• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Heating Mats - Whats the best type ?

Hello all , im looking at buying a heat mat, Just wondering what all you guys use .The ones we have at out local grow shops are hydrofarm and heat n grow.
are they any good?

Electric fry pan full of sand :P
Not the answer you're looking for but it's free if you got a spare one and a thermometer.

I have a couple hydrofarm ones, but I don't use them any more because they heat very unevenly. That's the only kind I've used but I wouldn't recommend it. I get better results using the heat from the grow light.

Yeah, I want to know too! Hawaii Al says I might burn my house down puttem on top of the modem. I think he might be right, this bag is pretty hot on the bottom. :scared:

I just use one of the Bunnings heated propogators (50 bucks ) check out wildfire chilli's propagation kit she is in Perth and would be a good bet to steer you in the right direction.

I just use one of the Bunnings heated propogators (50 bucks ) check out wildfire chilli's propagation kit she is in Perth and would be a good bet to steer you in the right direction.

Trippa whats the brand name of the one you got from bunnings? , i went there today and they said they havnt sold them for like 4 years but im sure i have seen them there and it wasnt 4 years ago.

Trippa whats the brand name of the one you got from bunnings? , i went there today and they said they havnt sold them for like 4 years but im sure i have seen them there and it wasnt 4 years ago.

not a heat-mat exactly but does the exact same job all the same.

This is the exact model and brand that I got from bunnings (down the pot/jiffy pellet/seed/hydroponic Isle in my bunnings) Gardman electric propagator keeps a nice steady heat in my experience although a plug in thermostat like this would round it out perfectly, but I have not got one myself and it works ok without it.

Found a couple different maufacturers that have several different sizes. Hydofarm and Gro-mat! The small (1 tray) size was around $25.00-28.00 dollars.

Have two Hydro farms one about 10 years old and a new one both on hydro farm stats work great, put mat on a piece of form insulation, put plastic tray (10 X 20 ) on top will help even temperature out so it is within 2* from middle to sides.

not a heat-mat exactly but does the exact same job all the same.

This is the exact model and brand that I got from bunnings (down the pot/jiffy pellet/seed/hydroponic Isle in my bunnings) Gardman electric propagator keeps a nice steady heat in my experience although a plug in thermostat like this would round it out perfectly, but I have not got one myself and it works ok without it.
Trippa i went to the grow shop to buy a hydrofarm but he had the older model ones and i been reading about problems with heat spots causing bubbling on the mat.
So i went to bunnings and got the same one that you have.i will still look at getting a hydromat one later but ill see how this one goes first , does yours work ok?

Yeah it works fine. I found to keep the heat consistent and even you need to ensure you keep the wicking mat moist at all times and also put a towel underneath the whole unit.
You'll need to do a bit of fiddling around with vents etc and moisture levels to get it going well for your conditions but it can be done with little fuss really

I use Hydrofarm mats, no complaints. I have a double and two singles that rest atop 3/4" plywood and haven't tried using any other form of insulation yet. I think Neil heats an aquarium full of water and floats his seed trays with good results. Whatever works best for you is the best way to do it. :)

Back