• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Heat Seekers

Regardless of their tolerance (or lack thereof), the thing that turns me off is them.
I still watch it because it has spicy food (lol) but they are terrible presenters.

I wish places would use the superhots also, but it's just now gonna happen anytime soon I don't think. There are too many people out there that think they can do spicy because they can munch on a few jalapenos. There is probably too much of a legal liability for mainstream restraunts to carry anything above serranos or even habs. I don't agree with it, but that's just the way it is.

Not necessarily, check out Heartbreaking Dawn's recipes or some of the recipes from Peppers in Rehoboth. They use superhots, but as a compliment to a sauce. Anyone, even the general public, can eat them if used in the correct way.

there's another post around here (it might have gotten lost in the recent glitch) about the heatseakers show.

Several of us met and did the Wing Dome Challenge at exactly the same place these guys went to. We disagree with the ingredients the restauraunt shows. We were told the sauce contained "habanero extract" and it had a nasty extract taste to it. The video didn't show any "extract".

Also, when we did the challenge, all of us ate more than those guys did, and 2 people (chileaddict and lazinfat) finished the challenge.

Scott Roberts has some comments on his site. I've only seen the Seattle episode, but apparently they make some pretty basic mistakes like saying "the seeds are left in the sauce because all the heat of a chile is in the seeds". And they don't talk about what is it that makes chiles hot? What is capsaisin? Where IS the capsaisin located?

It seems like a network is trying to capitalize on another food craze (spicy/hot foods) with another reality-type TV show.

imho, the show needs a LOT more work. It's always fun to see normal dudes eating hot schtuff and being sorry for it later, but I can watch that all day long on youtube. It would be nice to see the show have a little more substance and talk about the chiles/capsaisin/theBurn/cures... etc... more.

It just seems like the network was working on a spicy food show and picked a couple of dudes that can eat a little heat, but they don't really know what's what with chiles.

Regardless of their tolerance (or lack thereof), the thing that turns me off is them.I still watch it because it has spicy food (lol) but they are terrible presenters.

This pretty much captures my feelings exactly. I can only take
so many "yo"s and "bro"s in one sitting and much of their ca-
maraderie seems forced. I agree with JayT that Adam Richman
would be a better host.

This pretty much captures my feelings exactly. I can only take
so many "yo"s and "bro"s in one sitting and much of their ca-
maraderie seems forced. I agree with JayT that Adam Richman
would be a better host.

Agree with that completely. Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but their style of presentation turns me off. Then again, when you look at the options, who else could host the show?.....Richman, yes.....but there aren't any other good options that spring to mind.
So I guess I'm saying that I think the theme is great, the production and the hosts not so.

Agree with that completely. Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but their style of presentation turns me off. Then again, when you look at the options, who else could host the show?.....Richman, yes.....but there aren't any other good options that spring to mind.
So I guess I'm saying that I think the theme is great, the production and the hosts not so.

I don't think it's 'cause your getting old! They're just a touch moronic! :D
Even Man vs Food drives me nuts, although I think Richman has brains and knows what he's on about it's just really overdone... I can't even watch that end bit when they do that "press conference" thing, It's so corny it sickens me.
That, and the whole... "Meanwhile in Africa" thing... eeeeeeeeee

Anybody watch it? well, they're pretty funny guys; Aaron Sanchez and Roger Mooking. they go around trying to outdo each other with heat.
So they went to this place in Philly called 'Q BBQ TEQUILA BAR'. Anybody ever been there? I was wondering about his "Hell-fire sauce". He said he used Ghost Peppers and Habaneros, but they looked like Cascabels to me. Ribs looked really awesome tho.
The show's worth checking out, kind of entertaining.

I tend to watch shows about things I am not into. Don't know why, kind of like a vicarious thing I guess, or because when you watch shows about things you are into they always disappoint (because you know it so well you constantly pick out things that are wrong, etc.). I really have no interest in any TV show about chili peppers.

Anybody watch it? well, they're pretty funny guys; Aaron Sanchez and Roger Mooking. they go around trying to outdo each other with heat.
So they went to this place in Philly called 'Q BBQ TEQUILA BAR'. Anybody ever been there? I was wondering about his "Hell-fire sauce". He said he used Ghost Peppers and Habaneros, but they looked like Cascabels to me. Ribs looked really awesome tho.

Yes, sauce is a 6.5-7 on my scale. Peppers didn`t look like ghost peppers to me either.

P.S. Anyone in Philly and wants spicy chinese :lol: http://handynasty.net/

I tend to watch shows about things I am not into. Don't know why, kind of like a vicarious thing I guess, or because when you watch shows about things you are into they always disappoint (because you know it so well you constantly pick out things that are wrong, etc.). I really have no interest in any TV show about chili peppers.

I had no idea I felt that way. Until you put it so eloquently. maybe I'll lay off the Heat Seekers show. I CANNOT watch 'bath crashers', Or the "New Kitchen in 20 minutes show".

This is the only episode I seen and I agree, those peppers in his HellFire sauce were not Bhuts. Hell I even sent them an email saying the same thing. Haven't heard back from them, probably won't either. I even offered to send them a couple of real Bhut Jolokia's and they could see for themselves. Bah! TV shows suck.

Ribs did look pretty wicked.

Yeah! Patrick! and did you see him using a coffee grinder? I've burnt up 3 of those at home! (Finally bought a commercial one :party: )

I doubt you'll hear back from him, but you should send him one anyway!

After burning up 3 Krupps Coffee grinders, I finally broke down and bought a Waring Spice Grinder. I strongly recommend it. It's steep though ($150). I was just shocked to see that "professional" using that! LOL

Tarantulas huh?

Don't think I can justify $150 on a grinder right now. Yep, tarantulas.

I got a reply from a production assistant from the show. Basically said thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to the production crew and the cast. Oh well, at least someone read my email.

I suggested they go interview Dr. Bosland at CPI, get to know the truth behind the Bhut Jolokia.

If I hear anything else I'll post it here.

Yep, seen the show and I think they're target audience it the college crowd. I like Adam and think he’d be a great choice but I also think Guy Fieri from Food Network would be a great choice also. To me he has the ability to appeal to a broad range audience with a good mix of Yo and Bro for the younger audience with the information and techniques that we older folk like. So….

Peace Out Homie,
RM :cool:

Back