• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hell Ya Hot Sauce - Thanks to tctenten :)

SmokenFire

Staff Member
Business Member
So yesterday I came home to find a big ole box of peppers sent to me by our very own tctenten.  What to do you ask?  HAWT SAUS!!!

The playas; the peppers from TC, some garlic and onion along with a couple dried/greens from me and a bottle of aged pepper vinegar.

34dndw8.jpg

Chop em up, put em in the pot!  

mvkiuh.jpg

Add special aged pepper vinegar:

104marl.jpg

My kids picked raspberries in the backyard, why not throw some in the mix?  

w0q5ux.jpg

Cooked covered for about 40 minutes.  Hit it with the boat motor and here we are:

ayq4up.jpg

Into the food mill for GRINDAGE!!!

2hejyc9.jpg

And now zee bottlings!

2qdx4du.jpg

The final:

2cnf8m9.jpg

The sauce is very nice; starts a touch sweet then tart/tang from vinegar slowly giving way to the heat from the peppers.  Not too hot -  about a 5 on the heat scale - nice bouquet of the berries but only a bit of their tart/sweet is noticeable in the sauce.  I'm going to let it age for a month or so and then send it out. ;)  

Recipe:

2 lbs mixed peppers (alma paprika, red cherry, aji golden, bahamian goat, aleppo, jimmy nardello, criolla sella, landrace xalapa, 'pdn' (no idea, small dark purple pods taste like aji cito) shishito, karaman turkish, yellow fatalli, purple jalas, padron and fresnos.)
1 lb ripe raspberries
3oz onion
3 oz garlic
2 cups aged pepper vinegar
1 cup water
1 oz dried kashmir and smoked jalapeno peppers
1 tbsp salt

1. Throw everything in the pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover.  Cook 30-40 minutes.
2. Stick blend to a smooth consistency.
3. Put entire batch through a food mill.
4. Taste and adjust flavoring as needed.  I added an additional tsp of salt and about 3 tbsp of pex's buckwheat honey.
5. Bottle it up mang!!

Thanks for reading :D

tctenten said:
Going to give this a try.  Do the peppers need to be dried first(I used dried when I make pepper infused oil) or are fresh peppers okay?

I used exclusively fresh peppers in the batch pictured above - I think dried would work but not as well or as quickly.  Though I do think dried would impart more/better color eventually.  

SavinaRed said:
Looks fantastic. I want to grow some raspberries next year. I'm growing pink lemonade blueberries, blue ray blueberries, lingonberries and strawberries .

I planted a Raspberry Bush last year It's growing like crazy but no berries :( It flowers but I guess what should be berries are only dry clumps.. Not sure whats happening.

Gargoyle91 said:

I planted a Raspberry Bush last year It's growing like crazy but no berries :( It flowers but I guess what should be berries are only dry clumps.. Not sure whats happening.

You might need a couple of them to pollinate G.  Just my first thought at least.  

You might need a couple of them to pollinate G.  Just my first thought at least.
yes I just bought 2 different species of raspberries for pollination just like I did with my blueberries. I still have to find another lingonberry plant to cross pollinate with my other plant.

Back