tray sitting on top of it. It's a bonified heater now ;)

And thermostat? I mean I have one on my wall that controls my HVAC but I'm assuming you aren't talking about that so, no, I have not.

Like this? http://www.amazon.com/Lux-Heating-Cooling-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B000E7NYY8/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1359483207&sr=1-3

Oh and btw water is NOT dripping on the stereo. It has potential, but it isn't.

Receivers^^^^, cable boxes, modems...etc. They put out a fair amount of heat. Usually not too much though and I am guessing inside the dome it is around 80-87F. Great places to start seeds.

Just checked it with a hydrometer that my company has and it was 86.5 ;) Good call!

I had to look up Protimeter. It's actually the name of a company that produces moisture/temp measuring equipment. I was wrong about the hydrometer measuring humidity too. I meant hygrometer. A hydrometer actually measures the specific gravity of water. Who knew this was going to turn into a lesson on measuring temps/humidity/density of stuff?

Thanks for putting up with me.

Back