• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Heatwave Approaching

All of my plants seemed ok with the heat today too. Also, your right IGG, my tomatoes loved the heat of the day, I actually found a baby 'mater' today on one of the plants I started in January. I'll share a picture tomorrow.

Heat is good if the plants are used to it and they don't dry out. I try to keep my greenhouse around 30C this time of year. Any hotter and I have to water everything twice a day. Actually most plant are out of the greenhouse now and loving a break from the heat.

It is 100F here right now and all of my plants are loving it...even the new plantouts are fluorishing now...just have to water the larger ones twice a day and the others once a day...the wind has decided to finally lay down a bit...only blowing about 15-20 now...

I pretty much evacuated my greenhouse today. I had a hard time keeping it under 45C so most everything is outside enjoying the sun and wind and rain. Its also June 8th which is a date I always go by for frost here, because in 2005 we had a near frost. I hope I'm safe now!

Does humidity influence how pepper plants handle the heat?

In summer here in Melbourne, we can get in excess of 40+C for a few days in a row, but its always an extremely dry heat, since most of the time we only reach those temperatures with northerlies from the desert.

I imagine humid conditions would be much better, might just have to make sure the pots are heavily watered in the morning.

Anyway, winter has just started here, think I have to contend with the opposite of the thermometer this time of year ;) Damn you Queenslanders and your 20+C temperatures still.

Back