• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Heating my small grow room

Now that my head is spinning with all the "light/bulb info" here, I need to move on to my last issue which is how to heat my small grow area. I plan on only having about 20 plants inside an enclosure of emergency blankets in my basement. I only need to keep them there for about 16 weeks before transplanting outside, so I'm hoping a 4-T8 fluoro fixture will be adequate for 20 Solo cups, or 4" pots. If not, please advise.

The problem is that my basement will be getting down to 60F during that time.

Is there an inexpensive way to heat the area within the enclosure? Is it even necessary?

Thanks.

I buy a cheap little heater with a built in thermostat at Walmart or somewhere that it is cheap and put it inside. Careful that the heat is not too hot to burn the baby leaves---that is real important.
I fried more than one plant by putting the heater too close to the plants.
luck

60 will be fine just as long as your not germinating them in solo cups. And yes you will be able to fit 20 under that light.

I've had great luck using bottom heat under seedlings suing X-Mas rope lights. Also great for germination as well. Here;s a great how-to link (this is exactly what I ended up doing):

http://doorgarden.com/02/home-made-bottom-heat-seed-starting

Good luck!

(Oops - also meant to add that I put the rope lights on a timer so that it isn't on when the overhead lights are one - don't want to overheat them. Also, be sure to get the rope lights that are NOT made with LED's since they hardly put out any heat - only get the "old school ones" that are made with tiny incandescent light bulbs and are in a colored PVC jacket, usually dark blue, so that it is 100% waterproof. I got a 25' section on sale at Home Despotism for $10)

you could just hook up a few incandescent bulbs or halogens or any other light that puts heat out, if the space is small enough they will put out plenty of heat. You could hook them up to a cheap thermostat to turn on and off with the temp

Are you sure the lights won't provide enough heat? I assume your basement is below-grade.

No, I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking. My basement is below grade. Inside temp stays at around 60F during winter.

60 will be fine just as long as your not germinating them in solo cups. And yes you will be able to fit 20 under that light.

Why do the solo cups matter as opposed to 4" pots? Thinner?

IF your gonna germinate your gonna want to keep temps around 80-85. I meant established seedlings with a couple sets of leaves would be fine with night time temps of 60.

Had a similar setup last year and the lights will provide more than enough heat (maybe too much depending on the size of enclosure) during their on cycle. 60 degree off cycle temps are no problem. 16 weeks may be an issue. I think after four months most of mine were in 1# pots almost ready for their final pot up to 5#. You may have to add some more intense light depending on how well they do for you around the midway point. A few strategically placed CFL's should do the trick when the time comes!

Had a similar setup last year and the lights will provide more than enough heat (maybe too much depending on the size of enclosure) during their on cycle. 60 degree off cycle temps are no problem. 16 weeks may be an issue. I think after four months most of mine were in 1# pots almost ready for their final pot up to 5#. You may have to add some more intense light depending on how well they do for you around the midway point. A few strategically placed CFL's should do the trick when the time comes!

Do you think 16 weeks is too far in advance of the last frost to start the chinenses?

Based on some advice I got, I was going to use 4 GE Plant and Aquarium bulbs. So, you're telling me these might not be adequate? What watt CFLs would you suggest?

I wouldn't buy the plant/aquarium bulbs...I would use "daylight" bulbs with a temp of 5000 to 6500k. As far as the CFLs I think the best bang for the buck are the 100w equivalent (26w actual) daylight bulbs. 16 weeks isn't "too early" to start you just better plan on several pot ups and quite a bit of room. If you treat them right for that amount of time they should be in at least 1# containers and maybe two feet tall depending on species.

Back